PDA

View Full Version : Adox MCC 110/Flaking Emulsion

Merg Ross
30-Oct-2011, 11:53
After using this paper for close to two years, I am having my first experience with the emulsion flaking. All of the 2010 packets of the 8x10 glossy were processed without problems, approximately 500 sheets worth.

With the current emulsion, the flaking starts as early as the developer step, so I am assuming that the problem is in the original coating process.

Has anyone experienced flaking with this paper (uncut and straight from the packet)?

The emulsion number in question is: 0110 0093-1-3B 01-11

I will continue using this paper and hope that the present problem is an anomaly.

Thanks,
Merg

Sal Santamaura
30-Oct-2011, 12:02
...Has anyone experienced flaking with this paper (uncut and straight from the packet)?

The emulsion number in question is: 0110 0093-1-3B 01-11...I've neither used any of that emulsion number nor experienced the problem with earlier batches. Do contact Mirko to find out what's going on:

mirko.boeddecker@fotoimpex.de

Merg Ross
30-Oct-2011, 12:23
Thanks, Sal. I will do that.

Have you ever contacted Mirko about larger packaging, say 100 or 250 sheet boxes?

Looking at my inventory, my remaining emulsions are all from 8/2010. This is my only packet from 2011. It really is a beautiful paper!

false_Aesthetic
30-Oct-2011, 13:11
I just noticed the same problem. But its on 5x7 paper. I just chalked it up to the co. cutting the paper with a crap blade.

Nathan Potter
30-Oct-2011, 14:59
false, that implies the flaking occurs along the edge of the paper but not centrally. When I encountered this with some Ilfochrome paper an examination under a binocular microscope revealed fine cracks in the emulsion, from a rough edge cut presumably.

I wonder if Mergs problem is at the edge only. A possibility is the gradual buildup of residue at the cutting edge of the blade.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Merg Ross
30-Oct-2011, 17:09
Update. After looking at prints from earlier emulsion numbers, I also note flaking along the edges. What made it more noticeable recently, was that the prints were contact 8x10's, resulting in a black border from the film rebate. With the black border, the flaking was easily seen against the white paper base.

However, with enlarged prints and white borders from the easel blades, the flaking was not as easily seen. I just put a low power glass on those earlier prints and there is similar evidence of flaking.

So, my conclusion is that this paper flakes along the edges, perhaps caused by the cutting process. As Nate mentioned, I do see a slight cracking of the emulsion where the flaking occurrs.

Accepting this as a characteristic of the paper, I will continue with its use. I have been reprinting some earlier work and am extremely satisfied with the results.

Thanks for the replies.

Doremus Scudder
31-Oct-2011, 03:22
Merg,

I use the Adox Nuance a lot (one of my favorites now) and have not noticed any flaking. I'll go back and check when I get back to my U.S. darkroom.

I print with a white border that I trim away with a rotary trimmer anyway, so if it's just edge flaking, I can easily live with it.

I'd be interested to hear what Mirko has to say also. Could you post his reply when you get it for us here?

Thanks and best,

Doremus

Sal Santamaura
31-Oct-2011, 06:29
Thanks, Sal. I will do that.

Have you ever contacted Mirko about larger packaging, say 100 or 250 sheet boxes?...I have not, but there's been much gnashing of teeth by others over that matter, mostly at APUG. Here are two individual posts that include his comments:

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1095365

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1096795

...I use the Adox Nuance a lot (one of my favorites now) and have not noticed any flaking...Nuance is manufactured by Fotokemika on a 1950s vertical dunk coating line. MCC110 is made by InovisCoat on a modern horizontal line that used to be Agfa's and was previously used for test coatings. Former Agfa engineers reassembled and operate it in InovisCoat's facility. Two completely different products that I'd not expect to share a propensity toward flaking or any other characteristics.

Mark Sampson
31-Oct-2011, 07:00
I see this occasionally with Ilford Multigrade FB when I make contact proofs. I always thought it was due to those prints being wet for a long time. Since they are proofs, not finals, and I always leave a white border on my final enlargements, I haven't been too concerned. Just started using Adox and haven't noticed it there yet.

David Karp
31-Oct-2011, 09:25
I too thought it was due to leaving the prints in the water for an extended time period. I can't think of any paper I have used that did not show this edge flaking after leaving the prints in a holding bath for hours during a printing session. I use a borderless easel, and regularly expect to trim off thin slices from each edge, so no harm no foul. The MCC110 does not seem any better or worse than what I have experienced with other papers.