PDA

View Full Version : Pricing in the used world

false_Aesthetic
29-Oct-2011, 19:45
Hey,

Is it just me or does there seem to be a price-high trend in the used market. I don't mean on this forum or over at APUG but other places.

When I see things, I keep thinking "REALLY? THAT MUCH?!" does anyone else see this trend?

TY

Tim Meisburger
29-Oct-2011, 19:55
I've seen it a lot over the last few years, but in the last six months I've seen it start to go the other way. People just don't feel like they have the money to spare these days.

Still, I don't think we will ever get back to the days of super cheap (relative to original cost), as too many people have realized the value and creative possibilities of old lenses and gear. Except (so far) 35mm, which seems to have been completely displaced by digital.

BrianShaw
29-Oct-2011, 20:10
Yes and no. I see a lot of prices that are way more than I would pay. Then I sometimes see exactly what I want/need at a good price. On some of the forums I know there are individuals who consistently practice the "buy low; sell high" philosophy. That's fine but it never attracts me to whatever they sell... no matter how much I want it. The good news is that most everything will be avaialable at some point at the right price, if one is patient.

John Kasaian
29-Oct-2011, 23:37
I've been enjoying a stack of Shutterbugs from 1979-1982 and I was thinking the prices of certain popular lenses like the 10" WF Ektar, 203 f/7.7 Ektar and 14" Commercial Ektar back then are pretty much the same I see them go for today, while the prices of Wollensak Veritos and Vitax have risen astronomically.

Kuzano
30-Oct-2011, 10:44
Hey,

Is it just me or does there seem to be a price-high trend in the used market. I don't mean on this forum or over at APUG but other places.

When I see things, I keep thinking "REALLY? THAT MUCH?!" does anyone else see this trend?

TY

With the "demise" of film being not nearly as folks anticipated, many are cautiously re-entering the film market.

Film classes at our local community colleges are "wait listed", and I suspect this is happening country wide as people find this niche market.

My experience on selling medium and large format on eBay has been good, with stable, and in some cases, rising prices over the last five years. A well done eBay listing draws both interest and rising prices, although I will say that most of my LF cameras have been going to Europe and Eastern Bloc countries. I sent three large format cameras to Federation of Russia in the last 4 months at very good prices. (Good being top of the market)

My MF folders are going to Pacific Rim countries... European folders. Again heavy interest and good prices for me.