PDA

View Full Version : If an idiot screams in the forest...

Ed Pierce
24-Sep-2003, 11:12
A few days ago I spent an enchanting morning with my 4x5 at Bingham Falls in Vermont, a short drive from my home. This place is extremely rugged; I probably should get professional help from a real climber.

Anyway, I had set my bag down, and was under the dark cloth when I heard a horrible sound. My bag had rolled down into the abyss. Worse, it was open. Film holders, light meter, etc., all went clattering down through the boulders.

My howl of anguish echoed off the walls of the ravine, but if nobody heard it, did I really make a sound or just imagine it?

But somebody up there likes me. My 120 Super Angulon stayed in the bag. And, amazingly, nothing went into the river. My spotmeter got a little more banged up, is all.

jantman
24-Sep-2003, 11:38
I'd say you made a sound, because it seems like Someone heard your scream for help.

Mark Houtzager
24-Sep-2003, 11:38
That's great news, Ed! I'm sure something like this happens to all of us once or more often and some are luckier than others.

I meant to drive up to Vermont this weekend, but I don't think the weather is cooperating. What is your take on the current fall colors conditions in VT/MA?

Thanks,

Mark

Bill_1856
24-Sep-2003, 13:05
Damn! I wondered what that noise was. (Bill in Florida).

Carl Weese
24-Sep-2003, 15:07
You never know when it works out ok. A couple years ago I was working at the edge of a frozen stream with my ancient 7x17 inch Korona. What I thought was shore gave way under my foot and dropped my leg into the stream, which was not the problem. I'd been stopping the lens down at the moment, and when I dropped, by arm came down and split the front rail of the camera.

What worked out, after the unprintable and loud sounds I made, was this. The front rail had been cracked and not very stable anyway. After carefully gluing and clamping the split wood and letting it season for several days, the whole camera was much more stable. Shoulda done it years ago.---Carl

Louie Powell
24-Sep-2003, 16:47
Mark asked about where we are in the change of colors.

Here in Eastern New York (about the same as Southern Vermont), the colors are just starting to change. I would say that peak is 10-12 days away.

And the weather forecast for this weekend is rain.

Jeffrey Scott
24-Sep-2003, 17:00
I thought that was a Wookie crying out...that was YOU ????????????????

mark lindsey
24-Sep-2003, 19:07
I was shooting at the pismo sand dunes ages ago when I was still in school and my 4x5 flopped right over frontways...right onto my brand new rodenstock 75mm wide angle, yes thats right, front element buried in the sand. I don't have that lens anymore, but it still makes me shudder to think about it.

Christian Olivet
24-Sep-2003, 21:55
I remember when I went to photograph right at the edge of the cliff over the ocean here in Maui. I set the camera on the tripod and as I am going to the car to get the light meter a strong gust of wind came. I knew what was going to happen. I turned back and saw the camera tipping forward and taking a leap into the ocean 100 feet below. I rushed to the edge and saw the pieces of wood, glass, plastic, etc bouncing off the wall and diving into the water. There was no way to get there. The funny thing is that the tripod detached from the camera (It was a bender, not the strongest rig) and landed on a little piece of flat land about 4 feet down from my feet. I hooked it with a rope and went home laughing all the way down. My $300 dollar bender and kodak lens rest in peace. I

Rob Barker
25-Sep-2003, 00:07
I could just hear your scream from here - there's no mistaking the howl of a man watchiung his kit descend to a watery grave. Glad you pretty much got away with it!

Rob in the UK

Bill Jefferson
25-Sep-2003, 03:09
Mark, Its a little early Im in East Topsham, near Barre, with my luck, it will peak in the middle of the week

I thought that was a bear howling,hmmmm

Bill

Ralph Barker
25-Sep-2003, 15:59
Ed, although the Rocky Mountains seem to have absorbed your scream of anguish, so I didn't hear you here in CA, I'm glad that not all was lost for you.

BTW, a professional climber would tell you to always remember to set your safety points and not to forget the safety rope. ;-) A tent peg for the pack, and a length of nylon cord tied off to a peg or a tree for the camera/tripod wouldn't be a bad idea working in that type of circumstance. Oh, and don't forget one for the photographer, as well.

Erik Eks
25-Sep-2003, 17:40
Be glad it wasn't you who fell down the abyss, Ed. I wish you Godspeed. You cannot be too careful.

Ellis Vener
26-Sep-2003, 09:08
I used to know an assistant -- not one of mine -- who was so busy taking an incident meter reading that he wasn't looking where he was going and walked off the edge of a two story building.

Once I was so busy getting my gear out of the trunk of a cab in Acapulco that I left a brand new 500mm f/8N Nikkor n thre back seat of the cab. Another time I was very anxious to get back on the road and left a very expensive center weighted filter for my 90mm f/4.5 Grandagon on the roof of my car. And once I managed to drop a Spot Meter F in a little creek. I did a lot of bracketing that day.

Do you feel any better now?