PDA

View Full Version : need help profiling my scanner!

mob81
29-Oct-2011, 02:07
I’m looking for software that can profile the scanned targets that I made with the iQsmart2 scanner. I tried LProf in Linux Ubuntu and windows 7 and on both the LProf crashes as soon as I open the IT8 Target on the LProf!!!
I also have Vuescan Professional from my older scanner days and it opens the IT8 Target scans but I can’t output the previewed target when I press Scan or make it as ICC profile!
Can anyone suggest a program that would profile from the scanned target (I use MAC OSX) or linux and windows.

Regards,
Mohammed

photoSmart42
29-Oct-2011, 07:29
I profile my scans in Photoshop CS5 using the ACRCalibrator plug-in. I tried messing around with LProf and all that, but it was a PITA like you're discovering. Best to scan a target (I reserve one shot of my roll to take a shot of my ColorChecker target) with zero adjustments and maximum DR/color depth, then run the TIFF through ACR and ACR Calibrator. Works great!

pherold
31-Oct-2011, 12:03
The 3rd party profiling packages that do scanner profiling are Monaco Profiler, ProfileMaker, and you can get a scanner module for the i1Match software if you have an i1pro device. None of these would be very cheap to get into if you don't already have a reason to buy them. However, now that X-Rite has released i1Profiler, their older apps like these may be available for sale used from someone. There are also services that will do a scanner profile for you, including ours.
http://www.colorforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=440

mob81
1-Nov-2011, 01:31
I really appreciate the info provided. Service is good but if I need to re-profile the scanner every few months or so, it comes really costly too!

How about the inCamera plug in from PictoColor? is it any good? I used to profile the scanner with vuescan and it did a good job but I can't get it to output the profile once I try to open the target from the iQsmart scan, even It shows in the profile in the preview window!