PDA

View Full Version : Expired FP4

Nguss
28-Oct-2011, 12:13
I have not used expired film before but picked up some FP4 today which expired in July this year. Can I ask if anyone has any particular tips for both using FP4, and whether you think the July expiry date is likely to require compensation? I am just going to take it out and try it, but any tips would be useful.

Thanks again.

BrianShaw
28-Oct-2011, 12:16
No compensation required.

Brian C. Miller
28-Oct-2011, 12:17
Film isn't like something from the produce section. Film that is years "out of date" can still be just fine, with no visible degradation. Go ahead and use it.

BrianShaw
28-Oct-2011, 12:17
Film isn't like something from the produce section. Film that is years "out of date" can still be just fine, with no visible degradation.

... except if stored under really horrid condition, of course.

Nguss
28-Oct-2011, 12:29
Thanks, hopefully it should be o.k as it was from a local camera shop. Is it worth underexposing slightly with this as I had a recommendation to expose HP5 at 320 and I really like the results.

BrianShaw
28-Oct-2011, 12:30
Underexpose only if you want more density in your neg, not as 'compensation". And a 1/3 stop difference really isn't that significant.

Nguss
28-Oct-2011, 12:42
Cheers! I will give it a go at 125 and 100. Thanks again, I really appreciate the helpfulness round here.

Harold_4074
28-Oct-2011, 13:00
There seems to be a bit more variability with contemporary Ilford, compared to the Kodak products of days gone by. I have had film from a major retailer develop noticeable fog by the time it reached its marked date, and other film from the same source be fine years beyond the marked date. It is possible that Kodak just had a higher turnover, but it is also possible that Ilford is marking the film for its anticipated remaining life with (occasionally) a bit too much optimism. There was a thread a while ago related to their practice of not dating enlarging paper, presumably so that retailers would not have to manage inventory that was at or beyond its sell-by date.

By and large, FP4 is a pretty durable stock, but you would be well advised to test it before using it for anything critical or irreplaceable. This advice probably applies to any sensitized product, regardless of whether it is beyond a marked "expiration" date.

Jim Noel
29-Oct-2011, 09:34
I use outdated FP4+ almost all the time. Some of my friends say I don't know how to use film when it is in date. Of course, I do keep my film in a refrigerator or freezer.

Tracy Storer
29-Oct-2011, 09:56
Thanks, hopefully it should be o.k as it was from a local camera shop. Is it worth underexposing slightly with this as I had a recommendation to expose HP5 at 320 and I really like the results.

NOTE: rating HP5 at 320 vs the mfgs rating of 400 is OVER exposing(not by much), not UNDER exposing.

Under-rate to overexpose, over-rate to underexpose.

Roger Cole
29-Oct-2011, 09:57

Underexpose only if you want more density in your neg, not as 'compensation". And a 1/3 stop difference really isn't that significant.

I believe you are referring to over, not under, exposure. I agree that 1/3 stop is almost unnoticeable in black and white.

Most black and white films are at their best, tonally, at less than box speed, but grain increases. In sheet film I routinely expose most films about a stop more than box speed, less necessary with TMX and TMY but does no harm there either.

I shoot a fair amount of FP4+ in 120. It's a nice film. I generally shoot it at box speed but I'm also usually doing so with a hand held TLR. 1/3 stop won't make much difference. 2/3s stop, EI 80, will give you better shadow detail at the expense of slightly more grain.

Nguss
29-Oct-2011, 12:53
Oops, sorry you are right about my over/under expsore faux pas. I ended up bunging it in the freezer until I use the HP5 up. Managed to take 1 photo in 8 hours today with that so it may be some time. My mate who took his digital camera took about 50-100, don't envy him sorting through that lot.

BrianShaw
29-Oct-2011, 16:41
Ooooh, I'm very embarassed. Thanks for the correction, Roger.