PDA

View Full Version : LF(up to 8x10) slide projector-homebrewed

Daniel Stone
27-Oct-2011, 19:35
Hey guys,

I've found that using an overhead projector I pulled from the trash bin at the local h.s.(while dumpster diving for cans, its how I pay for my film, and get a little workout as well ;)) to project my 4x5 and 8x10 slides works quite well! I made some "masks" from black 4-ply matboard(black on both sides), and once I've focused the projector to the height of the film plane for enlarged size, it works very nicely!

Just wondering if any of you have done something similar. I made just one "mask" for each format from 6x6-->8x10, so I can leave the individually sleeved transparencies in their sleeves, minimizing fingerprints on the film. Using the simple v-fold polyster envelopes(clear on both sides), works great, and the results are super sharp, and very "awe" inspiring to say the least.

Sure makes those 35mm slide shows of the past look like p+s grainy pics. 50x62" or so on the pull-up screen looks quite impressive, and you can walk up to the screen if you really want to see fine detail :), which you can :D!

-Dan

ImSoNegative
27-Oct-2011, 21:00
very cool idea!!

Frank Petronio
28-Oct-2011, 04:22
It would be cool for installations... except that I was conditioned by 19-years of schooling and a few more in the corporate world to automagically go into doze-mode as soon as those things click on.

It only set the stage for PowerPoint....

Emmanuel BIGLER
28-Oct-2011, 05:26
Just wondering if any of you have done something similar

Yes, a friend of mine did it in order to project some 8x10" black and white slides that he had made by the classical B&W reversal process (1-st developer, bleach, re-expose, 2nd-exposure)

I suggested him what you probably already do yourself: simply lift the slide by one centimeter, or say 1/4" or 1/2" in order that the rings of the Fresnel lens are out of focus. Doing so you loose some availble illuminated field but you can see the image withouh those disturbing rings.
My friend simply made a wooden frame to separate the projected slide from the Fresnel lens by a sufficient amount compatible withe the available travel of the the focusing rack & pinion system.