PDA

View Full Version : What case for negative carrying

TachoJR
27-Oct-2011, 03:23
Hello,

I'm absolutely novice in LF so I don't know how to do next:

Where do you store your B&W negatives before processing (in order to concentrate sessions )?
Where/how do you send your C41 negatives to the lab? (When you send less sheets than a whole box).
Are there light proof cases for that?

Thanks a lot
Cheers
Tacho (from Spain)

Joanna Carter
27-Oct-2011, 03:32
I would store them in a spare, three part, film box that you bought the film in. If you don't have any spare boxes yet, try contacting your lab and asking if they have a couple to spare.

When you want to send film to the lab, put them in one of your three part boxes, label it clearly as to what film is inside and ask the lab to return the box with the developed film.

TachoJR
27-Oct-2011, 03:41
Thanks a lot Joanna.
I'd imagine that's the solution. I'll follow it

I would store them in a spare, three part, film box that you bought the film in. If you don't have any spare boxes yet, try contacting your lab and asking if they have a couple to spare.

When you want to send film to the lab, put them in one of your three part boxes, label it clearly as to what film is inside and ask the lab to return the box with the developed film.

Vaughn
27-Oct-2011, 03:59
I have about 20 8x10 holders and about the same in 4x5. Generally, at the rate I expose negatives, my goal is to develop before I need to reload a holder -- so my exposed film is stored in the film holder. If I do not have any empty holders, or holders without unexposed film in them, then I am behind in my processing and its time to get into the darkroom -- not the out-of-doors!

TachoJR
27-Oct-2011, 04:20
:) Ok, is another valid way for facing this matter!
ThnkU vm

I have about 20 8x10 holders and about the same in 4x5. Generally, at the rate I expose negatives, my goal is to develop before I need to reload a holder -- so my exposed film is stored in the film holder. If I do not have any empty holders, or holders without unexposed film in them, then I am behind in my processing and its time to get into the darkroom -- not the out-of-doors!

Vaughn
27-Oct-2011, 04:31
One advantage of my "system" is that my holders are numbered, so from my notes I know exactly how each negative was exposed and the scene's brightness range -- so I can find a particular negative and tailor the developing time/developer dilution for the negative fairly easily. I have made lists of which negative is where in a box, and have had separate boxes for different development times but always seemed to make a mistake along the line somewhere. LOL!

Richard K.
27-Oct-2011, 06:16
If you have no empty boxes, just double up; open 2 boxes, *move the contents of one into the other (which also has content but there's always room to double up) and you now have an empty 3 nest box for depositing your exposed negs. Be sure to write the new total of sheets on the doubled up box.

*in the dark :) if you are removing the film from its pouch before placing into new box

ROL
27-Oct-2011, 08:39
Danger... Danger... Will Robinson!!

"Light Proof Film Boxes" (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/pages/film#tripleboxes)

John Rodriguez
27-Oct-2011, 10:31
Replace the boxes you use to store them with newer ones often. They wear out fairly quickly.