PDA

View Full Version : Viviam Maier Book out Soon

Richard K.
26-Oct-2011, 07:46
November 17, I think. Looks like it will be good and Amazon has a low pre-sale price.

I still can't get over the serendipity that occurred with this whole enterprise. But for a bit of favorable fortune, this amazing talent might never have been known to us!

Merg Ross
26-Oct-2011, 09:09
Looks like November will be Vivian Maier month. LensWork #97 will also be featuring her photographs.

I agree, interesting story and excellent street work!

r.e.
26-Oct-2011, 17:58
The Viviam Maier web site contains several photographs made in August 1958 in what were at the time quite remote northern Manitoba communities (Cranberry Portage and Churchill). I'm curious to know how she wound up there.

I'll go to the Greenberg Gallery show in New York, but to be honest I'm not sure that there is going to be much of a market for her work. It may have some historical value, but I think that this is more about hype than quality. I also find it odd that the web site displays relatively few photographs from Chicago, where she lived for most of the time that she was taking photographs. Indeed, given the length of time that she was active, the site mostly shows work from her early years.