PDA

View Full Version : East Coast LF Group

jantman
22-Sep-2003, 16:47
I've cross-posted this on lfphoto.info and photo.net just to make sure that everyone sees it. However, I would like to have the discussion take place on the www.largeformatphotography.info board if at all possible.

A few months ago, myself and a few other people attempted to form a group of East Coast LF photographers in the NY area (or traveling there). It fizzeld out, but now that school is back in session, and I have more organization in my life, I'd like to get at least the discussion going again.

I'll try to be a little organized. I'd appreciate it if you responded to this short poll.

1. Are you interested in a LF group on the East Coast/Mid Atlantic area? (If no, stop here.)

2. Where can you meet? Is New York/New Jersey good, or need it be farther in one direction?

3. For a first meeting, which would be better - a trip into the field, or an organized indoor meeting somewhere just to meet and work stuff out?

4. Any suggestions for field trips? Keep in mind it's getting cold and not all of us like carrying heavy loads in the extreme weather.

5. Anything I left out? There's always room for ideas.

-Jason Antman

jantman
22-Sep-2003, 16:53
I might as well answer this myself.

I'm in New Jersey and don't have my license yet (next february) but can get anywhere from south jersey to new york (state or city). Possibly farther North or West.

Anything is good for me. I'd prefer a trip into the field, but something just to get organized would be fine too. My camera's quite heavy so if it were to be a long hike, I'd end up shooting MF (or using it as an excuse to get a field camera).

For trips (LF at least) state parks are cool, because they usually have roads. Yeah, Adams would be quite upset with me for that sentence and what it implies. But oh well. What's done there is done.

I don't want to keep this closed to any non-landscape people. We surely could accomodate anyone who shoots LF.

Jon_2416
22-Sep-2003, 16:54
1. Yes.
2. New York City is good for me.
3. I'm open for either, but I think the field trip would be more interesting.
4. I'm open.
5. Not that I can think of... yet.

:)

David A. Goldfarb
22-Sep-2003, 17:06
Scheduling is often a problem for me, but I'd be interested to hear of any events planned, and I'll try to make those that I can.

Louie Powell
22-Sep-2003, 17:38
1. Yes 2. Time is a factor. I can afford a few hours on a fairly regular basis, but to venture further afield requires a major time committment that is difficult to schedule. I am located in the Saratoga Springs area. 3. I go to more meetings that I care to think about. Much prefer an opportunity to make pictures. 4. Cold? Heavy equipment? Didn't think wimps did LF. Seriously, I have a bad back, so I would prefer something with less walking. Actually, architecture would be interesting. An old industrial site? 5. I'll think on it.

Louie

jantman
22-Sep-2003, 17:51
Ok. So far it sounds like a trip into the field. We have one vote for architecture, which is fine for me, as long as I shoot 645. My 8x10 isn't exactly setup for architecture. Then again, hopefully I'll soon have the money to get the lens I want. But anything's good with me.

Louie, if you can think up some sites that would be friendly to a large group of people with very big cameras, do suggest it.

tim o'brien
22-Sep-2003, 18:53
Jason, I think you otter get one of those tricycle baby strollers the women (and some dads) out here use for jogging. Take out the fabric pieces and figure a way out to mount your 8x10 and associated equipment on it. Wheels are big enough to go over any trail. You get the pleasure of making LF photographs and won't have to be embarrassed to be seen with a MF minicam.

I'ld join you but san jose is aways away. All my LF cameras fits into a backpack but not at the same time.

tim in san jose

Ralph Barker
23-Sep-2003, 00:40
Although I'm in California, making the commute a bit of a problem, there are several people on The Black & White Forum (http://www.biphoto.com/bwforum/index.html) (where I'm the webmaster) who shoot LF on occasion. I'd suggest that you post on that forum, too, with a link to your survey here, Jason. You might pick up a few interested parties.

Bill Jefferson
23-Sep-2003, 04:46
I live in Vermont

Bill

John O'Connell
23-Sep-2003, 04:48
I'd be happy to be kept informed: the odds of my schedule being free are limited (full time school/full time work) but with 100 sheets of 8x10 to use up, I'd certainly want to be involved.

Oh, and the only architectural photos I've taken that are any good are on 8x10. It's not impossible.

Mark Houtzager
23-Sep-2003, 07:58
Excellent idea.

I'm in NYC - Upper West Side. There's a LF group meeting regularly in Massachusetts, but that's a 4 hour drive and a litte far for me. To my amazement, there does not seem to be a LF group (or medium format for that matter) in NYC. I'd be happy to join. Can I suggest Central Park? There are plenty photo ops and also places to sit down and meet. I would also suggest not to limit attendance to LF'ers, but to anyone interested.

Mark

Tim Hettinger
23-Sep-2003, 09:43
I would be interested in just about any LF outing, be it architectural or landscape. I'm living in Queens right now, with no car so I don't get out of the studio much. I also tend to work far too many hours, so weekends are best for me and maybe others. Maybe something relatively close (for all if possible) to start. Keep me informed and if transport and time work out, I'd love to participate, no matter the weather or subject.

Tim

David A. Goldfarb
23-Sep-2003, 10:01
And just to keep the options open, "outings" don't necessarily have to be outdoors (as much as I like the outdoors). Other options might be renting studio space for portrait shoots and such.

jantman
23-Sep-2003, 11:33
I'm up for anything. New York is fine for me, though I prefer other areas. The problem I have with architecture and portraiture is that right now I only have one 21 1/4" barrel lens, so it doesn't work too well.

As to the studio work, sounds fine to me, what does everybody else think?

Does a first meeting in NYC sound good to everyone? Or can we find a way of getting the guys without cars to another meeting location?

And as to the allowing other formats in, do we have a concensus? I was thinking of keeping it exclusively LF. But if that isn't the opinion of everyone, we might as consider it. I just thought that with the logistics of LF, it would be easier to plan for if everyone was shooting a somewhat equally less portable camera.

If we were to open it to all photographers in all formats, would we have certain requirements or at least a decided "mission"? It might get confusing with too many different ways of thought.

In other news, I'll try to look into my older thread on photo.net, update it with this URL, and also e-mail those people who responded to that thread but not this one.

Looking forward to hearing more opinions.

-J Antman

David A. Goldfarb
23-Sep-2003, 11:46
I'd say it's probably best to keep it focused on LF to keep it from becoming just another photo club, but non-LF users who want to learn about LF should be welcome.

Cecil Pang
23-Sep-2003, 12:58
Is a 8x10 pinhole considered a LF camera?

David A. Goldfarb
23-Sep-2003, 13:10
Sounds good to me.

James Driscoll
23-Sep-2003, 13:26
I can understand why some people may like the idea of "outings" or "inings" but how about instead of having meetings and outings, a group is formed around the idea of getting our work into Venues around the East Coast.

I think most people all ready have a sense of what they like to shoot, and most people I know don't like to have 15 others around while they are trying to do their thing.

Forming a group, that has a focus on getting LF work into galleries and spaces in the intrest of promoting interest in the medium (no pun intended), sounds more appealing to me than getting together in a studio to shoot 15 portraits with the same lighting setup on 6 diffrent sheet film formats.

With enough members, you would be better off renting a gallery space for a month, than a studio in NYC for a day.

I would rather see effort put into showing work that already exsists, than effort put into an outing, that may be entertaining- but most will probably not get much out if it other than a few laughs and some very similar negs.

David A. Goldfarb
23-Sep-2003, 13:43
Great idea. I can see a place for both. A group show needs some kind of community building to work, I think, and other events might facilitate that.

Mark Houtzager
23-Sep-2003, 14:04
Excellent plan James. Such cooperative gallery clearly seems to work well in the Soho Photo Gallery (www.sohophoto.com).

Mark

jantman
23-Sep-2003, 14:11
I am in agreement with David in terms of opening it up to other formats. If anyone who shoots MF (or even SF) wants to try LF, I'm sure that some of us could donate a sheet or two.

Sure 8x10 pinhole is LF. As a matter of fact, I've never worked with one and would really like to see one and how you have it setup. I've thought of trying it, but could never justify the cost of a good precision pinhole against film and other stuff.

James, I don't know what to say. I've only been shooting LF for a few months and my idea originally with this was to be able to share ideas and technique with other LF shooters, being that there was no already established group to do this. I'm becoming quite knowledgable but I'd still like to talk with others, and so far I don't forsee having anything that I'd really like to exhibit. Exhibition doesn't seem to be of any importance to me. Plus, I have such a backlog of stuff that's NEVER been printed, at the moment I can't dream of doing exhibition prints.

That having been said, I'd definately support a group show and contribute as much monetarily to the rental as I can, even if I didn't choose to exhibit anything.

Greg Miller
23-Sep-2003, 14:18
I'm in Orange County NY (40 miles NW of NYC) and would be intested in outings and gallery shows in NYC. I primarily focus on nature / landscapes. I have planned several days of vacation from the day job in October to hopefully get some nice fall colors images. If anyone else is interested in weekday field trips in October that could be a field trip for this a group (or contact me directly if the group is not intested but individuals are; mail@GregMillerPhotography.com).

jantman
23-Sep-2003, 14:23
Ah, yes. One more thing for me. It would be very hard for me to do a weekday trip (excluding holidays) for now, as I can't really get out of school. Any possibility would have to be after next February. Or else if it was a studio day, maybe I could manage it.

Mark Houtzager
23-Sep-2003, 14:39
Greg - I'm interested in field trip - with preference for weekends. I was actually thinking of driving up to Northern MA / Vermont this weekend, but the weather forecast does help much. Let me (and the group) know what your plans are!

Mark

Jon_2416
23-Sep-2003, 19:23
Another vote for architecture. Maybe some old industrial site like Louie mentioned. Big enough so we don't all get the same shot (or more likely each other in our shots...)

I'm in Brooklyn and don't own a car, so somewhere close to a subway/train would be great.

David A. Goldfarb
23-Sep-2003, 21:35
Lots of interesting sites in Brooklyn. I've always wanted to do some photographing along the Gowanus Canal (particularly since they've done something about the smell!).

Jon_2416
24-Sep-2003, 23:00
Hi David,

I've spent a bit of time on the Gowanus lately. My neighbor works for an enviro non profit doing some work down their (long way to go!). I'm game for checking it out. An outing down there would be great. I volunteer to get permits from the Mayor's office just in case.

Oh yeah, the smell is better... but the Army Core of Engineers just did a bunch of coring in the canal... and discovered that there is a pool of liquid creosote 30' thick underneath years of sediment in one area. Be awhile before THAT body of water is clean...

jantman
25-Sep-2003, 05:31
Well it looks like somewhere in NY is thr target. Would someone like to propose some times and locations?

Mark Houtzager
25-Sep-2003, 08:21
Let's follow Jon's and David G's lead and hit Gowanus. See http://www.southbrooklyn.net/gowanus/ Is there a Starbucks nearby where we can meet? Should we get permits? If Jon can get that done easily it would probably be best. Time then depends on the processing time for the permits...

Mark

dennis Lee
1-Oct-2003, 23:23
Sounds good to me, I'm doing pinhole work on a 6x9 graflex and would love to see some larger work.

I like the idea of sharing work more than field trips, tips and tricks can be discussed at meetings and it would certainly be more comfortable for discussions inside as the weather outside begins to cool off.

I'm up in Westchester county, getting together in NYC is fine for me.

I'm wondering if local libraries might have space available?

Although the Gowanus sounds very tempting, my schedule prefers it be closer to Penn or Grand Central. Can you get to the Gowanus by train?

David A. Goldfarb
2-Oct-2003, 06:14
If we wanted to do a Gowanus trip, the best bet would be to meet either in the Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens area (F train) or on the other side in Park Slope (many trains). I used to live in Carroll Gardens and knew a number of good places to meet, but things have changed quite a lot in the last couple of years, so it would probably be best to go down and scope it out first. I would recommend Shakespeare's Sister on Court St. (a gift shop and gallery that used to have a cafe in the back), but I'm not sure if they still have the cafe. They may have turned it into more display space.

jantman
3-Oct-2003, 16:55
Well, It looks like I might not be up for a trip to Gowanas, but I'll definately support it. I'll have to hold off on the architecture for a while, I only have a 537mm. But if it's going to be in a nicer neighborhood, maybe I'll start some pinhole work.

John Downie
3-Oct-2003, 18:51
Jason,

You can take pictures of buildings with any length lens. Pick out some interesting features, look at thinge from a new perspective.

Peter Pearce
6-Jan-2004, 15:12
Put me on the list for large format users group in NYC area. I am in Long Island City and have just picked up a used 8x10. Trying to learn and need advice.

David A. Goldfarb
10-Feb-2004, 11:09
I'm hosting a gathering for members of APUG (check it out at apug.org) this coming Sunday, Feb. 15, 2004 from 3-6 p.m. to get together and have a chance to look at the APUG Traveling Portfolio, and local LF types are welcome to join us. The Traveling Portfolio is a portfolio with prints from about 20 APUG members, some of whom frequent the LF site as well (Jorge Gasteazoro, Clay Harmon, Jay de Fehr, Ole Tjungen, myself, and others), that gets shipped around the world from member to member. Each person puts in a print and takes out their old one and ships it on to the next person, and it's just finished its first complete circuit after bouncing around the world for the past year, and I have it this week.

I live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan near Columbia University. It's easily accessible by public transportation and there is available street parking near by. If you are interested, e-mail to RSVP and I'll send you directions.

David A. Goldfarb
14-Feb-2004, 05:40
Just a reminder of tomorrow's event (see previous post). The main attraction is the APUG Traveling Portfolio, but if a few people from the LF list show up, we can use that as a chance to meet up in person and talk a little more concretely about possible events in the future.

If you can make it, send me an e-mail telling me how you plan to travel, and I'll give you directions.