PDA

View Full Version : Ilex #5 Shutter Repair?

JamesGilmore
26-Oct-2011, 00:01
I've got a sluggish Ilex #5, and I've read somewhere that the repair of the same is a "50/50 proposition".

I'm a shooter, not a repairman - any clues as to how to get this shutter functioning again? I'm not sure if the LF allows posting of repair shop recommendations... :confused:

Any help greatly appreciated!

lenser
26-Oct-2011, 01:02
Repair recommendations come up on here often. Mine is always Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com. She is extremely good and very reasonable on price so there is often a waiting list, but well worth a few weeks to get the work done properly. By the way, I have this same shutter and she put it right for me a couple of years ago. Whether or not it is do-able to get perfect speeds, you will get a listing of what the marked speed are as compared to the actual speeds so that you can make reliable exposures. She is just down state from you in Whittier.

There are other excellent shops out there, but in researching prices, they are often three times or more the price that I have gotten from Carol.

JamesGilmore
26-Oct-2011, 01:29
Thanks, lenser... I'll give her a call.

cdholden
26-Oct-2011, 01:40
For Ilex gear, mine is Frank Marshman @ Camera Wiz in Harrisonburg, VA.
He's good at what he does and he bought the last of the Ilex stock. If you need springs for that old shutter, Frank will have them.

Fotoguy20d
26-Oct-2011, 03:50
My Ilex #5 (from a 14" CE) is currently in queue waiting for Carol Miller at Flutot's. What Tim said has been my experience with her on other shutters. Send her an e-mail to get in line - figure on 1-2 months before she is ready for your shutter.

Dan

Doug Howk
26-Oct-2011, 04:20
Last weekend my Ilex #4 Universal locked up. It had been serviced a year ago by SKGrimes, and worked fine. I'll try the local Southern Photo Tech Service first, then would have to send it off. Michael Smith & Paula Chamlee recommend Camera Wiz.

jp
26-Oct-2011, 05:40
Classic Camera & Repair Inc in Biddeford/Saco ME just CLA'd an Ilex5 for me a few weeks ago successfully. Took about two weeks.

eddie
26-Oct-2011, 05:50
For Ilex gear, mine is Frank Marshman @ Camera Wiz in Harrisonburg, VA.
He's good at what he does and he bought the last of the Ilex stock. If you need springs for that old shutter, Frank will have them.

+1 frank has all the repair parts for these shutters.

Miller's wait is far to long for what you get. marshman will have your shutter back to you in 1-3 weeks. average time for my stuff has been 11-14 days round trip.

eddie

Michael Jones
26-Oct-2011, 07:21
Frank Marshman @ Camera Wiz in Harrisonburg, VA.

Frank has the parts, but he is not inexpensive. But when your shutter is back, its a good as when first manufactured.

Mike.

Steve M Hostetter
27-Oct-2011, 02:08
Jack's camera, attention Woody! he'll clean it for $100.00 or there bouts

Jim Galli
27-Oct-2011, 06:33
Sluggish at the slow speeds? Or only getting 1/20th or so at the 1/50th setting?

JamesGilmore
27-Oct-2011, 08:26
My Ilex #5 (from a 14" CE) is currently in queue waiting for Carol Miller at Flutot's. What Tim said has been my experience with her on other shutters. Send her an e-mail to get in line - figure on 1-2 months before she is ready for your shutter.

Dan

Just received an email from Carol Miller - three month wait! :eek:

I'll give Marshman a holler - thanks.

JamesGilmore
27-Oct-2011, 08:27
Sluggish at the slow speeds? Or only getting 1/20th or so at the 1/50th setting?

Jim,
It hangs up on at one second, others are sluggish. Even the 'fast' shutter speeds sound like the shutter is struggling....

Tony Lakin
27-Oct-2011, 10:42
Frank at Camera Wizz did my Ilex #4 a couple of months back, excellent job, 3 weeks turnaround Isle Of Man-USA-Isle Of Man great service:) .