PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Bessler 45MX

Jeff Dexheimer
25-Oct-2011, 08:19
I have available for use a Bessler 45MX enlarger, but I don't quite know how to use it. I am slowly learning but I have a few questions.

First the current lens in the enlarger is 50mm. When I put my negative in the enlarger and try to focus I never get full coverage of the negative, so I am assuming the lens is too small for my negative size.

I checked the manual and it basically says I need a minimum of a 135mm lens. I don't have one specifically for the enlarger, but my camera lens is a 135 mm, so can I just use that? It seems to me like it should work, but I am not certain.

If my 135mm lens will work that would be excellent, but are there other lenses that I should get, or is the 135mm lans enough (assuming it works in the first place)?

Kevin Crisp
25-Oct-2011, 08:37
If you are enlarging 4X5 you need a 135mm or 150mm enlarging lens. Taking lenses (except for certain process lenses) generally don't perform well for enlargements. The market for real enlarging lenses is currently so depressed you can buy outstanding ones for under $100 if you look around.

jeroldharter
25-Oct-2011, 08:40
You don't say what size negative you are enlarging. The usual lenses are:

35 mm. 50 mm
6x6. 80 mm
6x7. 90 mm
4x5. 135-150 mm
5x7. 210 mm
8x10. 240-300 mm

You can often get away with a slightly longer focal length provided you can raise the enlarger high enough to project the image on the baseboard.

Jeff Dexheimer
25-Oct-2011, 08:45
You don't say what size negative you are enlarging

My bad, 4x5.

Doremus Scudder
25-Oct-2011, 10:25
Yes, you need a 150mm or 135mm enlarging lens.

Also, keep in mind that if you are using the condenser head, you will need to set the condenser bellows to the right height. The condenser head originally had a scale to help set it at the proper height for the chosen format. Many times these are gone. You need to adjust the condenser bellows till there is adequate coverage for the negative. If it is in the wrong position, you will get light fall-off or vignetting.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Pat Kearns
25-Oct-2011, 10:27
Also, if you are using the standard condensor head make sure you set it to the proper negative size as well. There is an upper bellows with a knob that raises & lowers it to match the negative on it's scale.

Winger
25-Oct-2011, 19:25
Also, keep in mind that if you are using the condenser head, you will need to set the condenser bellows to the right height. The condenser head originally had a scale to help set it at the proper height for the chosen format. Many times these are gone. You need to adjust the condenser bellows till there is adequate coverage for the negative. If it is in the wrong position, you will get light fall-off or vignetting.

OP - I have a 45MX and can sketch the scale for you if you need that.

Jeff Dexheimer
25-Oct-2011, 19:33
OP - I have a 45MX and can sketch the scale for you if you need that.
Yeah, the scale is busted off the side.

I tried it today, using my 135 mm 4x5 lens. It worked for now and since I no other option I figured it couldn't hurt. I will be buying a 150mm but for now, since I don't know any different, ignorance is bliss.

banjo
25-Oct-2011, 23:47
OK what you need to know is that the upper bellows for 4x5 needs to be down to about 1" or cruss the bellows flat & then for 35mm up to about 5"

joselsgil
27-Oct-2011, 12:08
dexmeister,

Where are you located? It helps to know, cause some items may be hard to find if you live in North Korea :)

I have a Beseler 45MXT instruction manual, that i can scan and e-mail you.

It contains good info on lenses and setting up the enlarger.

Do you know what kind of light head your enlarger has? Some are Dichro color heads or a cold light head. With the standard light house head, you need to adjust the condenser lens.
Jose