PDA

View Full Version : help - anyone uses canon 9950F with a mac??

tadler
25-Oct-2011, 02:08
hi.
i use a macbook pro, os 10.6.8. i just received a used canon 9950F scanner and my mac doesn't recognize it. i installed the software from the CD - didn't work. uninstalled it and installed the latest ones from canon's website - didn't work. tried a few times with different procedures and re-starts and it didn't work. didn't manage to find anything new/definite online. :(
anyone here with the same configuration that works??? :confused:
thanks!

Fourtoes
25-Oct-2011, 02:13
I use one on my imac with no bother.
I'll pop upstairs and check which version software I use....hold on a mo.

Fourtoes
25-Oct-2011, 02:16
Ok I'm using Canoscan Toolbox X for Mac OSX.
Version 4.9.3.4

Works just fine.

Imac running 10.6.8 Intel duo

tadler
25-Oct-2011, 03:51
Ok I'm using Canoscan Toolbox X for Mac OSX.
Version 4.9.3.4

Works just fine.

Imac running 10.6.8 Intel duo

thanks for checking. that's strange, i tried this version and the scanner isn't recognized. i use the same OS...
btw, is Toolbox enough for you or do you also use other scanning software?

Fourtoes
25-Oct-2011, 03:58
I scan my wetplates with it no problem. i have to calibrate nearly every other scan otherwise I get faint colour lines running through the scan.
I just use the toolbox software. If I remember rightly it took me a few attempts to get it going. So keep at it, it does work.

wmsey
25-Oct-2011, 09:34
Works well under 10.6.8. The Canon supplied software is barely capable - I prefer the Canon supplied PS plug-in which seems to be more stable.

While not officially supported in Lion it works fine using the driver software for the 4400F:

http://www.twentymillionthings.com/2011/09/17/the-canon-9500-survives-the-switch-to-os-x-lion/

wmsey
25-Oct-2011, 12:39
As I recall, and it's been awhile since I bought and set up my venerable 99500F, the 9950F worked better and far more reliably as a USB device and had some problems running as a FireWire device.

I didn't put up much of a fight and just use it as a USB device. Your mileage may vary.

Paul H
26-Oct-2011, 01:58
Does the Mac actually recognise the scanner? Check by clicking on the Apple menu, then About this Mac, & click on More Info. You should see it listed under the USB section, or under Firewire, depending on how you've got it connected up.

If it is recognised, download a copy of Vuescan and see if that works.

Fourtoes
1-Nov-2011, 07:04
Did you get this sorted eventually?

tadler
1-Nov-2011, 13:39

hi and thanks for asking, i took the scanner to the mac-technician at my work place, and in the next 2-3 days we'll take a look at it and solve the problem. if the original driver won't work, we'll try the 4400F driver as suggested by wmsey. i'll post an update as soon as i have a solution of course.

tadler
5-Nov-2011, 15:54

ok, last update: together with the mac technician at work we tried installing again the drivers for the scanner, didn't work. it did work on an imac with os 10.5, so the scanner is ok. my computer did recognize the scanner connected with usb, but the scanning software (toolbox, vuescan, silverfast, ps plugin) didn't. we also tried it with the 4400F on a mac running lion, as was recommended by wmsey here, didn't work.
guess i have to sell the scanner, unless someone has an idea where to get a driver.
thanks.

patrickjames
5-Nov-2011, 20:39
You could try running it with Vuescan. I run a 9950 under Lion with Vuescan and it works perfectly. You have to have the latest Canon drivers installed. The Vuescan trial is free though so you have nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

tadler
6-Nov-2011, 04:04
You could try running it with Vuescan. I run a 9950 under Lion with Vuescan and it works perfectly. You have to have the latest Canon drivers installed. The Vuescan trial is free though so you have nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

yes, i tried with vuescan and it didn't work. where did you get the driver from? i think the problem is that i don't have the driver. installing the latest toolbox didn't help either.

B.S.Kumar
6-Nov-2011, 05:30
See here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_9950f#DriversAndSoftware

Kumar

tadler
6-Nov-2011, 11:07
See here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_9950f#DriversAndSoftware

Kumar

Kumar, as i wrote before, i tried already the toolbox offered here (4.9.3.4). that doesn't work. the other app (deldrv) is a driver uninstall. other than those two files, they don't offer any driver.