PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon 150mm for full length portrait?

carlosmh1910
20-Oct-2011, 15:11
I'm not very experienced at shooting people with large format and I have some admittedly basic questions. First, I've heard that shooting at a shorter focal length can distort a persons figure. I only have two lenses, a symmar 180 macro and a Fujinon 150mm lens. I really don't want to plunk down the money for a new lens if I don't have to. Can I just use the 150mm or should I buy something else? I'm doing full length, so no close up or anything. If I do buy something else, any suggestions? I don't want a soft lens because I want every detail and skin imperfection (verism style). Thanks so much! Oh, and I'm using strobes so the aperture doesn't have to be very open.

Armin Seeholzer
20-Oct-2011, 15:21
Should work fine for full body, for head shoots only, you can use the 180 Macro, still on the short side but should also work!

Cheers Armin

Frank Petronio
20-Oct-2011, 15:27
A 150mm is fine for "normal" full-length or environmental portraiture.

If you do move in closer, simply keep their noses and protuberances near the center of the frame. Hands or ears near the edges tend to show distortion, hair and shadows much less so.

chassis
20-Oct-2011, 16:21
I have shot a couple of full length portraits lately with a 150mm lens and they turned out nicely.

carlosmh1910
20-Oct-2011, 17:29
They're not going to be very environmental, the models will take up much of the frame. Is that going to be problematic for distortion?

John Rodriguez
20-Oct-2011, 19:26
You may want to use the 180 then.

r.e.
20-Oct-2011, 21:21
They're not going to be very environmental, the models will take up much of the frame. Is that going to be problematic for distortion?

Given that you already have a camera and the lens, why don't you just make some photos and see what you think of them. For that matter, why not use both lenses and compare?

Personally, I think that it is beyond serious question that you can make great full body 4x5 portraits with a 150mm lens.

Alan Gales
20-Oct-2011, 22:06
I''m assuming that you are shooting 4x5. If so then a 150mm would be a great choice. Your 180mm should also work equally well. When you shoot a full length shot you only need to worry about distortion when using a wide angle lens. Wide angle lenses are commonly used for full length shots to create drama which of course includes distortion.

I would suggest using a longer lens for three quarter length shots and head shots. Something like a 240mm to 300mm to avoid distortion in the face.

Alan Gales
20-Oct-2011, 22:13
In fact a 210mm lens works great for full length and 3/2 length shots and is quite a bit cheaper than a 240mm or 300mm lens! I do prefer a 240mm to 300mm for head and shoulder shots and of course head shots.

carlosmh1910
21-Oct-2011, 07:47
Given that you already have a camera and the lens, why don't you just make some photos and see what you think of them. For that matter, why not use both lenses and compare?

Personally, I think that it is beyond serious question that you can make great full body 4x5 portraits with a 150mm lens.

r.e

Personally, I don't think it is your place to judge what is or is not a serious question; I don't have experience in large format, which is why I'm here. So yes, it is a serious question. Also, there are many people involved (and lots of resources) who are giving their time for this shoot so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks everyone else who helped instead of criticized!

r.e.
21-Oct-2011, 08:10
r.e

Personally, I don't think it is your place to judge what is or is not a serious question; I don't have experience in large format, which is why I'm here. So yes, it is a serious question. Also, there are many people involved (and lots of resources) who are giving their time for this shoot so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks everyone else who helped instead of criticized!

To suggest that something is "beyond serious question" is to use a common figure of speech. It is neither a suggestion that your question is frivolous nor a criticism.

Good luck with your portrait.

BrianShaw
21-Oct-2011, 08:22
FWIW, I didn't quite understand that expression either, and was hoping that you meant, "yes, a 150mm lens would work fine".

r.e.
21-Oct-2011, 08:25
FWIW, I didn't quite understand that expression either, and was hoping that you meant, "yes, a 150mm lens would work fine".

That is precisely what the expression means.

carlosmh1910
25-Oct-2011, 12:51
That is precisely what the expression means.

In that case, thanks for the input!

Vaughn
25-Oct-2011, 13:16
To suggest that something is "beyond serious question" is to use a common figure of speech. It is neither a suggestion that your question is frivolous nor a criticism...

I have never heard it either. I think down in the lower part of North America, we are more likely to use "Beyond a doubt."...or just "Beyond question." But I do think I have heard "Beyond a serious doubt."

But I think a 150mm will work well.

Simon Benton
25-Oct-2011, 13:43
Remembering my schooldays way way back in London, England it is a very "English" expression.

chassis
28-Oct-2011, 15:43
Just printed a couple of portraits shot with a 150mm on 4x5 and they turned out great IMHO. One was two people (grandma and granddaughter) outdoors with natural lighting. The other was my wife, indoors with tungsten. Both prints were enlarged to show a little more than head and shoulders. Great focal length for this IMHO.

I could have worked with shorter camera to subject distances, but the images held together very well at the enlargement used. Pretty good critical focus in the appropriate areas, with nice falloff/bokeh. Aperture in both cases was between f/8 and f/11.

Edward (Halifax,NS)
16-Nov-2011, 07:49
I could have worked with shorter camera to subject distances, but the images held together very well at the enlargement used. Pretty good critical focus in the appropriate areas, with nice falloff/bokeh. Aperture in both cases was between f/8 and f/11.

I am starting to experiment with portrait work. My lenses are quite sharp. Would it be best to shoot wide open to soften with limited DOF or to stop WAY down and to soften with diffraction? The lenses are the 150mm f/9 G-Claron and the 210mm f/5.6 Sinaron-S. I would love to see some examples of portraits done with 150mm lenses. I have been trolling the portrait threads.

Edward

BrianShaw
16-Nov-2011, 08:28
Edward,

I often use a softening filter on both my MF and LF lenses (except when I use my Fujinon SF, which as you might know is a dedicated soft focus lens). Especially for women and older men who are sensitive about wrinkles.

Shooting "wide open" is a good and traditional plan but still leaves the parts in focus quite sharp.

chassis
16-Nov-2011, 19:06
Interesting comment on wrinkles and portraits of women. I have been printing the portrait of my wife for two weeks, and my wife has commented on the work prints about the absence of wrinkles. I chalk it up to good lighting (lucky accident) and a bit of underexposure of the print. She is fairly light in skin tone, and combined with fortunate lighting, her skin appears very smooth in the image.

One print I exposed 1/2 stop more than others and the skin texture became more obvious. So the suggestion here is to consider the lighting (diffuse) and try a small amount of underexposure in the print to favorably render (hide) wrinkles.