PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 90 Angulon vs. Goerz 3-5/8" WA Dagor

John Schneider
20-Oct-2011, 13:18
I've used a 90 Schneider Angulon (late production, in a Copal 0) for years and it's a fine lightweight 4x5 lens. I just picked up an old school picture camera (an ex-USAAF aerial camera) to get the Goerz 3-5/8" f8 WA Golden Dagor in a Compur 00. I junked the camera and kept the lens.

The lens is in good condition but the shutter is jammed. I hated the old 00 shutters and purged them from my lens kit, so I have nothing to use to try out this lens unless I spring for a CLA. Before I do that on a lens I may decide not to keep, has anyone done a comparison of these lenses? I always found the Angulon to be a good but not stellar lens, and I love my Dagors, but I never tried a WA Dagor.

Michael E
20-Oct-2011, 15:23
John, I have several NOS Prontor II shutters in size 00. These are rather simple (no cable release socket and no flange), but if you are interested... 25$ plus shipping (letter) from Germany.

Michael

Dan Fromm
20-Oct-2011, 15:59
John, have you looked at the Perez-Thallmann (or is it Thalmann-Perez?) lens tests? http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

I ask because they did a heap of 90/6.8 Angulons, a 7.5/9 Zeiss Dagor, and a 4 3/8"/8 Goerz WA Dagor. No direct answer to your question there, but my take away is that I'd rather have a good 90/6.8 Angulon than a WA Dagor.

Cheers,

Dan

John Schneider
20-Oct-2011, 23:02
Thanks for your answers, Dan and Michael. I remember the tests now; I'll check them out. And the old Prontor shutters are fine and in my experience, nearly bulletproof (I have a #1 on my 120 Angulon).

Two23
21-Oct-2011, 15:44
I ask because they did a heap of 90/6.8 Angulons, a 7.5/9 Zeiss Dagor, and a 4 3/8"/8 Goerz WA Dagor. No direct answer to your question there, but my take away is that I'd rather have a good 90/6.8 Angulon than a WA Dagor.

But, doesn't it depend on what look you are after with a lens? My Fuji 180mm f5.6 is extremely sharp and has a lot of coverage, but I often prefer the "soft" sharpness of my c.1914 Zeiss Tessar 165mm.

Kent in SD

Dan Fromm
21-Oct-2011, 16:44
Kent, if you look at the tests you'll see that the Angulons cover 4x5 better than the WA Dagors do. I don't think this is the quite the same as the difference you see between your 180 Fuji and 165 Tessar.

That said, your 180 Fuji has a lot more coverage than your 165 Tessar.