PDA

View Full Version : One Camera One Lens - you tell me what

Bill_1856
19-Oct-2011, 19:20
Something we all think about doing: Landscapes with One Camera, One Lens, One Box of Polaroid Film.
A dream come true, or a nightmare? Two weeks roadtrip in the Southeastern US – North Florida, Georgia, Western North Carolina, and East Tennessee, including several days in the mountains. (Occasionally visiting and mooching off friends and relatives). My last 20 sheet box of 4x5 Polaroid type 52.
Okay, what to take? There is certainly going to be a dependence between the lens that I choose and the camera to use.
The 4x5 lenses available to me: 90mm, 120mm, 127mm, 135mm, 6", 162mm, 180mm, 190mm, 203mm, 8.25", 240mm, 10", 270mm, 360mm, 15". There's also a Staeble Polyplast Casket set of105/135/165/195/225mm. It's a large range of choice if there were an elephant to carry them, but since there is only going to be ONE lens then obviously some, which are patently unsuitable, can be eliminated immediately.
4x5 Cameras to choose from are: Nagaoka, TRF Crown Graphic, Technika IV, Busch Pressman, Super-D Graflex, or Super Graphic.
Tripod is a 7# Slik Pro700DX with QR pan/tilt head., or 6# Leitz Tiltall.
You tell me what you'd pick, and why. I'll give it two days and let you know what I chose (and why I eliminated some).

BrianShaw
19-Oct-2011, 19:36
I'd line them all up in a row, spin around in a circle until dizzy, then point at one of them. Whichever you are pointing at should be the one you use.

BrianShaw
19-Oct-2011, 19:37
If I didn't like the answer, I'd nullify the process and pack the Super Graphic and a 135 or 6" lens.

BrianShaw
19-Oct-2011, 19:39
But, honestly, there is so much beauty in the SE US that waht I did last time I was there was bring a TLR and a big bag of 120 film.

Two23
19-Oct-2011, 20:32
No way I'd be happy with just one lens. I'd take 90mm, 135mm, 240mm. Depends on what lenses they are, of course. As for the camera, the Nagaoka (a field camera IIRC.) Anyway, there's no way I'd head out with only one lens.

Kent in SD

Vaughn
19-Oct-2011, 20:41
Nagaoka, 6", any pod. Simple but with movements. Versatile and ready for anything.

Frank Petronio
19-Oct-2011, 20:59
If you don't have a clear preference after accumulating all that gear then something is the matter with the widget under the darkcloth and behind the ground glass ;-p

sanchi heuser
19-Oct-2011, 21:48
I'd choose a 90mm lens for the landscapes.
If you want to photograph your friends and relatives, you can portrait them
in their environment or make group portraits. No single portraits.

I'didn't photograph with any of the mentioned cameras and tripods, so I'd generally choose the one that is solid, easy to transport and fast to handle.
Same for tripod.

Andi

anglophone1
20-Oct-2011, 01:28
Busch, 127 or 120, lightest pod
I did the same thing in Scotland last week, Razzle,135, carbon pod Pola 55

Leonard Metcalf
20-Oct-2011, 03:37
Linhof Technica IV and the 135mm lens... I might be tempted with the 165mm... Me I would put on a 150mm.... folds itself up into a small box and enough movements to keep me happy... and you just can't go past a standard lens.

Me I have just spent two years with a standard lens... the best investment in my photography.. quite a challenge at first to let go of that tempting spread of lenses... but well worth it...

Why a standard... well you can make it look tele, wide angle and can do portraits... can do anything... just need two legs to zoom, and careful placement and some lovely swings and tilts and it looks wide angle... there was a good reason they were the one lens that came with slrs...

Just my 2 cents worth

Noah A
20-Oct-2011, 04:53
I don't know why you'd listen to me when you have experience with all of your own equipment, but since you asked I'd definitely take the Tech IV and 135mm lens. The lens will (probably) fold into the camera, it's tough and it (probably) has more movements your 135 can offer.

The best thing about the Technika is its rigidity and ease of setup. It's kind of hard to screw up a photo because you forgot to lock something down or because the camera moved when you inserted the (heavy polaroid) film holder.

Likewise, I'd take whichever tripod is the most solid. You only have 20 sheets, don't screw one up because you wanted to save a few kilos on a lighter tripod or lighter camera.

My one-lens kit is a Technika and a 135 Apo-Sironar-S, and it's just a wonderful setup to work with. I generally need a reason to remove the 135 from my camera, usually it's because I need more front rise than it's image circle allows. But that probably won't be an issue for you for landscape work and I can usually work around it even in urban settings.

Brian C. Miller
20-Oct-2011, 08:31
Something we all think about doing: Landscapes with One Camera, One Lens, One Box of Polaroid Film.
A dream come true, or a nightmare? Two weeks roadtrip in the Southeastern US – North Florida, Georgia, Western North Carolina, and East Tennessee, including several days in the mountains. (Occasionally visiting and mooching off friends and relatives). My last 20 sheet box of 4x5 Polaroid type 52.
Okay, what to take?

MORE FILM!!!!!

What, is this a trick question? The camera is just a paperweight when you don't have film for it. Thus, more film!! Don't obsess about equipment, obsess about images.

Bill_1856
20-Oct-2011, 14:30
MORE FILM!!!!!

What, is this a trick question? The camera is just a paperweight when you don't have film for it. Thus, more film!! Don't obsess about equipment, obsess about images.

Brian, not a trick question at all.
With the current problems of airline travel it is necessary to reduce baggage to be hauled to the absolute minimum.
This exercise is to determine if I have, or can develop, the necessary discipline to limit myself to a bare minimum of equipment. And since LF film is virtually unavailable most places except by mail order, I'm going to try and restrict myself to make every shot worth taking.
As you say, the images are the most important thing, not the equipment.

Michael E
20-Oct-2011, 15:03
My one lens kit would be any 4x5 folder with the 120mm lens. I just love that focal length and tend to shoot 95% of my LF stuff with it.

For the SW I'd just take my Hasselblad and lots of film. That's what I've done on the last six trips out there.

Michael

Brian C. Miller
20-Oct-2011, 15:55
Two weeks roadtrip in the Southeastern US...

... airline travel ...

Road trip. Thus, a trunk big enough to pack film! :)

I take it that you are going to first travel by airplane, rent a car, and then fly back. From the first post, I thought you were going to drive the whole way. Thus more film is too easy of a call.

You could still pack a couple of holders, some sheet film, and a changing bag.

As for the equipment, it's whichever camera folds up into a box with a lens. I'd use my Super Graphic with the 135mm.

jnantz
20-Oct-2011, 16:15
bring your graflex slr and your "normal" lens

Bill_1856
20-Oct-2011, 16:20
Road trip. Thus, a trunk big enough to pack film! :)

I take it that you are going to first travel by airplane, rent a car, and then fly back. From the first post, I thought you were going to drive the whole way.

Yes, I am driving the whole way. I am challenging myself: one camera, one lens, minimal film. And I've gotten too old and feeble to lug around a lot of stuff. Preparing for some trips I have in mind which will necessitate considerable flying, and expect to be shooting with a much larger camera with a single lens.

John Kasaian
20-Oct-2011, 16:54
I did a lap around the Sierra Nevadas with one camera ("dorff v8) one lens (10" WF Ektar) and twelve flm holders loaded with HP-5+. I had a delightful time. I'd bet you will too.

Bill Suderman
21-Oct-2011, 07:11
I'd reach for the Crown and the 127mm. It's solid, dependable and proven. How many decades of news and wars were photographed with this combination? The lens may be "wide" but not objectionable, lens board has slight movements and can be hand held with ease...not quite sacrilege for this group, but close. Have a great trip.

Ari
21-Oct-2011, 09:15
Linhof Technika and 120mm lens.
120mm is a good compromise and surprisingly versatile, with little distortion.

E. von Hoegh
21-Oct-2011, 14:14
Tiltall, Nagaoka, and either the 6" or 135mm lens. I think I'd lean towards the 135.

Ash
21-Oct-2011, 14:46
I don't own any of that stuff, so I don't know why I'm trying to comment

Bill_1856
21-Oct-2011, 19:14
The Prius is gassed up and packed for a two-week one-camera one-lens roadtrip that I'm having second thoughts about (as I always do on the night before).
Nearly all the posters on this thread have recommended short lenses, particularly the 135mm. I was nearly ready to take their advice when I discovered that the Compur shutter of my 135mm Xenotar was sticking and there wasn't enough time to get it to my local repairman.
My first choice would have been the 6" (150mm) Dagor, and then I discovered, much to my surprise, that I couldn't find the filter adapter. I can't work without filters!
Final choice was the 180mm Symmar, (still a "normal" focal length), and because it only fits my Technika then that's the combination I settled on.
I think that the Tiltall is probably a better tripod than the Slik, but I'm tired of having my hands sore from those ^%W#& twist locks, so the SLIK it is. Its QR is good to have, too.
Mark Sampson PM'ed, kindly offering to sell me his prized box of Polaroid 52, but there wasn't time to get it, so I'm still limited to 20 shots. I hope my 2-year outdated film is still good -- it's been in the fridge.
I'll try to report occasionally along the road as to how it's all going.
Wish me luck.

BrianShaw
22-Oct-2011, 03:30
LUCK!

Enjoy your trip!

Jim Noel
22-Oct-2011, 08:16
Technika because of stability and movements, casket set because of wide range of focal lengths available and Tiltall because it s so dependable and the Slik is likely to fail at any moment.

Brian C. Miller
22-Oct-2011, 11:08
You guys do realize that Polaroid Type 52 is a 400 speed film, and it doesn't have negatives like Type 55, right?

Or putting it differently, a road trip with Fuji FP-100C45.

Bill, whatever you decide to do, remember to have fun! :)

BrianShaw
22-Oct-2011, 11:55
Ya, but having neg isn't "all that" considering the beautiful tonality of T-52. That's the only Polaroid product I really miss.

Bill_1856
29-Oct-2011, 13:52
The two-week trip was a one-week bust, due to weather problems. Rain, rain, rain, wind, and cold weather.
The Linhof didn't even come out of the bag. Basically too cold to use Polaroid 52.
Sizing up images from the car window, I did decide two things: 1) The "normal" 150-180mm lens would have probably the best (single) choice; and 2: I won't try it again without a nice complement of at least 3 lenses. Maybe next Spring?
Thanks for your support.