PDA

View Full Version : Using the Century Universal

ThePenguin
19-Oct-2011, 07:52
Loooking for some more info on the century universal, anyone here that shoots with this camera? How does it handle heavier lenses fully extended? I tend to use the camera in position facing down towards the floor, does it lock tight?

Compered to a Deardorff for 1300$ vs the century for about 500? Is the Deardorff worth the extra money?

rjmeyer314
19-Oct-2011, 10:47
The Century is probably not as stable as the Deardorff. At various times on the web I've seen designs for stabilizer bars that can be added to the Century to make it more stable. I use a Century Universal, as well as a Culumet C1. I've used some fairly heavy lenses on the Century with no problems, but I mainly get away with it by using fast shutter speeds to freeze any vibration motion. Also, I tend to use my large view cameras only on still days. After setting up the shot I also wait for vibration to die out before tripping the shutter. Probably the heaviest lens I've used on the Century is a 480mm APO Ronar with a Packard Shutter. I didn'
t have any problems with it. To answer your other question, my Century locks tight.

E. von Hoegh
19-Oct-2011, 11:30
Loooking for some more info on the century universal, anyone here that shoots with this camera? How does it handle heavier lenses fully extended? I tend to use the camera in position facing down towards the floor, does it lock tight?

Compered to a Deardorff for 1300$ vs the century for about 500? Is the Deardorff worth the extra money?

Put it this way. I have a Deardorff, have had for the past 23 years. If I couldn't have the Deardorff, I think I could get along just fine with the Century. In fact I'd grab a Century if one came along at the right time. But I'll never get rid of the Deardorff.

TheDeardorffGuy
19-Oct-2011, 14:14
I forgot I had a Century Universal! The big issue was the inability to balance it. It had just one tripod mount and those 3 extensions hung off of them. Never got a really sharp shot using a long lens. Too much leverage. Then the rear rise. It is dead soft brass. Thats a metal term. It bends easily. Beware. I liked the front movements.

Peter York
19-Oct-2011, 14:32
My Century has 3 tripod mounts on the base.

John Kasaian
19-Oct-2011, 21:29
Perhaps my V8 'dorff is too "experienced" or perhaps I'm too chicken, but I wouldn't put a really huge heavy lens out front (by huge, I mean huge! a 14" Ektar in a No 5 Universal is no problem, but one of those huge brassies off an old studio camera would, I'm afraid over tax the old gals standards) I've heard of people mounting 165mm Super Angulons on V8s, but I wouldn't try it.

TheDeardorffGuy
21-Oct-2011, 00:11
My Century has 3 tripod mounts on the base.

Mine must have been an early one. There was just one in the "box". I've remanufactured several of these and all have 3 in the bed.

rjmeyer314
21-Oct-2011, 06:15
I have an 11x14 Seneca that only has 1 mount. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood and used a bolt to attach the camera to that. Then I attach the plywood to a tripod using a centered nut. This works much better with a heavy lens. The heaviest I've used is a 7 1/2 pound 30" Kodak Process Ektar.

TheDeardorffGuy
21-Oct-2011, 11:14
I have an 11x14 Seneca that only has 1 mount. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood and used a bolt to attach the camera to that. Then I attach the plywood to a tripod using a centered nut. This works much better with a heavy lens. The heaviest I've used is a 7 1/2 pound 30" Kodak Process Ektar.

I often wondered what a new Seneca would be like. Then a few years ago I was offered a bunch of LF stuff and there was a New In Box Seneca 8x10. I opened it and the hinge was stiff. I lowered the front rail and locked it and installed the extension rail. On the tripod they were perfectly straight and rigid.. The gearing needed lube and to be broke in. My old Seneca sagged. I did some woodworking to bring it up to the NIB one. I think that owners were too rough with them.