PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Linhof Kardan Bi-system and 2 Schneiders

Lesko Pessy
24-Jan-1999, 16:36
I just bougth the LINHOF Kardan Bi-system 5x7" second hand. I would like to know *anything* about this camera (e.g. date of production <from-to>, classification <top, middle or beginner class like the Kardan E>, compatibility to recent acce ssories, specialities, degrees of tilt/swing etc.). It is a wonderful camera, al l silver and like-new, but I really need some info from users or 'connoseurs'.

With it I also got two lenses: Schneider 'Technika' Symmar 210/5.6 #11216549 (also marked 370/12 in green) Schneider 'Technika' Super-Angulon 121/8 #11351490

If someone knows any technical data on these two (prod. date, coating yes/no, qu ality, diameter of coverage, filter/mm), it would also be very welcome.

Thanx in advance, y'all!

Bob Salomon
24-Jan-1999, 16:38
Yes I can give you the production date of your camera but need the serial number to do so.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
24-Jan-1999, 19:45
Your 210 sounds like a Convertible Symmar. Does it have a dual range of aperture markings on the stop plate?

The 121 is a good lens, not as much coverage as a recent 120, but still quite nice. I'd imagine they are both single rather than multi- coated, but Schneider has a web page and could tell you all you need.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
24-Jan-1999, 22:30
Oops wait a minute, I read that too fast and opened my mouth before thinking. The 121 Super actually has an I.C. of like 290mm, and at f/32 will actually cover 8X10. The 120 is suppossed to go around 288 mm at f/22.

I believe the story is/was that Linhoff had/has an agreement with Schneider that they (Linhoff) gets the pick of the litter for each production run. Kind of like the Winchester 1 of 100 and 1 of 1000.

There is a thread here under the lens section about the use of the Symmar. Convertible means that you can unscrew the front element from the lens/shutter assembly to achieve 1 focal length, and use the lens "conventionally" i.e. fuly assembled, to achieve another. The quality of the combined cells will be greater than the converted focal length. The usual practice is to use a deep yellow or orange filter with the longer, converted focal length and to focus carefully at the taking aperture as the focus may shift as the lens is stopped down.

The Convertible Symmar was discontinued in the early to mid-70's I believe, so by reputation you've got two of the best of the best of maybe 20 year old lenses. That would then seem to indicate that they're single coated.