PDA

View Full Version : Adobe announces new Deblurring technology

D. Bryant
18-Oct-2011, 06:25
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2011-sneak-peeks/max-2011-sneak-peek-image-deblurring/

Frank Petronio
18-Oct-2011, 07:12
I saw that. Seems to me like the Content Aware Fill, useful but not accurate, maybe good for sharpening up a photo of a field, body of water, or a forest... but not something detailed and critical.

Of course we are only a (product) generation away from focus bracketing and the related software.

D. Bryant
18-Oct-2011, 07:38
I saw that. Seems to me like the Content Aware Fill, useful but not accurate, maybe good for sharpening up a photo of a field, body of water, or a forest... but not something detailed and critical.

Of course we are only a (product) generation away from focus bracketing and the related software.

It's not a sharpening tool, rather a deblurring tool. I think it will work very well when it is released. This may not be a tool in great demand for LF work since it is intended to repair camera movement, not subject movement like tree branches blowing and so forth.

On the other hand if the camera vibrates on the tripod it might be useful.

Darin Boville
18-Oct-2011, 09:07
Hmmm. We'll see. But if it really works we can start hand holding shots at extremely low shutter speeds.

But I noticed in both examples that I saw the image was not blurred as in smeared but blurred as if the camera was bumped. Maybe that will be a factor.

--Darin

Sevo
18-Oct-2011, 09:27
Not really that new. Third party (and in more recent times, bundled) de-shake and de-motion blur plugins have been around for Premiere and AE for at least a decade. What is new is applying them to a single image - doing it on video was not that hard, given a video-like small variation between the main frame content, it is easy to identify superimposed motion blur and shake by its motion vectors in the inter-frame difference.

Bruce Watson
18-Oct-2011, 10:48
I've had a deblurring tool for many years. Use it every time I make a photograph, and it way outperforms this new software from Adobe. It has an even cooler name too. It's called a "tripod" if you can believe it. I been stylin' w' my "deblurring tool" since before Adobe existed...

D. Bryant
18-Oct-2011, 10:55
Not really that new. Third party (and in more recent times, bundled) de-shake and de-motion blur plugins have been around for Premiere and AE for at least a decade. What is new is applying them to a single image - doing it on video was not that hard, given a video-like small variation between the main frame content, it is easy to identify superimposed motion blur and shake by its motion vectors in the inter-frame difference.

I don't think anyone suggested that deconvolution enabled software was new. Simply new to Adobe and possibly Photoshop. I've tested several different deblur tools for still images and haven't been that impressed.

toyotadesigner
18-Oct-2011, 11:00
It's amazing. Every time Adobe publishes a new fart, the world is jumping into it, no matter how much it stinks.

cyrus
18-Oct-2011, 12:21
Next up: Adope announces "Why bother taking any good photos at all? Out of focus, blurred, whatever."

Darin Boville
18-Oct-2011, 12:48
btw, who is the "minor tv star" in the red shoes?

--Darin

D. Bryant
18-Oct-2011, 13:05
It's amazing. Every time Adobe publishes a new fart, the world is jumping into it, no matter how much it stinks.
Spoken like a true fart sniffer!

D. Bryant
18-Oct-2011, 13:06
Next up: Adope announces "Why bother taking any good photos at all? Out of focus, blurred, whatever."

Move along cyrus this discussion is above your pay grade.

Jim C.
18-Oct-2011, 16:13
btw, who is the "minor tv star" in the red shoes?

--Darin

Rain Wilson, used to be on The Office

Darin Boville
18-Oct-2011, 19:07
Rain Wilson, used to be on The Office

Oh, thanks. He seems to have a rather odd personality...

--Darin