PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Film and Transparencies in Los Angeles

Asher Kelman
17-Oct-2011, 21:14
Anyone know of the availability of 8x10 media in Los Angeles or San Francisco. I'd like to find somewhere I can just buy over the counter. I'm looking for Provia and also negative color film.

Thanks,

Asher

stillphotog
17-Oct-2011, 22:20
I'll be swinging by a little shop in Orange County CA tomorrow, I'll check and see if they have anything. If they have anything that size, it's probably going to be cold stored expired...

Daniel Stone
17-Oct-2011, 23:34
Samy's in LA(main store) usually has 8x10 color negative in some form in stock most of the time. Call ahead, give them a day or two, they might need to get it in from another store if they don't have it in stock.

Samy's Camera
431 S. Fairfax Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 938-2420

4x5 is no problem at any of their stores, but 8x10 is getting iffy.

I used to work for Samy's(Pasadena store) so I know their system ;).

You can also try Calumet on Highland:

Calumet Photographic
1135 North Highland Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90038
(323) 466-1238

otherwise, Badger Graphic or B+H will be your best long-term bet. Just order more than you think you'll need just to keep you "tided over" if you find yourself out of film, and they're out of stock when you need some...

-Dan

Asher Kelman
17-Oct-2011, 23:42
I'll be swinging by a little shop in Orange County CA tomorrow, I'll check and see if they have anything. If they have anything that size, it's probably going to be cold stored expired...

Thanks. Let me know if they have anything. I appreciate the info.

Asher

Asher Kelman
17-Oct-2011, 23:44
Samy's in LA(main store) usually has 8x10 color negative in some form in stock most of the time. Call ahead, give them a day or two, they might need to get it in from another store if they don't have it in stock.

Samy's Camera
431 S. Fairfax Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 938-2420

4x5 is no problem at any of their stores, but 8x10 is getting iffy.

I used to work for Samy's(Pasadena store) so I know their system ;).

You can also try Calumet on Highland:

Calumet Photographic
1135 North Highland Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90038
(323) 466-1238

otherwise, Badger Graphic or B+H will be your best long-term bet. Just order more than you think you'll need just to keep you "tided over" if you find yourself out of film, and they're out of stock when you need some...

-Dan

So far, Daniel, no luck with 8x10 Provia anywhere. I may have to work with 4x5. Good thing I have plenty of holders and an adapter.

Asher

Daniel Stone
18-Oct-2011, 08:02
they'll special order it from a local supplier(if they themselves have it), or get it ordered up for ye. All ya need is the deposit :)

just an FYI though, their film prices aren't as low as B+H,Adorama or Badger generally on SHEET FILM, so just be ready to spend an extra 10-20% over web prices, PLUS sales tax.

-Dan

Drew Wiley
18-Oct-2011, 08:15
In SF both Calumet and Adolph Gasser used to stock 8x10 film, but I haven't been to
either store for a long long time. Worth a call, however.

rjphil
19-Oct-2011, 08:38
Check with Freestyle Photo on Sunset Blvd. - http://www.freestylephoto.biz/
They have a large stock of B/W LF films, not sure about what color films they carry.

Jeffrey Sipress
19-Oct-2011, 09:03
Make sure Samy's checks the inventory of ALL their stores on the computer, as they regularly have daily runs between stores.

Asher Kelman
19-Oct-2011, 10:08
So far, no Provia 8x10 in L.A. Thanks, Jeffrey, Drew, rjphil and Daniel! I ordered 2 boxes from Badger, but up came a yellow block of color over hte order! It was a protest from the inventory control software! They just had one box of 20 sheets. So I grabbed it!

I think I'm going to get a large order from B&H and then be my own store!

Asher

Daniel Stone
19-Oct-2011, 11:57
adorama(on ebay too) has it.

$169.95 + $15 for shipping. I'm gonna order a box or two myself. They're showing "9 available" at this time

-Dan

Asher Kelman
19-Oct-2011, 13:20
Yes, Daniel, but they wont ship until monday!

This shows that we had better use the dealers or they wont stock the damn film!

Asher