PDA

View Full Version : Very Pleased With Art 300 and Adox MCC 110

Richard K.
16-Oct-2011, 20:46
In a dress rehearsal for when I can no longer haul my big one out, I went out today with the M7 II and 4 lenses, developed the Acros film and made several prints (using Ansco 130) on both Adox MCC110 fibre VC paper and Ilford MG ART 300. The results are somewhat delicious if a little different in presentation. And, they were satisfying enough that a foray into 120 on occasion and enlarging can be quite satisfying in itself and not merely a fall back position down the road, which is what I previously envisioned it as. I like the warmth, weight and modest texture of the Art 300 and the Adox is wonderfully neutral with rich warm blacks and very clean whites. I haven't tried toning yet but am sure that that will add to their diversity. A couple of fine products I think, for those of us that were bemoaning the loss of quality paper. Would love to hear others' experience of these papers!! :)

David Karp
16-Oct-2011, 21:02
The MCC110 also responds nicely to warm tone developers, and will give you a deep dark warm tone with a beautiful white paper base.

Richard K.
16-Oct-2011, 21:13
The MCC110 also responds nicely to warm tone developers, and will give you a deep dark warm tone with a beautiful white paper base.

Which WT developer would you recommend, David?

Michael Graves
17-Oct-2011, 04:55
Try the Ansco 130 with it. Photographers Formulary sells kits that makes it easy to mix and it lasts forever in sealed jars.

Sal Santamaura
17-Oct-2011, 06:36
Which WT developer would you recommend...We've already been down this path

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/9421-Compard-Print-WA-Same-Formula-As-Agfa-Neutol-WA-1.25-Liter

but Freestyle couldn't get it to you in Canada. Did you ever contact Mirko to ask about distribution there? If so, what did he say?

Richard K.
17-Oct-2011, 07:03
I actually have a friend who comes to Toronto often and will bring some over for me. I was wondering about other WT developers (other than Agfa Neutol WT). I seem to like the Ansco 130 just fine though. Have you tried either paper Sal? Thoughts?

Richard K.
17-Oct-2011, 07:04
Try the Ansco 130 with it. Photographers Formulary sells kits that makes it easy to mix and it lasts forever in sealed jars.

Exactly what I've been using. Like it very much. :)

Sal Santamaura
17-Oct-2011, 07:30
...Have you tried either paper Sal? Thoughts?Not the Art 300, but MCC 110 is my primary paper now for both enlarging and contact printing. The Azo stash I bought when it was discontinued has become a hedge against future disruptions in the supply of silver black and white materials. :)

I've used MCC 110 with Print WA, but prefer and finally settled on the neutral version

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/9428-Rollei-Compard-Print-Neutol-NE-1.25-Liter

for developing it. Then I give it 4 minutes in HARMAN selenium toner 1:10. Resulting prints are exactly the way I like them, i.e. fairly neutral with a slight hint of selenium "warm/magenta" color.

Richard K.
17-Oct-2011, 07:38
Thanks for the information, Sal. :) BTW that new ART 300 ain't bad either!

Michael Graves
17-Oct-2011, 08:03
What's with the "textured matte" surface? Is it really flat or is there some life to it?

Richard K.
17-Oct-2011, 08:51
What's with the "textured matte" surface? Is it really flat or is there some life to it?

It's got way better D-Max than one would expect and has a nice lustre and tonality. I think that for a lot of things (especially portraits) this could be a great paper. Could others that have tried it chime in?

cowanw
17-Oct-2011, 09:01
I am absolutely over the moon with it.
It is a grade contrastier, filter for filter, than MCC110, but you figure that out fast.
It feels great and has a real serious texture to it that will make me feel I am blessed with the papers ot the mid 20th Century.
It will be my go to portrait paper.
It is a HUGE step up for Ilford and I hope it pays off for them.

ROL
17-Oct-2011, 09:13
In a dress rehearsal for when I can no longer haul my big one out, I went out today with the M7 II and 4 lenses, developed the Acros film and made several prints (using Ansco 130) on both Adox MCC110 fibre VC paper and Ilford MG ART 300. The results are somewhat delicious if a little different in presentation. And, they were satisfying enough that a foray into 120 on occasion and enlarging can be quite satisfying in itself and not merely a fall back position down the road, which is what I previously envisioned it as. I like the warmth, weight and modest texture of the Art 300 and the Adox is wonderfully neutral with rich warm blacks and very clean whites. I haven't tried toning yet but am sure that that will add to their diversity. A couple of fine products I think, for those of us that were bemoaning the loss of quality paper. Would love to hear others' experience of these papers!! :)

I fully appreciate and identify with your analysis and feeling about medium format. I enjoy taking and printing 120 at least as much and more than LF. It is perhaps my favorite format. But I have to ask the question. Is this thread LF? Are we free to discuss all formats in this forum, no matter how obtuse the relation to LF? There seems to be a trend of posting non LF images when they fit a thread. I'm not passing judgement here, just asking about leeway.

Michael Graves
17-Oct-2011, 09:39
It's got way better D-Max than one would expect and has a nice lustre and tonality. I think that for a lot of things (especially portraits) this could be a great paper. Could others that have tried it chime in?

Thanks, Richard. Guess I'll have to break down and buy a package to try.

David Karp
17-Oct-2011, 13:56
Which WT developer would you recommend, David?

I liked Zonal Pro HQ Warmtone. Of course, it is now discontinued. Freestyle has come up with an Arista-branded product that they claim is equivalent. I have to run now, but it should be available on their website.

David Karp
17-Oct-2011, 13:57
For most printing, I develop MCC110 in Agfa 100 which I mix per the Darkroom Cookbook.

Richard K.
17-Oct-2011, 14:28
...... Is this thread LF? Are we free to discuss all formats in this forum, no matter how obtuse the relation to LF? There seems to be a trend of posting non LF images when they fit a thread. I'm not passing judgement here, just asking about leeway.

Well....:) it's under the Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing sub-heading and I really was trying to convey how much I liked the PAPERS and (although unsaid) how nice they might be for contact LF prints,etc. I unfortunately couched the story in the context of my potential physical regression and how even that is not a problem because the papers satisfy...
I guess what I should have said (and not just implied) is that if they are that satisfying for MF, imagine how nice they'll be for LF?!? :D

David Karp
17-Oct-2011, 21:30
I liked Zonal Pro HQ Warmtone. Of course, it is now discontinued. Freestyle has come up with an Arista-branded product that they claim is equivalent. I have to run now, but it should be available on their website.

Sorry I could not do it before, I had to run to class.

Here is the link to the new Arista Premium version of the HQ Warmtone: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/35164-Arista-Premium-Warmtone-HQ-Paper-Developer-1-quart?sc=22007

Roger Cole
17-Oct-2011, 22:08
I haven't tried the Ilford Art 300 yet.

I have tried the MCC 110, and absolutely love it. In LPD at 1+2 it isn't warm, rather cool to neutral which is what I wanted at the time. I've been using Ilford MGWT in Ilford WT developer and a very light brown toning with Freestyle's "Legacy Pro" copy of Kodak Brown Toner when I want warm tones. I like that combination very much, actually. I dilute the toner to 1/4 the strength the bottle says and then tone briefly as it will continue toning a while in the rinse. 30 seconds and into the water, rinse a bit and check, repeat until it's where I want it. I got that from a post by Drew over on APUG.

But if I could get a nice warm as well as neutral to cool out of MCC 110 I might just settle on it. It's also cheaper than MGWT. Sounds like I need to try the Art 300 though.

Pawlowski6132
18-Oct-2011, 04:24
I fully appreciate and identify with your analysis and feeling about medium format. I enjoy taking and printing 120 at least as much and more than LF. It is perhaps my favorite format. But I have to ask the question. Is this thread LF? Are we free to discuss all formats in this forum, no matter how obtuse the relation to LF? There seems to be a trend of posting non LF images when they fit a thread. I'm not passing judgement here, just asking about leeway.

This question is obtuse. Are you serious? You are kidding right?

Richard K.
18-Oct-2011, 16:14
I am absolutely over the moon with it.
It is a grade contrastier, filter for filter, than MCC110, but you figure that out fast.
It feels great and has a real serious texture to it that will make me feel I am blessed with the papers ot the mid 20th Century.
It will be my go to portrait paper.
It is a HUGE step up for Ilford and I hope it pays off for them.

Glad to hear you like it, Bill! I feel somewhat the same way about it. Do you tone after? To what effect? What toner/time/dilution?

What developer do you use? I used the Ansco 130 (Glycin) and really like the results including the slight olive colour and didn't see the need to tone (other than perhaps archival). Surprisingly good D-Max, no?

Other users' thoughts thoroughly welcome! :)

cowanw
18-Oct-2011, 16:50
I am not as sophisticated as many here. I just use the most convenient and biggest container of whatever Burlington camera or Camtech has on offer in the store.
But I did get a lifetime supply of Viridon for pretend sepia toning. I also use Ilford Selenium. Not complicated, But then my tastes are simple.
I did some baby portraits in Viridon, high key with elliptical vignetting and I was very pleased with the classical (read olde time) results, a sort of brownish slight purple
But for adult portraits, you can't go wrong with selenium a sort of purplish slight brown.