PDA

View Full Version : Dallmeyer 3a

Tarheel
16-Oct-2011, 11:19
I've recently come into the possession of a Dallmeyer 3A. I know I can sell it on ebay but can someone give me an idea of the condition / value based on these pictures? I've had interest in it but I don't know what its value is.

vitality
16-Oct-2011, 12:02
Overall good condition for an old lens. Petzval design, focal length 16 inch (approx 400mm) with soft focus adjustment.
Slight separation of front element (approx 5mm?), which most likely will not affect picture quality. Sun shade is out of shape, but looks like it will not disturb. Flange present, 1 waterhouse stop. Need to unscrew rear group of lenses, to see if all glass elements are in place.
Approx price would be 1100-1300 USD. Selling price will depend on what type of listing you will offer (eg. accept returns and etc) + luck (may be 2 persons urgently need 3A and both have spare 2-3K to spend on it). Before selling may be would be good idea to clean lenses from dust.

P.s. Im not an expert, just my 2 cents.

Steven Tribe
16-Oct-2011, 13:42
The A series is the 3rd fastest series of Dallmeyer Petzvals. The sequence is C - B - A - D.
The slower speed and the back focus of about 12" means that the coverage was given as full plate size - that coverage was related to what portrait photographers wanted as sharp in the 19th century. I don't know how common the various models are but would guess B, closely followed by D, with A a definite third with C quite a way after A (if anyone knows for sure I would like to hear from him/her)!
Your 3A has the first design softness control right at the back.
I would advise against attempting a drastic clean. Just check there are two lens in the rear, try to move all threads (especialy the ring with hacks around the edge) and report on chips/marks. The front lens is an achromat where there is probably some decomposition between the laminated lenses or/and edge discolouration.
If you post the serial number someone might have more production data about it!

CCHarrison
16-Oct-2011, 17:13
Try checking my Soft Focus Lens sales data for sales of Dallmeyer 3A lenses

Http://www.antiquecameras.net/softfocuslenssales.html

Dan

Tarheel
18-Oct-2011, 18:31
Thank you all for the help and information.

The serial number is 23835.

I could move all the parts that looked like they should move. I could move the rear piece with notches but I couldn't figure out how to take it off to check for both lenses. Looking through as I turned it though I could see another piece of glass inside that was not rotating.

I'm not keen on cleaning it because I don't want to damage it.

Thanks for the link CC. You've obviously put a lot of effort in compiling that information.

Thanks,
'heel

Steven Tribe
19-Oct-2011, 00:56
"as I turned it though I could see another piece of glass inside that was not rotating."

This is exactly as it should be - the increased distance between the two rear lenses increases the softness effect.
The lens is from around 1875.
There is a detailed sale ledger available so more information may appear here!

seananton
19-Oct-2011, 11:43
Sold to Anthony May 10th.,1875

Seán

dendavevdk
5-Apr-2013, 15:38
Sold to Anthony May 10th.,1875

Seán

Hello i've got this Dallmeyer lens with serial 5096. Can you give me more information with the available detailed sale ledger.

Thanks

lenser
5-Apr-2013, 16:26
And I have a gorgeous one #66585. Can anyone help me with the year on it?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

goamules
5-Apr-2013, 17:26
You cannot get the detailed ledger information any more, the owner has passed. You can look up Dallmeyer dates based on serial numbers on Dan's site, above, under "Petzval Lenses", at the bottom.

lenser
5-Apr-2013, 17:53
Okay,

I give up. I tried to find Petzvals and Dallmeyeers on that site in terms of dates. Didn't seem to go there. I got lots \of into about prices and such, but not the serial number to manufacturing date data.

Please help.

Louis Pacilla
5-Apr-2013, 20:31
Okay,

I give up. I tried to find Petzvals and Dallmeyeers on that site in terms of dates. Didn't seem to go there. I got lots \of into about prices and such, but not the serial number to manufacturing date data.

Please help.

Hey Tim

Go to the"Petzval Lens" page on Dans site and scroll all the way down near the bottom until you come to the "Antique lens serial #/Date column.Way at the bottom. Dallmeyer only goes to 62000 and as I recall, Seans records stopped at 62000 or so.

BTW- Serial 62000 is 1900 so your lens was manufactured a few years later. so 1903-04

dendavevdk
6-Apr-2013, 07:02
You cannot get the detailed ledger information any more, the owner has passed. You can look up Dallmeyer dates based on serial numbers on Dan's site, above, under "Petzval Lenses", at the bottom.

Thanks for the information! My lens is from ca 1862. Sorry to hear the person who had more information, has passed. Didn't anyone got his book or something?

Dave