PDA

View Full Version : Things You Never Thought You'd Learn from Large Format Photography

unixrevolution
13-Oct-2011, 06:10
I find it pleasant the kind of things a new hobby, or in my case, a new aspect of a hobby, can teach you. For instance, I had never needed a changing bag as a 35mm, digital, or Medium Format photographer.

It is therefore because of Large Format that I learned I could operate an iPhone with nothing but my nose.

What unexpected lessons has Large Format taught you?

E. von Hoegh
13-Oct-2011, 06:56
"Looking" and "Seeing" are two different processes.

Vaughn
13-Oct-2011, 06:58
That cameras can actually be too big.

Preston
13-Oct-2011, 07:35
Snow makes your bellows sag.

--P

jnantz
13-Oct-2011, 07:58
you can still print film too dense to see through

Ken Lee
13-Oct-2011, 08:30
Ansel Adams > Zone System > Minor White > Meditation > Eastern Philosophy > Mysticism

drew.saunders
13-Oct-2011, 08:58
That I finally own a "Hasselblad," just that it's made out of wood and metal and leather, or at least many people seem to think I do.

That you can scan film that is so thin that there doesn't appear to be an image on it.

That, yes, they still make film for that thing and, no it isn't a video camera.

jp
13-Oct-2011, 09:06
I still don't have a changing bag (the upside of a darkroom)...

Prior to LF, I never thought about alt process stuff at all. It seemed like a means to an end using the technology of the era. Now it's a fascinating choice.

I've long had an academic interest in photo history and art history, but the actual historical tools with large format are a hands on extension of that I wasn't expecting.

While LF does a really nice job at crisp sharp photos, it does an even better job with soft photos (compared to the small stuff), something I never attempted with smaller and digital formats.

I never used a handheld light meter prior to LF. My 35 and digital cameras had that built in.

I'd never developed film in a tray prior to LF (just with patterson or stainless reel tanks)

Never had a motorized enlarger. The small enlargers are generally simpler.

Never had to concern myself with dust on negatives with roll film. (dust on sensor is a common digital concern though)

I've stopped wondering if a resulting photo is going to be grainy.

I've met lots of people who either had a speed graphic or had a family member that used one.

Robert Hughes
13-Oct-2011, 11:28
That you can make a perfectly good camera out of card stock and 1x1 lumber.

Kerik Kouklis
13-Oct-2011, 13:31
That cameras can actually be too big.

Hmmm... haven't learned that one yet.

Vaughn
13-Oct-2011, 13:43
Hmmm... haven't learned that one yet.

And some may never learn it -- much to their joy! :)

PS -- and to comment on Tom's post below: I did not need LF to teach me that -- I have three kids who are willing to provide that lesson on a regular basis! LOL!

Tom J McDonald
13-Oct-2011, 13:49
I've learnt I'm still an idiot.

Jerry Bodine
13-Oct-2011, 15:52
Upside down and backwards is an illusion ... I think.

The Dread Pirate Robins
13-Oct-2011, 16:01

I think the right-side-up and forwards world is the illusion. All this time I thought mountains were triangles with pointy ends up, but now I know the real truth.

I never thought prior to getting into LF photography that I would ever consider a large wood, leather, and metal case such as my RB Series D to be a "light" or "traveling" camera for taking photos of moveable subjects (other than, of course, carrier landings).

Vaughn
13-Oct-2011, 16:31

I remember after a particularily long session under the darkcloth, that when I poked my head out from under it, it took awhile to get use to reality being upside down! That was an interesting lesson in perception! :)

Alan Gales
13-Oct-2011, 16:36
"Looking" and "Seeing" are two different processes.

Boy, do you have that right!

I have learned that it can get awful hot under a dark cloth in St. Louis's summer humidity.

Vaughn
13-Oct-2011, 16:43
And that an ice-scrapper for the GG can be handy in Spokane in the wintertime!

John Jarosz
13-Oct-2011, 16:50
That with a really large camera people will stop saying stupid s**t to you when you're under the darkcloth. Actually, they pretend I'm invisible.

Jehu
13-Oct-2011, 17:58
I've learned that most digital shooters envy us in a way.

I've figured out that they need the digital workflow for their work but long for their roots in the simplicity of a light-tight chamber that introduces a lens to a sheet of film.

Chris Wong
13-Oct-2011, 18:19
I learned that where I have set up my tripod with the 4 x 5 is the best spot to shoot a particular shot because why else would all the point and shoot people shoot right over my shoulder all the time. :)

Heroique
13-Oct-2011, 18:29
When it’s cold – really, really cold – a snorkel keeps your breath from fogging the ground glass.

atlcruiser
13-Oct-2011, 19:12
When it’s cold – really, really cold – a snorkel keeps your breath from fogging the ground glass.

I would pay good money to see that in action!

What i am still trying to learn and apply is that I dont want to take pictures of things as they are but of how things look

unixrevolution
14-Oct-2011, 05:51
This thread delivers. Keep them coming!

I learned that my 4x5 can generate extremely high quality, large resolution images that I'd need tens of thousands in digital equipment to match.

I learned that a 5-pound Super Graphic is "Light and compact".

I learned to start studying my station wagon to see if I could stand on its roof.

Brian Ellis
14-Oct-2011, 05:55
This thread delivers. Keep them coming!

I learned that my 4x5 can, with proper scanning, completely outperform the best digital camera.

I learned that a 5-pound Super Graphic is "Light and compact".

I learned to start studying my station wagon to see if I could stand on its roof.

Which "best digital camera" do you own?

unixrevolution
14-Oct-2011, 06:58
Which "best digital camera" do you own?

Original post edited to avoid turning a fun, light-hearted thread into some pixel-peeping twenty page argument.

E. von Hoegh
14-Oct-2011, 07:26
I learned that my Nikon F with the Ftn finder is a point & shoot.

MIke Sherck
14-Oct-2011, 07:45
Since moving to large format, my wife has become convinced that I'm nuts. I guess she learned that a little late (after 30-odd years of marriage.) I reminded her that there wasn't anything about sanity in our wedding vows. She accused me of 'bait and switch.' I told her just for that, I'm looking for a bigger (than 8x10) camera. She brought a 5x7 Conley home from an auction and asked whether I was interested in 'minature' formats.

:)

Mike

Brian Ellis
14-Oct-2011, 08:37
Original post edited to avoid turning a fun, light-hearted thread into some pixel-peeping twenty page argument.

Argument? Who's arguing? I just asked a question. Why not just answer the question instead of assuming I want to start an argument, which I most certainly don't.

unixrevolution
14-Oct-2011, 08:55
Argument? Who's arguing? I just asked a question. Why not just answer the question instead of assuming I want to start an argument, which I most certainly don't.

Answered in private message.

Kimberly Anderson
14-Oct-2011, 09:24
I've learned math and chemistry. Both things I hated in high school.

The Dread Pirate Robins
14-Oct-2011, 09:25
I learned that my Nikon F with the Ftn finder is a point & shoot.

Haha! I had the same thing happen. My wife asked me to PLEASE just bring a point-and-shoot to an event and I brought my Pentax Spotmatic.

Jim Cole
14-Oct-2011, 10:39
Patience

Jehu
14-Oct-2011, 11:10
I learned that I'm an artist and not just a left-brainer. The technical aspects essential to LF but not to other forms of photography is fascinating to me. It gave me a bridge to my own creativity.

LaurentB
14-Oct-2011, 11:31
LF is not for every subject (at least for me). My landscapes suck, while I'm very happy with portraits (I almost never shoot portraits, because they suck, but in LF that's another thing. I shoot lots of landscapes, but can't be satisfied of LF ones).

A 35 mm camera can be heavier than a 4x5 (One is an EOS3 with booster, the other one a Tachihara).

AF-ULF
14-Oct-2011, 11:43
I have learned that terms like small, medium and large format are relative as are references to big and long lenses and negatives. Once I got used to shooting 16x20 and bigger, 8x10 seems small. 4x5 is practically miniature. When someone posts a big lens for sale, I'm thinking at least a 1000 mm, they list a 300 mm.

John Kasaian
14-Oct-2011, 14:25
I learned that whatever is worth doing, is worth doing poorly.

Really.

Getting out and wasteing film is the best motivation to learn which aspects merit care, and which aspects are anal-retentive obessive/compulsive musings.

John Kasaian
14-Oct-2011, 14:26
I learned that a stack of 8x10 film holders and a tripod that will hold an 8x10 camera are way heavier than any 8x10 wood field camera.

jayabbas
15-Oct-2011, 16:02
I have learned about chemistry, math, physics, humanities, plumbing, electronics, sensitometry, aliquoting, lighting, weightlifting, photo books, poverty, riches, haggling, internet forums, color printing,disappointment, b&w printing, optics, problem solving to the Nth degree, metalworking, woodworking, appreciating great photography, how film behaves, workshops, deadlines, how deadbeats don't pay, corporate culture, photo history, Kodak lenses are great, creative highs, doldrum lows, darkroom gremlins, how to zap dust, load film holders, curse film holders, darkroom magic, spend lots of money on needed equipment, advertising department realities, using equipment till it dies, fixing gear till it dies again, needed bigger house to store all the stuff of photography, never buy new( see haggling ),F-stop printing, seeing light, being aware of where the sun is during the day, toiling in relative obscurity, and finally I have learned that I cannot get away from the crazy ecstasy or the agony of this craft we practice( making money at it is another subject up for discussion) !

David Lobato
15-Oct-2011, 17:01
I learned that the best way to do something is usually not the easy way. And any day out with a LF camera is better than a day at the office.

Jehu
15-Oct-2011, 17:20
I've learned that shooting a view camera is a good way to meet people that you don't really want to meet.

"Wow! That's an old camera!"
"Yes. It has a manufacture date of March, 2011"

"How many megapixels is that?"
"One, but it's a very big one."

"Does that shoot video too"
"Yes but you can only watch real time and upside down."

Greg Blank
15-Oct-2011, 17:46
When vultures or any other birds are circling over head its best not to spend too much time under the dark cloth :D

cdholden
15-Oct-2011, 19:41
If it's still supported by the manufacturer, it probably doesn't belong in my bag.

The Dread Pirate Robins
15-Oct-2011, 19:49
If it's still supported by the manufacturer, it probably doesn't belong in my bag.

Your equipments' manufacturers are still in existence?

Keith Fleming
15-Oct-2011, 20:23
When shooting around the house and the cat demands some canned cat food, it is best to wash my hands thoroughly BEFORE getting back under the dark cloth with the loupe.

Keith

Steve Gledhill
16-Oct-2011, 00:19
Whenever there's a dog on the loose, beware. Occasionally one sees my open camera bag lying on the ground as an invitation to mark it as its territory, and one is too many!

Michael E
16-Oct-2011, 04:44
Since I have old cameras with old lenses, old cars, old furniture in an old house, my mother is convinced I'm going to marry a real old woman one day.

Michael

Curt
16-Oct-2011, 08:54
Humility!

Fiscal restraint!

David R Munson
17-Oct-2011, 06:20
The easiest way to satisfy a suspicious skeptic is to let him look under the dark cloth. This holds true well beyond the limits of photography.

gevalia
17-Oct-2011, 06:28
All of the above!

unixrevolution
17-Oct-2011, 06:41
The easiest way to satisfy a suspicious skeptic is to let him look under the dark cloth. This holds true well beyond the limits of photography.

My father pointedly doesn't get the whole "Large Format" thing. I was shooting flowers in my mother's garden with my 'Rail, and he came out and asked what I was up to. I let him step under the dark cloth and see for himself.

I think at that moment, he understood, at least a little better.

Robert Hughes
17-Oct-2011, 07:06
Since I have old cameras with old lenses, old cars, old furniture in an old house, my mother is convinced I'm going to marry a real old woman one day.

Michael
If you're lucky, you'll still be married when she's really old.

Halford
17-Oct-2011, 23:44
Well on the home and family side, I've learned how wonderfully encouraging and supportive my partner is of my idiosyncratic and expensive hobbies :-)

Roger Cole
18-Oct-2011, 01:31

Michael

I made up for my old cameras, old darkroom gear, vinyl record collection and old radios by getting a considerably younger fiance - who loves my old cameras. I'm a lucky man.

rdenney
18-Oct-2011, 06:27
Things that seem immutable, or that claim permanence, do indeed change, but sometimes too slowly or in too long a cycle to be noticeable. I've learned from large-format photography that time is of the essence. The lesson, once learned, carries to small-format photography, where time is usually ignored.

http://www.rickdenney.com/images/espada_aqueduct111191-04_lores.jpg
Espada Aqueduct, 1991

http://www.rickdenney.com/images/espada-aqueduct-lores.jpg
Espada Aqueduct, 2004

Rick "who has no idea what this means" Denney

chris_4622
18-Oct-2011, 07:46
How much I enjoy the posts by Rick "fill in the blank" Denney.

Vaughn
18-Oct-2011, 08:14
When vultures or any other birds are circling over head its best not to spend too much time under the dark cloth :D

Good one! I have had this happen to me in Costa Rica.

Michael E
18-Oct-2011, 11:36
Things that seem immutable, or that claim permanence, do indeed change, but sometimes too slowly or in too long a cycle to be noticeable.

http://thirdview.org

Renato Tonelli
18-Oct-2011, 12:00
How much I enjoy the posts by Rick "fill in the blank" Denney.

:D
One of the reasons I read this forum. Always look to see how inventive the 'fill in the blank' is.

Scott Walker
19-Oct-2011, 12:37
I have learned that I really enjoy hanging out in a small room in total darkness :D

Ash
19-Oct-2011, 13:32
"Budget" is a relative term with little meaning.

Some (pretty) girls love the cameras as much as (ugly) guys.

5x4 was never big enough.

"One camera, One lens" is all well and good until you buy another camera and that means you need to buy another lens.

David Higgs
20-Oct-2011, 09:21
lots

- sharpness is over rated
- I never get over the beauty of pretty much anything on the groundglass
- seeing
- that 6 shots in a day, is a busy day
- medium format is actually pretty good
- 35mm is perfect for some applications
- digital is damn nearly there, 99% of the way, its the 1% that I really like
- not everything works in LF
- my wife has degrees of tolerance that I hadn't realised
- i too can operate an iphone with my nose

jp
20-Oct-2011, 14:19
Some (pretty) girls love the cameras as much as (ugly) guys.

Works for Rolleiflexes too.

"One camera, One lens" is all well and good until you buy another camera and that means you need to buy another lens.

I thought that was about how much you can manage to carry around at once, not what you actually own!

Richard M. Coda
20-Oct-2011, 14:43
"I can get just as good resolution from my (fill in the blank) DSLR as I can from my 8x10..." I can't tell you how many times I have heard this from (I'll be respectful here) "seniors" who have given up on LF due to it's size and weight. They sometimes bring in their work and try and pass it off as LF but I nail them every time...

ashlee52
28-Oct-2011, 08:37
I have found that strangers will always give you a better pose if you are using a view camera. Presumably because you are recording them for all of history instead of taking a snap shot. And because the process is inherently collaborative... they must help you to get the picture.

Tony Evans
1-Nov-2011, 14:25
"Tighten everything down" means "TIGHTEN EVERYTHING DOWN!"

Steve_Renwick
3-Nov-2011, 13:41
Getting away from the computer is underrated.

Many people had a grandpa or uncle who owned a Speed Graphic.

"Hasselblad" is a generic word for "big complicated-looking camera."

unixrevolution
1-Dec-2011, 07:46
Thank you all for making this my favorite thread of every thread I've ever started anywhere on the internet.

I've learned that a large format camera, 4 lenses and 10 film holders can fit in an SLR shoulder bag. Just.

jayabbas
1-Dec-2011, 08:02
Now that is packing! Any room for trail mix in that thar bag?

Mark Stahlke
1-Dec-2011, 10:29
This reminds me of the old mechanic's admonition "Remove all the screws then remove the last screw again". :D

E. von Hoegh
1-Dec-2011, 12:04
This reminds me of the old mechanic's admonition "Remove all the screws then remove the last screw again". :D

On the inside of the lid of my toolbox it says: "Are all the bolts tightened?";)

cyrus
1-Dec-2011, 13:16
That I would end up quickly and willingly parting with amounts of $$$ that I would never have thought I could ever part with so quickly and willingly!

unixrevolution
2-Dec-2011, 00:15

I've learned that even when tightened to the point of stupid, my Manfrotto head still wants to move. I think I need a good geared tripod head.

Now that is packing! Any room for trail mix in that thar bag?

Possibly some trail mix...I forgot, it also has a polaroid back, 2 light meters, a loupe and a brush in it. It's a Super Graphic. The case is an Ape Case designed for DSLRs.

You know, I took the intake manifold off my Ford Mustang on Sunday and this actually happened. Thought I had them all but one bolt was holding it in place.