PDA

View Full Version : Linotype-Hell Topaz & Linocolor error help!

abc123kazu
10-Oct-2011, 22:19
Hi I'm a camera assistant and I am using a Linotype-Hell Topaz I unit with Linocolor on OS9 on a G4. While i was scanning, i got an error saying the Bed is OPEN, please close.
But the bed is closed.
I tried rebooting the software, computer, and scanner. But the scanner is still blinking as "error"
I tried to reset the scanner through LinoColor but it aborts telling me to close the scanner.
I think there was some kind of error caused to the scanner from a signal from the software.
Is there any way i can fix this and get the scanner/software working again?
Some way to force reset the scanner maybe?
Or someway to fix the "error"?

Thank you

SURF
11-Oct-2011, 00:56
Or someway to fix the "error"?
It can be that bed microswitch is broken or needs alignment or there is a loose connection.

Good luck
Al

PS. It do not looks like a serious fault.

abc123kazu
11-Oct-2011, 12:23
Thanks for the Tip SURF, but can you give me more specific instructions to how i can check this? or if not where i can find out how?

THanks again.

Allen in Montreal
11-Oct-2011, 14:16
I had a Topaz and sold it to save space, bought a desktop.
Stupid! Great scanner for the money. The desktop, while 3 percent of the size of the Topaz, sucks by comparison.

Karl Hudson is very knowledgeable and very helpful.

Karl Hudson <karl@hudsongrafik.com>

I never had your error, but I did learn to respect the room temperature when scanning! It does not like a cold room.

When you lift the front or rear hood, there is a clicking sound from the sensor normally, do you hear that click? Can you trace the sound to the sensor and see if it is clean and functional. I don't recall where it is located.

if you do not have the manual for this scanner, email me and I will send you the manual in pdf format.

Do not be in a rush to junk the scanner, try to resolve it, it is a much better than scanner than it's reputation gets on the internet! :(

abc123kazu
11-Oct-2011, 15:34
Thank you so much for the reply Allen.
But no i don't hear clicking. All i hear is electrical humm.
I'll message you with my email address, please send me the pdf.
Thank you so so much. I will also try to contact Karl.
Thank you

abc123kazu
14-Oct-2011, 08:40
Everybody thank you so much. This forum is such a great community.
I was able to fix the scanner. Thank you again.

PIC
20-Jan-2014, 07:50
I had a Topaz and sold it to save space, bought a desktop.
Stupid! Great scanner for the money. The desktop, while 3 percent of the size of the Topaz, sucks by comparison.

Karl Hudson is very knowledgeable and very helpful.

Karl Hudson <karl@hudsongrafik.com>

I never had your error, but I did learn to respect the room temperature when scanning! It does not like a cold room.

When you lift the front or rear hood, there is a clicking sound from the sensor normally, do you hear that click? Can you trace the sound to the sensor and see if it is clean and functional. I don't recall where it is located.

if you do not have the manual for this scanner, email me and I will send you the manual in pdf format.

Do not be in a rush to junk the scanner, try to resolve it, it is a much better than scanner than it's reputation gets on the internet! :(

Hi, After many years of scanning with my DS 688 scanner which became too costly to repair, I have purchased a Topaz 2 but it did not come with a manual. Do you still have the pdf manual for the Topaz 2? Would you mind sending me a copy?

Karl Hudson
3-Feb-2014, 08:15
Here's a dropbox link to download the pdf of the Topaz 2 / 2+ Operating Manual. I also have it available in German, if anyone out there needs it, just ask.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4215441/Topaz/Topaz2%3B2%2B_Operation.pdf

Kind regards,
Karl
www.hudsongrafik.com

PIC
17-May-2014, 07:45
Here's a dropbox link to download the pdf of the Topaz 2 / 2+ Operating Manual. I also have it available in German, if anyone out there needs it, just ask.

Kind regards,
Karl
www.hudsongrafik.com

Karl, Thank you so much for the operators manual! After finding the correct software for the Topaz 2 - Linocolor 5.1, I loaded it onto my G4 and was looking forward to my first scan off the machine. Instead the software came up with a message saying the memory card needs updating and then said the scsi was no longer connected. I found the card in the main computer under the unit but don't know how I can update it. Would you have a Service Manual showing Schematics that would cover things like this? I am going to have to dig into the computer module anyway apparently, as the fan is making a very excessive amount of noise. Would like to not go into the unit blind:confused. Also would you know of a reasonably priced parts supplier?

lts
26-Apr-2016, 00:19

Kind regards,
Karl
www.hudsongrafik.com

Hi Karl,
i'm in need of a german manual, so i just ask.... ;-). (2 years later...)

Thank you!