PDA

View Full Version : I have searched High and Low with no luck..

ImSoNegative
10-Oct-2011, 05:41
looked everywhere, I need a 5x7 back for my calumet c1, if i cant find one out there is there someone who can make one? thanks for any suggestions.

toyotadesigner
10-Oct-2011, 07:23
SKGrimes in the US, Wiese Fototechnik in Germany? I think they can make the standards and frames, but not the gear blocks (don't know your camera).

Bob Salomon
10-Oct-2011, 10:54
With the price of used 57 cameras today it will be a lot more cost effective to buy an old, used 57 and have someone make you an adapter board to take your current boards then try to make you a complete 57 back on a camera that will, at most, have 45 limited movements.
Go talk to Jeff at Quality camera or call KEH about used 57 cameras first.

Lynn Jones
10-Oct-2011, 13:10
I was on the team that created the C1 (then all magnesium) view canera, the problem with the 5x7 back was, lack of sales. I don't suppose that there were more than 10 or 15 per year sold while one out of every 2 or 3 C1's bought a 4x5 back.

5x7 cameras became very unpopular after the Mamiya 67. Within a year and a half or two years, the 5x7's with split back were replaced by 6x7's for the portrait trade. The country of Japan was easily the most interested in 5x7 after that.

Lynn

Randy
12-Oct-2011, 17:53
You can get a decent usable 5X7 wooden folder for $200 give or take. I found a 5X7 back for my 8X10 Fulmer & Shwing here at the forum for about $45 plus shipping, and about that time got an old Kodak 33A 5X7 for $200...now I have both.

Jeremy Moore
13-Oct-2011, 18:15
I have a crapped out 5x7 Korona with a removable 5x7 back with springs and ground glass. One option would be to buy the 5x7 back and have someone mount this to a back for your Calumet, would probably be cheaper than having one fabricated from scratch.

Paul Fitzgerald
13-Oct-2011, 19:57
"looked everywhere, I need a 5x7 back for my calumet c1, if i cant find one out there is there someone who can make one? thanks for any suggestions."

because of the double rebate on the back, it would be a bear to build from scratch.
would be a lot easier to find a 4x5 reducer back and a B&J Rembrant 5x7 portrait camera or back (cast aluminium GG frame) and merge the parts together.

Actually I do have those parts hanging around as spares so I know they will work out together.

Have fun with the hunt.