PDA

View Full Version : B&S Vs PF Contact Printing Frames

tgtaylor
8-Oct-2011, 21:21
The Bostick & Sullivan frames are priced twice that of Photographers Formulary. Is there any difference in construction, quality, materials used, etc that would justify the price differential?

Thomas

davehyams
9-Oct-2011, 11:15
yes, B&S frame is made from rock maple and baltic birch, with oversized springs for even pressure. They are built to last, and are a pleasure to print with. I have had an 11X14 for 10 years, and a 16X20 for 5, and they will last many more.

DarkroomDan
9-Oct-2011, 11:34
I have and make much use of an 11x14 B&S frame. I am very happy with it. I don't know if PF has changed its design but I used one of their frames at a workshop and did not like the snap catches they used on the back.

Dan

Gary Samson
9-Oct-2011, 11:47
yes, B&S frame is made from rock maple and baltic birch, with oversized springs for even pressure. They are built to last, and are a pleasure to print with. I have had an 11X14 for 10 years, and a 16X20 for 5, and they will last many more.

+1

tgtaylor
9-Oct-2011, 17:27
With respect to the wood used, the B&H website says that their PG frames are constructed of high quality oak and the Formulary's website says high quality cherry wood. There is no mention of the type of springs used in the Formulary's frame nor is there any photo of the back.

Are there any long-time users of the Formulary's frames that can share an opinion?

Thomas

Richard Rankin
9-Oct-2011, 18:28
I had a Formulary back a few years ago. Probably the single worst piece of photo equipment/peripheral I've ever had the misfortune to buy. So bad, I threw it away and bought a B&S.

Richard

tgtaylor
9-Oct-2011, 18:33
I had a Formulary back a few years ago. Probably the single worst piece of photo equipment/peripheral I've ever had the misfortune to buy. So bad, I threw it away and bought a B&S.

Richard

Richard,

Can you elaborate a little further on your experience?

BTW, I just came off the B&H website and there is a photo of the back of the PF frame:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/209109-REG/Photographers_Formulary_07_2005_11x14_Contact_Print_Frame.html

Thomas

Richard Rankin
9-Oct-2011, 18:40
You can see all 6 reasons in the second photo at that link.

Scott Perry might be making a few if you want a really solid one. PM him ('scott --') or go with B&S. A contact printing frame should last you a lifetime, so get a good one, not one that should come with medical insurance...

Richard

John Koehrer
9-Oct-2011, 19:50
The little spring latches on the PF frames are available at your local hardware store, they're used to hold screens or storm windows in your screen door.

Vaughn
9-Oct-2011, 20:31
PF is a fine company with a lousy contact printing frame. Someone had one at a workshop and everyone would jump in surprise every time the person did the clips. And one must be careful not to get one's fingers smashed. No pressure put onto the middle of the frame -- just the edges.

I have been using the B&S frames for many many years for carbon printing and platinum printing -- great product. I also use them standing on end (light shining horizontally) and they don't fall over.

Richard Rankin
9-Oct-2011, 20:44
PF is a fine company with a lousy contact printing frame. Someone had one at a workshop and everyone would jump in surprise every time the person did the clips. And one must be careful not to get one's fingers smashed. No pressure put onto the middle of the frame -- just the edges.

I have been using the B&S frames for many many years for carbon printing and platinum printing -- great product. I also use them standing on end (light shining horizontally) and they don't fall over.

PF may be the greatest bunch of humans in the existence of humanity, but if they continue to knowingly sell sub-standard products, then I think they are are a bunch of people knowingly selling sub-standard products.

Has ANYONE come out and said, yeah, I LOVE these cheapo frames made of fingersmashing crap that doesn't even hold the neg/paper sandwich correctly? Not that I see. Yeah, we like TF4 and other stuff they sell, but really, shouldn't these people stand up and take the heat and do it correctly? B&S does, every single time.

Richard

Vaughn
9-Oct-2011, 21:25
Relax!

No one is perfect, and they are not a bad frame for the price. The B&S frames are well over twice the price of the PF frames (and IMO, worth every penny).

Unfortunately, the B&S frames are currently unavailable except for the 8x10 size.

Richard Rankin
9-Oct-2011, 21:36
Relax!

No one is perfect, and they are not a bad frame for the price. The B&S frames are well over twice the price of the PF frames (and IMO, worth every penny).

Unfortunately, the B&S frames are currently unavailable except for the 8x10 size.

Well, I disagree. These are a bad frame at any price. Buy one and then tell me how much you love the value. You'll replace it if you haven't already. I've NEVER trashed a photo peripheral more than $2 or so, and I tossed this junk in the bin.

As I mentioned, PM Scott and get a good frame at a decent price, buy from B&S, and bequeath it in your will. But if you buy one from PF, then you deserve what you get.

Richard