Vick Ko
8-Oct-2011, 06:40
Got the view camera out.
Got all the kit prepared.
Got psyched up to get up early and shoot photos of the fall colours

....then slept in.

Aaargh.....

Now the kids are up, and the merry-go-round of family life is upon me again

That's why the view camera gathers dust.

How do you combat this, and actually get out to shoot?

Vick

Richard K.
8-Oct-2011, 07:08
In my case I just patiently waited until the two of them got into University and moved out...now I miss them and am too depressed to get up early in the morning...:rolleyes:

Well you still got the afternoon light!

thrice
8-Oct-2011, 07:09
A loud alarm and willpower... often insufficient!

E. von Hoegh
8-Oct-2011, 07:24
Got the view camera out.

....then slept in.

Aaargh.....

Vick

Insomniac batchelor.

Vick Ko
8-Oct-2011, 08:41
Ha ha ha,

I laughed when I read this.

My darkroom became my first son's bedroom. He's only 10 years old now. And the enlarger is in the basement, and has been since.

And last year, we had a new baby (...ie. what? Pregnant? I thought you're supposed to be starting menopause?????)

So - I might expire before the kids leave for university.

.....Vick

In my case I just patiently waited until the two of them got into University and moved out...now I miss them and am too depressed to get up early in the morning...:rolleyes:

Well you still got the afternoon light!

dsphotog
8-Oct-2011, 09:16
I call it "Me time"!

Steve Hamley
8-Oct-2011, 09:25
Vick,

Get your gear ready to go, preferably leave it in the car the night before so all you have to do is walk out and start the car up. Pack a lunch and a few snacks the night before. I find if I have to pack gear and food in the morning, it's a deterrent and I always forget something. Forgot the tripod one time when I was in too much of a hurry.

Cheers, Steve

Jim Noel
8-Oct-2011, 09:31
I'm with Steve. His is the only method which works for me.

SamReeves
8-Oct-2011, 09:34
Put a nude model in front of it. Then you'll have plenty of motivation. :D

BrianShaw
8-Oct-2011, 09:44
I'm with Jim, but honestly that has only worked 2 or 3 times in the past decade. Family needs are my top priority. I've been back to MF and 35mm for most photography... and a Speed Graphic hand-held for LF photography. The "real LF equipment" now comes out mostly for portraits, a genre that I generally ignored until I discovered to be a good way to integrate the family into my LF interests.

z_photo
8-Oct-2011, 09:45

and might even take a few photos

Richard K.
8-Oct-2011, 09:54
...... preferably leave it in the car the night before......

Depends on the neighbourhood you live in!

Although, my tripod is always there - I just carry out the lens case and the camera case and the filmholder case. First stop, *Tims, in Canada I think they are required to have one every km or so in the city and within 25 km on the highway...:D

*coffee, my American friends...

BrianShaw
8-Oct-2011, 09:55

You are either single/divorced, or have a VERY understanding wife. If I did that I'd have two less (or is that, two FEWER) body parts. :eek:

Frank Petronio
8-Oct-2011, 09:57
Landscape that you have to drive to and explore, "looking" is kind of impossible to make time for unless you make it a serious project or take a dedicated vacation. It's probably better to figure out how to work with what you've got and incorporate your family into it.

I'll go out for a few hours a couple of times a week but I work for myself. When I would travel for personal projects, it was 24-7 photography.

I also don't mind driving to see a client or someone and taking my time getting home, stopping along the way.

The people photography I do works because you have to show up for another person. However over time I have been spending less and less time with the people and doing it - now it is satisfying to do a portrait in two hours, whereas before I would take twice as long to do as much. I'm just more efficient at it with experience. Heck with small format I can shoot 2-3 frames and have something in seconds... and sometimes those are the best photos.

Also a faster camera - or getting faster with your camera - helps. A monorail in the car can be set up in seconds - I will often loosen the tripod head and collapse the legs enough to fit, and put the entire mounted camera in the back so it is very quick to yank out. Not having a ton of lenses and film and decisions helps a lot too. Simplify.

A DSLR or a Fuji 6x9 Rangefinder or anything else will also work, it doesn't all have to be large-format. Small format isn't worse or bad, just different.

atlcruiser
8-Oct-2011, 11:37
I am lucky in the Lori is semi understanding of my photo obsession. This week I just started my 4 day week for a while. M-Th is real business 7-7 and fri is all photography. It worked this week; we will see how it does next week

I dont know how guys with families do it

Greg Blank
8-Oct-2011, 12:17
Get to bed early, drink less alcohol exercise in the am frequently and vigorously before breakfast. Take cool showers after you get up and drink a single cup of coffee.

Works everytime :)

Got the view camera out.

....then slept in.

Aaargh.....

Vick

Roger Cole
8-Oct-2011, 12:20
Get to bed early, drink less alcohol exercise in the am frequently and vigorously before breakfast. Take cool showers after you get up and drink a single cup of coffee.

Works everytime :)

Harrumph. Great if you can do it.

Those who don't work weird hours have no idea how luxurious the concept of being able to go to sleep about the same time every night sounds.

/rant

neil poulsen
8-Oct-2011, 14:10
Go on a family picnic, say for an early lunch.

Your wife can set up the picnic table, prepare the food, and take care of the baby and kids while you're taking photographs.

Roger Cole
8-Oct-2011, 14:25
No kids yet but my fiance and I sometimes go to the park where I photograph while she writes poetry. Photography can often be combined with the interests of others in a family.

Darin Boville
8-Oct-2011, 14:42

Vick

Do you want a real answer to the question? Here's mine: Stop shooting the fall foliage stuff. Stop shooting the landscape stuff. Start shooting stuff that really matters to you. Start photographing your family, your dog, your house. Anything.

--Darin

Pawlowski6132
8-Oct-2011, 14:50
Three boys under 9 = darkroom only after 9pm. Image making outside the house, min one week notice and daily reminders.

Roger Cole
8-Oct-2011, 14:53
What if fall foliage and landscapes DO matter to you?

Not so sure about fall foliage but the landscape does matter to me.

BrianShaw
8-Oct-2011, 15:54

If it matters THAT much, Roger... either stay single of invest in birth control. But believe me, children enrich ones life and are much more fulfilling than photographing landscapes.

Roger Cole
8-Oct-2011, 15:58
If it matters THAT much, Roger... either stay single of invest in birth control. But believe me, children enrich ones life and are much more fulfilling than photographing landscapes.

Well if you knew my fiance - she's the one who got me back into photography in the first place, she's such a fan of art, and often enough goads me, "dear go to your darkroom and develop some of that film you've been shooting, or make some prints..."

I hear you about children but I think she and I will trade off enough for the other to pursue our own interests at least somewhat.

BrianShaw
8-Oct-2011, 16:04
... but I think she and I will trade off enough for the other to pursue our own interests at least somewhat.

I hope so, Roger. My wife is considerate like that too, but life frequently intervenes - school functions, homework to tutor, chores, home repairs, etc, etc, etc. It all works out though. I'm going to an affair at my kids school this afternoon/evening. Instead of LF landscapes I'll entertain myself with 35mm "street" and informal portraiture instead. We'll all have a great time.

johnielvis
8-Oct-2011, 16:19
wow....too bad---me NO WAY I can plan anything except if it's like meeting someone to shoot their pic...and even then it don't work right the way it does when it's spontaneous.....

it's pretty hard to plan inspiration---like anything else..best to have everything available and have at it when hyou have the opportunity...

me myself..if i had wife/kids...man...I would be following THEM around....hell...I'd probably pester them so much they'd leave me alone like you all seem to need to do any pics....really you're all missinh out on these great opportunities--particularly---got the cam all loaded and ready to go and kids are up...hey...follow them around.

press them in to service...halloween is coming...man...set up a camera and shoot shoot shoot....

ckeith
8-Oct-2011, 16:25
I am very lucky my wife's father has shot 5x7 since before she was born. So she is happy that I have started using a big camera. She thinks a family hike with photo breaks is fun and good exercise, so heading off to the hills with the 8x10 and the 4 year old is encouraged.

Vaughn
8-Oct-2011, 16:28
I have triplets and have always been a stay-at-home dad. I put down the 8x10 at first and took some SX70 images of the boys to satisfy the photo jones. Had lots of fun until the little buggers learned to crawl. It was a little tougher after that!

When the boys were old enough to walk a mile, we would go to the redwoods. I'd have the 8x10 and when I found something I wanted to photograph, I'd break out lunch and make my photo while the boys ate (and stayed in one place). We'd then continue our hike and then head on home. After all, I am not concerned with quantity of images, so one quality image on an outing is very satisfactory.

By the time they were around 6, I could make several photographs as I no longer had to worry about them falling into the creek (or at least I did not worry about them not being able to climb back out) and such. I also started to photograph them, as they could now hold still for the 30 seconds to a minute I needed for the exposures (the record is two minutes).

They are now 14 and I am pleased if they will come with me. We are due for another portrait -- it has been awhile!

Darkroom time is a problem...especially since I do not have one at home. When I was still married I could get a darkroom session in every week -- usually starting at 9pm and going until 7am. Now that I am divorced and I have the boys every other week, no darkroom time when I have the boys, and plenty the weeks I do not have them. This past week I had two all-night platinum printing sessions and am pleased with the results.

I can also go into work early and develop a few negatives -- the boys leave for high school at 7am and I don't start work until 10am.

But basically, I agree with the old saying -- An artist goes to work when the pain of not working gets too much.

Andrew O'Neill
8-Oct-2011, 16:36
Vick, Get an alarm clock that will kick your arse out of bed... and sometimes you just have to be a bit selfish with your time when it comes to your photography.

Greg Blank
8-Oct-2011, 18:11
Fall color I can take or "leave" it :D

It can be be so intense here. Of the states I have been to in fall, VA, West VA, PA, NY, NH, Maine ....Maryland has fairly consistently stunning Fall Color. A diverse range of Yellow, Red, Oranges. Maybe I just missed the peak color in the other areas. Realistically camping is the best way to do morning landscape imagery, most of the calendar and book stock type landscape stuff is shot by those that do that sort of stuff as a study of the areas and spend more than a quick trip out to there,,, not done on the spur of the moment, although with digital cameras getting better, perhaps less so.

For me many scenic fall pictures that I see versus the ones I am making at this time, are color centeric which is not a recipe for creation of a lasting art statement per say but just income for some. I am not really motivated to one uping some other published photographer, for the following years calendar. I really pity the art directors, that view portfolios and submissions for scenic work, because they see all the over photographed places that I have come to avoid.

So I will seriously say I am very picky about what I do take in color in fall time. Unless it can be translated successfully to my projects either in color or B&W- I will bypass it. The form and shape in light, are what I am trying to achieve and color is 99.99 times the secondary.

Darin Boville
8-Oct-2011, 18:50

Hey Roger,

If the early morning lighting or leaf color really matters to someone--I mean *really* matters--then they wouldn't oversleep, at least not on a regular basis :)

My point being that maybe the oversleeping is a sign that the foliage one is *supposed* to shoot, not what truly drives you (him, me, them).

--Darin (who has kids, and lot of kid responsibilities, too)

Roger Cole
8-Oct-2011, 19:43
Hey Roger,

If the early morning lighting or leaf color really matters to someone--I mean *really* matters--then they wouldn't oversleep, at least not on a regular basis :)

My point being that maybe the oversleeping is a sign that the foliage one is *supposed* to shoot, not what truly drives you (him, me, them).

--Darin (who has kids, and lot of kid responsibilities, too)

Ok, granted. And if it meant enough to me, I'd stay up when I come home from overnight work at 0700 or so. In fact I have done that for other hobbies (when I was a student pilot but flying solo, to get up and practice in very calm air..) But I have to be pretty dedicated at that point. ;)

Two23
8-Oct-2011, 20:37

Vick

I shoot at night a lot.

Kent in SD

cyrus
8-Oct-2011, 21:17
Oh Jesus - it is just a hobby. Relax. Or, tie up the kids in the attic... Your choice.

David R Munson
8-Oct-2011, 22:47
I say use whatever means are necessary to get yourself really psyched up and focused on the idea of getting up super early the next day to go make photographs. Really, really focus and build up an unassailable bubble of positive thinking around it. Let the energy of that carry you through the act of it.

I don't have kids. I'm not married...yet. I work full time and live with my significant other, but I still have plenty of time for photography when it comes down to it. My big source of difficulty has been a history of severe depression, which makes getting out the door to do what you love extraordinarily difficult sometimes. However, the above technique does work for me. Some people don't need something as involved as that, which is great, but it's worth a try if you do. All that positive self-talk may strike some as being unbelievably lame or embarrassing, but I say ask yourself this: what's worse - psyching yourself up or sleeping through your alarm and not even getting started on the thing you really wanted to do?

Darin Boville
9-Oct-2011, 00:44
Oh Jesus - it is just a hobby.

I definitely missed that memo. :)

--Darin

Vaughn
9-Oct-2011, 20:21
I definitely missed that memo. :)

--Darin

I must have too...:eek:

My ex-wife did not miss it though. In our divorce, she tried to convince the judge that I was not a "professional" artist. Why she tried is too complicated to go into here.

cyrus
9-Oct-2011, 21:37
Well, not taking things too seriously is still a good idea, hobby or profession. What's the point of beating oneself up? Life's short, and the sun rises tomorrow.

scm
9-Oct-2011, 22:10
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death

Brian C. Miller
10-Oct-2011, 09:02
Oh Jesus - it is just a hobby.

One time I was in incredible back pain and I couldn't go to work, or even sit in a chair. I had to photograph so badly that I spent over an hour crawling around on the floor, getting my camera out, setting up the tripod, loading the film, focusing ... to photograph a door knob.

Hobby? Who goes through that for macrame or model trains?

Vaughn
10-Oct-2011, 09:06
Model train builders can be far more fanatic than photographers...;)

Darin Boville
10-Oct-2011, 09:18
Model train builders can be far more fanatic than photographers...;)

No joke there. I used to live in Maryland, outside of DC. The guy I bought the house from was a model train guy. Had his set-up on the cover of Model Railroader magazine. It was about 30' x 25' in size, took five guys to run it at one time, had a video camera in the nose of the engine which was displayed on a monitor. Detailed train schedules, uber-historical accuracy. hard core stuff. It all went to some museum when he sold to me.

The good news for me was that the basement was not only beautifully finished but he had all these electric outlets in the ceiling, and beefed up circuits. Great for a photo studio and darkroom (no drips into sockets, no long cords for safelights, etc).

--Darin