PDA

View Full Version : What works with instant film backs?

Darin Boville
7-Oct-2011, 11:57
I've tried a number of 4x5s, both field and monorail, and I'm having a hard time finding one that works well with the instant pack film backs. As you know, they are awfully thick.

I encounter one of two problems--when you insert/remove the back the back is so tight that it is a struggle ego gets it in or out and the camera gets bounced all around. Not good.

In one case (Sinar P) I was really bummed to learn that in a vertical orientation it was near impossible to get the dark slide in and out.

So what cameras *do* work well with these backs?

--Darin

jp
7-Oct-2011, 12:15
Look for the graflok backs. Look for the coiled spring to the side of the groundglass with the levers that attach at the middle of the cameraback.

pacemaker and newer speed graphics have them, crown graphics have them. Many newer LF cameras have backs of similar style (canham, toyo, shen-hao, etc..)

rdenney
7-Oct-2011, 14:21
In one case (Sinar P) I was really bummed to learn that in a vertical orientation it was near impossible to get the dark slide in and out.

I've never had trouble with a Fujiroid PA-45 on my F back, with the dark slide pulled from the top, and using the Graflok mounting instead of the spring back.

In fact, if the setup is really sensitive, I've been known to replace the dark slide after exposure and then remove the back before pulling the tab on the film packet.

Rick "thinking the top of the F back is the same as the P" Denney

Oren Grad
7-Oct-2011, 15:14
Don't try to use it as a slide-in. Use a camera with a Graflok back.

Ari
9-Oct-2011, 09:36
The Toyo G will work as a slide-in; so will the Technikardan and Wista metal field cameras.
After exposure, always replace the dark slide, remove the Pola back, and pull the film, no matter what camera you're using.

toyotadesigner
9-Oct-2011, 11:40
Arca Swiss has an adaptor for the rear standard, with a Pola back attached. You just remove the Graflok and snap in the Pola. But I'm not sure if they still offer the Pola backs. Mine is from 1986 and still works like a charm. Just clean the rollers before snapping in a new pack of Polas.

Darin Boville
9-Oct-2011, 11:47
Does removing the back and attaching the Polaroid that way really work in the field? Quite frankly (duh) I never tried that. My usual approach is as a slide-in, then out to pull the film. Then back in. I want to avoid all that movement on the camera but so many backs are just a tad too tight with the fat pack film backs. Another centimeter would change everything...I wish there was a thinner pack back--they don't seem to be as thin as they could be...

--Darin

toyotadesigner
9-Oct-2011, 11:52
Does removing the back and attaching the Polaroid that way really work in the field?

Yes, definitely. A slide-in gives more pressure to the camera set up than a clip off and clip on. If the knobs are locked, nothing will move. In this regard the Arca is just fantastic.

Noah A
9-Oct-2011, 14:34
I use a PA-45 and I've had no problems with it with my Linhof backs, both on the TK45S and the MT2000. It fits in easily. It's always a good idea to use your free hand to separate the groundglass back from the camera while you guide the holder in place. Having your hand on the camera also prevents it from moving out of position.

I've also used the PA-45 with a Horseman back on my dayi handheld camera, and it works fine too. I don't actually know what camera the Horseman back comes from but it looks like the one one the 45FA.

I know I could use the graflok slides instead, but that means removing the gg back, which could get dropped, and it also leaves the back of the camera open to dust and debris. So I prefer to put the holder under the gg just like a normal film holder.

Frankly, if you want a camera that's so solid you can jam the holders in and out with impunity, that camera is a Linhof Technika, not that I condone such activity:eek: .

With the Technika and the Linhof 3-way leveling head, if you're too rough you're more likely to push the entire tripod across the ground than to shift the position of the tripod head or camera.

Darin Boville
9-Oct-2011, 14:40
Isn't the PA-45 the single sheet holder? If so, then that would be no problem at all. I'm using the 10-sheet packs (much, much cheaper). With those they are not only tight in my Linhof but damn near impossible to get out.

--Darin

Darin Boville
9-Oct-2011, 14:42
I just checked and I'm wrong--the PA-45 is a pack back. Is it thinner than the Polaroids?

--Darin

Noah A
9-Oct-2011, 14:59
The PA-45 is for 4x5 pack film. There is also a PA-145 for the smaller pack film, but I don't know if it's any thinner.

I don't have precision measuring devices, but my littler ruler says that my PA-45 is 27mm thick. The leading edge is eased somewhat to make it easier to fit into the camera.

Ari
9-Oct-2011, 18:40
I have both and they are of the same thickness.
The PA-45 uses the 4x5 instant film, which is much more expensive.

rdenney
11-Oct-2011, 10:39
I just checked and I'm wrong--the PA-45 is a pack back. Is it thinner than the Polaroids?

The Fuji back looks to me like it came from Polaroid molds. And it probably did.

Rick "who doesn't like to strain spring backs that much, even those designed for a deep back" Denney