PDA

View Full Version : Camera simulator

cyrus
7-Oct-2011, 10:15
You've seen this online simulation of a 35mm SLR (http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator.html)camera right?
Now if there was only a similar simulator for LF which showed movements . . .

MumbleyJoe
7-Oct-2011, 11:13
Wow, that's actually really cool - it covers a lot of considerations for shooting a typical 35mm camera.

Sadly, I know of nothing like it for LF, so I don't have anything helpful to contribute, but thanks for posting that.

Noah A
7-Oct-2011, 11:33
I thought a DSLR was an SLR simulator:D

cyrus
7-Oct-2011, 12:36
Perhaps one of our intrepid computer gurus on this site could help! The perfect LF camera simulator would be an iphone-type app that not only show the effects of various movements but also various focal length lenses, and bellows extensions, and the results on exposure times etc.Now THAT would be REALLY cool

E. von Hoegh
7-Oct-2011, 12:59
Perhaps one of our intrepid computer gurus on this site could help! The perfect LF camera simulator would be an iphone-type app that not only show the effects of various movements but also various focal length lenses, and bellows extensions, and the results on exposure times etc.Now THAT would be REALLY cool

LF simulator is a great idea, but on that tiny screen, it'll be useless or worse. You'd need a decent size monitor to really see what movements do, say 8 x 10 inches or so.;)

cyrus
7-Oct-2011, 13:24
LF simulator is a great idea, but on that tiny screen, it'll be useless or worse. You'd need a decent size monitor to realy see what movements do, say 8 x 10 inches or so.;)

You're right. So it has to fit on a computer laptop monitor. That's good enough.

So, who will volunteer to program this! :D

GPS
7-Oct-2011, 13:27

Nothing can beat the intuitiveness you gain with hands on manipulation of a real LF camera. What you would learn on a simulator is not applicable in LF praxis where you don't input with the help of virtual buttons. The complexity of such a simulator would kill its purpose. Just my weak opinion.

E. von Hoegh
7-Oct-2011, 13:42
I think a simulator would be valuable.
Someone could see just what movements can do - for example to prevent that building falling backwards, or to bring a tabletop shot at a 45 degree angle at half lifesize into sharp focus. There can be no substitute for hands on experience and the intuition gained therefrom, but it (simulator) might draw someone new to LF use.

Brian C. Miller
7-Oct-2011, 14:05
Actually, I think I've got the idea. CameraSim is an Adobe Flash app, and all you really need is a little model to move around with a "hand." You would look at the GG separately.

Shift and rise of course are easy. The effects of tilt are also easy. What you'd have to get "right" is the focus plane.

Vaughn
7-Oct-2011, 14:27
I find an 8x10 box of FP4+ to be an excellent camera stimulator.

Whoops...never mind...

Steve Hamley
7-Oct-2011, 21:18
Now if there was only a similar simulator for LF which showed movements . . .

It's called a ground glass... ;)

Cheers, Steve

Jim Noel
8-Oct-2011, 09:33
Look for Merklinger - "Ins and Outs of Focus"

cyrus
8-Oct-2011, 15:53
Seriously, someone should program this simulator for LF photography. It would do wonders for generating interest in the field. Of course, then prices of lenses on ebay would go up too...hmmmm. NO WAIT DO NOT DO THIS!

Vaughn
8-Oct-2011, 16:46
It's called a ground glass... ;)

Cheers, Steve

I agree -- you see a lot when you look...:D