PDA

View Full Version : Type 55 - Hard to Clear?

Michael J. Kravit
15-Sep-2003, 15:52
Recently I started using a new order of Type 55 after running out of my older supply. These new packets are a different color than the old ones (gray vs. black or the opposite as I forget what the new ones are). I find that even with a saturated soldium sulfite solution, not all of the goo is clearing off even with a prolonged wash.

Has anyone else noticed this.

Steve Hamley
15-Sep-2003, 16:05
Michael,

Yep, I've noticed the difficult clearing. I like to very gently rub off the majority of goop under lukewarm running water, using my fingers, then into the clearing bath. I haven't had any scratching or damage problems, at least yet.

Thanks!

Steve

Tom Westbrook
15-Sep-2003, 16:38
Hi Michael,

I've noticed that, too, in some I bought last winter but I thought it was because it's been sitting around too long. I've just been doing the same thing Steve described. I don't see any qualitative difference in the ultimate results after I get all the goop off, but it is annoying. My major problem with it recently is pulling it without getting an undeveloped spear-head-shaped area at the end of it.

Keith Pitman
15-Sep-2003, 21:02
The 'goo' will also come off readily under a stream of water. I use a sprayer, but holding the negative under the faucet should work as well. Seems there should be less risk of damaging the negative.

s. gregory
16-Sep-2003, 07:19
Yes! That spear-head shaped area at the bottom of the negative! I too have that problem, and don't run enough Type 55 (i.e. I don't have a second box I can compare my current lot to, or a second holder) to be able to readily ascertain whether it is a problem with the film or the holder. I cleaned the rollers on the holder and thought it might have reduced the problem a little bit, but it might have been my imagination. Any insight anyone can provide into THAT problem would be greatly appreciated.

I don't mean to hijack the question. I also find that the chemical goop needs a little encouragement with fingers and a stream of water to get it off the neg, depending on how long it has been soaking for, and that extra manipulation has yet to scratch the negative.

Brian Kennedy
16-Sep-2003, 09:17
I haven't had a problem clearing the goo in a Hypo Clear solution. My envelopes are grey, I think the newest are black, though, right?

Steven, about the "V" -- see this thread on photo.net: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005sBI

And this thread on photo.net: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005vPT

And this temporary page of mine (glad I've left it up, I've been meaning to take it down): http://www.briankennedy.net/temp.html

And this thread on naturephotographers.net (may require registration): http://forums.naturephotographers.net/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=8306088241&f=8556005841&m=57310932

Bottom line - it's a film emulsion problem. Return the box and get a new one. It's a crapshoot, as the new box may be faulty, too (I've had two faulty boxes in a row).

Scott Walton
16-Sep-2003, 09:54
I too haven't had a problem when using HCA and in particular, Permawash made by Heico. As far as the negs not getting the goop all the way down to the end, I have cleaned my rollers with 91% isopropyl alcohol and that works great because it gives the rollers a great cleaning and rejuvenates the rubber so you get a great gripping/spreading action. I have done this about once a week for about 10 years now with no degrading of the rollers!

Peter Hamilton
16-Sep-2003, 11:54
I have also found this clearing problem with both recent but old-style boxes of 55PN, and the new ones too. My solution is to agitate the film vigorously in sodium sulfite, leave it a few hours in the solution, then put through weakish fix (Hypam at 1:9) followed by a good wash. More worryingly I too have been having the 'spear' problem, across half a negative. I was using outdated 55 at first, and assumed that was the reason, but have also had it with more recent 'fresh' film. After a careful roller clean it did not happen again, but then I only exposed one or two sheets. Has anybody raised this with Polaroid? Is it a known manufacturing problem? Having recently moved over to a 405 back and film packs, I'm wondering whether it occurs with that version of the PN film as well...?

Brian Kennedy
16-Sep-2003, 15:28
In response to Peter - it sure seems like a well-known problem. Or at least, it seems to be common to lots of us using Type 55 film. I don't know if Polaroid has been notified. I didn't notify them, I just exchanged the box at my store for another one. The new box has the same problem!

Amadou Diallo
17-Sep-2003, 07:02
I've also recently used the newer (grey packet) batch of 55PN. Using a working solution of Heico Permawash, I haven't had any problems getting the goo off. My procedure has been 1. agitate and then soak in Permawash for 2-3 minutes 2. place neg in water for 3-4 minutes 3. repeat step 1 4. repeat step 2 5. soak in PhotoFlo for 30 sec 6. Hang to dry

So far the negs have emerged free of goo and scatches.

Brian Kennedy
17-Sep-2003, 09:40
For those who are interested in the portion of this thread dealing with the "V" problem in the emulsion, I received a good response from Polaroid, posted here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/thread.php?topic=496618.