PDA

View Full Version : Zero position front on Linhof Color

Cor
6-Oct-2011, 11:31
I recently acquired a 4*5 inch Linhof Color. I am a bit uncertain what the exact zero postion of the rising front is. According to the manual (on orphancameras.com) it is mentioned that the Linhof Color front (similar to the front standard of a Tech IV if I am correct) that the front can drop 1/4 inch, and that the zero position is by a white line on the upper left of the lens standard. On my camera is not such a white line and I assumed that the lens panel should be completely below, but now I start to doubt that..

Since in that position I have no front drop of the modest 1/4 inch mentioned, so what is the correct position to zero the front raise?

thanks,

Best,

Cor

Bob Salomon
6-Oct-2011, 11:43
Does your camera have a one or two piece rail?

Mark Woods
6-Oct-2011, 16:19
I'd center the lens on the GG and make your own mark.

al olson
6-Oct-2011, 17:44
I recently acquired a 4*5 inch Linhof Color. I am a bit uncertain what the exact zero postion of the rising front is. According to the manual (on orphancameras.com) it is mentioned that the Linhof Color front (similar to the front standard of a Tech IV if I am correct) that the front can drop 1/4 inch, and that the zero position is by a white line on the upper left of the lens standard. On my camera is not such a white line and I assumed that the lens panel should be completely below, but now I start to doubt that..

Since in that position I have no front drop of the modest 1/4 inch mentioned, so what is the correct position to zero the front raise?

thanks,

Best,

Cor

Cor,

I have a Linhof Color 4x5 (1958-1964) with "The lens standard and back of both models [4 x 5 and 2 1/4 x 3 1/4] the front standard and the back were almost identical with the same parts of the Technika ..." [quote from The Linhof Camera Story] In this case the Color operates identically to my Tecnhika IV.

I checked the directions on orphancameras.org. They have scanned the instruction sheet (I have that instruction sheet somewhere) that appears to be the same one the seller sent with my camera. You are correct regarding the claim of 1/4" drop and a white line for the zero position. I have always used the Color with the standard in its lowest position, assuming that it was zeroed. In fact, when it is raised 1/4" higher the bellows do not appear in balance.

So..., I have carefully searched for this mystery white line. The best I can determine is that there appears to be a faint line etched (scratched?), but not appearing white, into the black portion of the rise, 1/4" from the top on the left as you face the camera. So that when the black rise goes above the standard frame, this line should be visible. I am interested in what you find.

Regarding the quote above, does this mean that the Technikas also have 1/4" drop?

Regards,

Cor
7-Oct-2011, 01:41
Does your camera have a one or two piece rail?

Hi Bob,

I have the older (dated by you as 1963) version with the single rail. Just when I bought it from Lars (this camera has a interesting live behind it, has seen many places: India Denmark, and now The Netherlands..who knows were it was before India), there was one for sale in my own town. Then I learned that there is also a more modern version with a 2 piece rail, a "cut out" at the top of the back standard and a kind of hybrid bellows to accommodate WA lenses..

But I digress: one piece rail it is..

Best,

Cor

Cor
7-Oct-2011, 01:57
Cor,

So..., I have carefully searched for this mystery white line. The best I can determine is that there appears to be a faint line etched (scratched?), but not appearing white, into the black portion of the rise, 1/4" from the top on the left as you face the camera. So that when the black rise goes above the standard frame, this line should be visible. I am interested in what you find.

Regarding the quote above, does this mean that the Technikas also have 1/4" drop?

Regards,

Just checked my camera, and found it! Hard to see, but just as you described, thanks Al!

I guess the paint must have been worn, the drop is indeed a meagre max. around 9mm (1/4 inch).

Not really convenient, but for more drop one could us max back tilt on both the front and back standard (according to the manual both 15deg), and vertically level the tilted back so you obtain quite some drop than.

Oh well I do not use drop often anyway, but it is good to know the zero point with lenses with limited coverage such as my 65mm SA f8 (although movement is limited anyway)

best,

Cor

Bob Salomon
7-Oct-2011, 04:29
If you look at a Linhof Technika lens board you will see that the hole is low of center. It is positioned there so that when the front standard is at the bottom position the center of the lens is centered on the small cross on the center of a Linhof ground glass.

Now, if your lens is not in a Linhof board and is in one of the copy Technika boards with a centered hole then you need to find the center yourself. If your gg is a non-Linhof one without the center cross then you also have to find the center. But that is very easy to do.

Cor
7-Oct-2011, 04:49
If you look at a Linhof Technika lens board you will see that the hole is low of center. It is positioned there so that when the front standard is at the bottom position the center of the lens is centered on the small cross on the center of a Linhof ground glass.

Now, if your lens is not in a Linhof board and is in one of the copy Technika boards with a centered hole then you need to find the center yourself. If your gg is a non-Linhof one without the center cross then you also have to find the center. But that is very easy to do.

Hi Bob.

That is clear, but your remark "It is positioned there so that when the front standard is at the bottom position the center of the lens is centered on the small cross on the center" seems to contradict with the manual which says that the front standard is zeroed when the white line is aligned with the chrome front standard, that means a slight raise of 1/4 inch. And that distance is also mentioned in the manual as the drop front distance. If the lens board is already at the very bottom, there is no more room for the front drop, right ?

Best,

Cor

al olson
7-Oct-2011, 10:45

So-o-o, does this mean that if I am using a Linhof board (just checked and all 8 of my Linhof boards have the lens mounted below center) on a Linhof Color this will give me 1/4" drop?

But if I use it on a Technika it is correctly centered?

And if I want it centered on the Color I should be using it raised 1/4"?

Regards,

Bob Salomon
7-Oct-2011, 11:00
So-o-o, does this mean that if I am using a Linhof board (just checked and all 8 of my Linhof boards have the lens mounted below center) on a Linhof Color this will give me 1/4" drop?

But if I use it on a Technika it is correctly centered?

And if I want it centered on the Color I should be using it raised 1/4"?

Regards,

No. It means that when using a Linhof board the lens is centered on the GG with a Technika, a Color or a Kardan Color.

Here is Linhof's description for a Linhof Color 45:

"Monorail view camera predecessor of Kardan Color. Rotating Back with swing/tilt frame but no shifts similar to Technika. Lens standard with tilts and shifts also similar to Technika standard and firmly mounted on standard bearer on base rail. Essentially, movable Technika elements mounted on a monorail."

There is no mention of front drop shift at all.

However, since the camera can rotate on the monorail by loosening the clamp it is very easy to rotate the entire camera to the upside down position so the rise then becmes lens drop.

Bob Salomon
7-Oct-2011, 11:03
Hi Bob.

That is clear, but your remark "It is positioned there so that when the front standard is at the bottom position the center of the lens is centered on the small cross on the center" seems to contradict with the manual which says that the front standard is zeroed when the white line is aligned with the chrome front standard, that means a slight raise of 1/4 inch. And that distance is also mentioned in the manual as the drop front distance. If the lens board is already at the very bottom, there is no more room for the front drop, right ?

Best,

Cor

See Linhof's description of the features of the camera in #10.

al olson
7-Oct-2011, 12:17
Bob,

I understand. I have the same quote on page 140 of The Linhof Camera Story.

However, Cor is referencing the instruction sheet that came with the Color and has a scanned image of it at orphancameras.org. This is a large instruction sheet that folds into panels the size of the printed page. orphancameras.org has simply scanned each panel into a pdf file.

On the second Linhof panel at the bottom under Technical Data it says "Drop front: 1/4 in."

On the seventh panel, Camera Front Adjustments, 1st paragraph, it says:
"1. The rising front is a parallel displacement of the optical axis moving the image upwards. Operated with a milled head (21) it is used to avoid perspective distortions of tall subjects. A lens with a large circle of sharp definition is needed for that purpose. The normal position of the lens board is marked by the white line on the upper left of the lens standard."

When set at this line the standard is approximately 1/4" from the bottom. This would indicate that the zeroed position of the Color is different (i.e. 1/4" higher) from that of the Technika. (Although they use the same lens board and have similar standards, I have been unable to find a such a line on my Technika IV.)

What Cor and I are trying to do is resolve these differences and determine why the difference.

Regards,

Bob Salomon
7-Oct-2011, 13:06
I will check our old files when I am back in the office on Tue. But for 0.25" (6.4mm) of movement with modern lenses this is not much of an issue.

Cor
9-Oct-2011, 03:32
I will check our old files when I am back in the office on Tue. But for 0.25" (6.4mm) of movement with modern lenses this is not much of an issue.

Bob,

Indeed we are in nit-picking country, but that is were Large Format is also about, al these details...:) ..

Al,

After I located the tiny "scratch" indicating the zero position, I decided to paint it white, so I took some alcohol to clean, and low and behold the line (well actually the bare metal) re-appeared, it was just covered with grime..

Best,

Cor

Bob Salomon
11-Oct-2011, 06:02
I checked our records this morning and can not find any reference material, other then what I already posted, on the camera. So I can not tell you what the mark is for.