PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic Hard Case

K. Praslowicz
5-Oct-2011, 08:37
I'm tossing around the idea of picking up one of those big vintage metal cases from a Speed Graphic, wondering if anyone would for/advise against it. Usually I just keep the film & accessories in a small padded bag and sling the camera body over my shoulder with a strap. This set up is pretty light and works great for long walks and exploratory shoots.

Lately though I've been doing a lot more of portraits with people where I just drive to where ever I want to shoot, and don't have to walk much. So basically working out of the back of my car with only very short walks involved, a big top loading metal hard case seems like it might not be too bad in that case. And with winter coming up, something I could just jam into a snowbank and pop open seems like a great convenience.

Thoughts? Worth the bulk or no?

Mark Sampson
5-Oct-2011, 09:24
Well, they aren't metal, but some sort of early plastic called 'Vulcanoid'. Not that it makes any difference. The issues compared to a modern bag are that they really only fit a Graphic (although I see you have one), due to the fixed dividers; and they offer no padding. But they should be cheap, and so worth a try.

BrianShaw
5-Oct-2011, 10:33
I use one of those, and a two-wheeled luggage trolley to pull it with. Works quite well for me as long as the terrain isn't too rugged.

Jim Jones
5-Oct-2011, 11:44
I sometimes use Vulcanite cases for press and view cameras. The rest of the time they make good storage cases to keep everything together for a quick shoot. For more compact press camera cases, Samsonite overnight cases also work well. They are tough and, when missing keys and trays, should be cheap.

amac212
5-Oct-2011, 12:19
In the end, I personally found it to be more of a hassle than it was worth. Packed, it's heavy. Not as comfy walking along holding by the handle. I finally got to the point where I just simply picked the darn thing up and carried it in front of me like a bag of groceries to even out the weight!

They are large and bulky and yes, could be wheeled using a hand cart / trolley... but as you mention possibly working out of the back of your car - really what might be the 'need' for the case in those situations?

And if it snows, well then wheely-carts are a no-go and (just my opinion) it would be a pain to have to lug that big thing around without one.

jp
5-Oct-2011, 12:30
Right now, I keep my speed graphic, 2 lenses, light meter, and several film holders in a black nylon widemouth toolbag from home depot. It's working pretty good and doesn't scream "camera equipment" I lug that in one hand and tripod in the other. I put a piece of pipe insulation on a tripod leg so it won't be cold on my hands or shoulder in the winter.

Before that, I used a cheap metal case that was padded inside.

The ultimate would be a pelican case like the 1510/1520 with the padded insert.

John Kasaian
5-Oct-2011, 21:55
I have a Vulcanoid for my GV2. Super nice cases for Graphics!
For my 8x10 I'm currently using GI surplus cooler bags designed to keep 5 gallon water containers cool--heavy insulated canvas with wooden bottoms and mil-spec brass zippers on top---about $18 when you can find them.

john biskupski
5-Oct-2011, 22:54
The vulcanoid cases came in (at least) two sizes, one much deeper and a bit taller than the other. Great for storage of a Speed of Crown graphic system with plenty of space for the Graflight flash system with incandescent bulbs and various reflector heads too.

For walking around with just a body and film holders or grafmatic, I use a Lowepro Mini-Trekker.

Jan Normandale
5-Oct-2011, 23:25
Right now, I keep my speed graphic, 2 lenses, light meter, and several film holders in a black nylon widemouth toolbag from home depot. It's working pretty good and doesn't scream "camera equipment" I lug that in one hand and tripod in the other. I put a piece of pipe insulation on a tripod leg so it won't be cold on my hands or shoulder in the winter.

Before that, I used a cheap metal case that was padded inside.

The ultimate would be a pelican case like the 1510/1520 with the padded insert.

thanks for that idea.. I'm going to check it out. It sounds like a good one.

unixrevolution
6-Oct-2011, 03:41
I got a Super Graphic complete with the hard-shell case, and I doubt i'll ever use it. I had a standard SLR shoulder-bag and the Super kind of moved in unannounced.

Good thing my SLRs had already started renting a Pentax sling-bag or they'd be upset! :D

The hard case seems like a hassle, especially since it has no padding unless you add some. I like knowing I can give my padded shoulder bag a jolt and nothing will get chipped/scratched/hurt. The case I have is a $45 "Ape Case" with movable dividers. I keep a camera, 2 extra lenses, 5 film holders, and a trigger-grip in there, along with loupe, changing bag, light meter, and cable release. The tripod is something I have to carry separately as my bag's tripod loops are crap.

SpeedGraphicMan
6-Oct-2011, 13:44
You could try old ammo cases from a military surplus.
They are water tight and extremely durable. You can get Metal or Plastic ones.

Check out: Popular Mechanics May 1946 issue in Google Books Page 203

K. Praslowicz
7-Oct-2011, 09:24
They are large and bulky and yes, could be wheeled using a hand cart / trolley... but as you mention possibly working out of the back of your car - really what might be the 'need' for the case in those situations?

The need is something I can just leave by my door and toss into the car in one swoop. I have plenty of bags & backpacks that do that, but I always end up disliking them while working. I something with a big flip top where I can get to everything without having to dig through other things. Course, I could just need the right backpack. Nothing I have is actually designed for camera equipment.

unixrevolution
17-Oct-2011, 09:22
The need is something I can just leave by my door and toss into the car in one swoop. I have plenty of bags & backpacks that do that, but I always end up disliking them while working. I something with a big flip top where I can get to everything without having to dig through other things. Course, I could just need the right backpack. Nothing I have is actually designed for camera equipment.

Since I've not really used my hard case since getting it, I might be inclined to let it go. Send me a PM if interested.

John Kasaian
17-Oct-2011, 10:17
The vulcanoid cases are to store your Speede'sr accoutrements neatly in the trunk of your '47 Chevrolet, or maybe to leave in the press box at Madison Square Garden while you're down cover the ring or perhaps you'll carry it across the Crime Scene police line so you won't have to con your way back in after you've burned through your last Grafmatic.
Your Speeder needs one. It's like a security blanket for 'em---a part of their culture ;)