PDA

View Full Version : Cambo Compendium Shade mount?

Dietrich Floeter
3-Oct-2011, 19:30
So I got a Cambo Compendium Shade with a Sinar F2 I bought a few years ago with no indication it was ever used around the Sinar and appears to be spare parts. I have not yet figured out how this was mounted on a Cambo but hope to attach a shop made adapter to an F2 and possibly Wista wood field camera.

I also cruised a few old Calumet catalogs for clues in product pix but no dice. Any ideas or I can just continue to use the slide.

lenser
3-Oct-2011, 20:06
All of the Cambo shades that I am familiar with (two kinds of bellows shades) mount the same way. It is a two pin top mount that sockets into holes at the corners of the top of the front standard, coupled with a plastic clip on a metal bar at the bottom that mounts at the center to both the front and back of the front standard.

I'm not familiar with the Sinar's standard and whether or not it has compatible holes for the pins and the proper width for the bottom clip. It might be possible to jury rig some kind of adapter plate, but it sounds like that would truly be a PITA to meld one system to the other. As to the Wista, I think you would be better off just using the dark slide or trying to find one of the old Calumet bellows shades that were made for field camera use and mounted directly to the lens and could both be collapsed for wides angle use and would also twist on multiple axis to accommodate swing and tilt movements. The Wista front and the Cambo shade are considerably off in relative size.

Dietrich Floeter
3-Oct-2011, 21:36
You are right about the jury rig and PITA that it would be. I do have a Lee shade but have misplaced it and hopefully did not leave it on a job year's ago.

Thanks

Richard Mahoney
3-Oct-2011, 23:40
So I got a Cambo Compendium Shade with a Sinar F2 I bought a few years ago with no indication it was ever used around the Sinar and appears to be spare parts. I have not yet figured out how this was mounted on a Cambo but hope to attach a shop made adapter to an F2 and possibly Wista wood field camera.

I also cruised a few old Calumet catalogs for clues in product pix but no dice. Any ideas or I can just continue to use the slide.

The two prongs slot in the top and then it clips on the bottom, or at least this is how this iteration works:

http://camera-antipodea.indica-et-buddhica.com/about/equipment/monorail-view-camera.jpg

Kind regards,

Richard

GPS
4-Oct-2011, 03:22

One thing one should know about compendium lens shades is that they are far from being the most efficient lens shade you can easily make. The simple fact that their rectangular dimension is given and not changeable is their biggest weakness, not to speak about their weight, the imbecile ways of attaching them to the front standard etc. etc.

This dimensional limitation means that you're limited to one given length of the shade beyond which vignetting would occur. Here is what you can do - find the longest length of the compendium shade that is still without vignetting. Now make a simple rectangular "fence" out of black flocked paper with the same depth and circumference dimension as your compendium. If you want you can make it stiffer with a piece of harder paper in the corners to maintain its shape. Throw away the compendium and attach this home made lens shade which weighs almost nothing to the front standard. Because its weight is minimal you have a plenty of possible easy ways how to keep it on the front standard.

Now you have a lens shade as efficient as the compendium (except for the compendium folds catching a small part of light) but much easier to handle on the camera. In this way you can make simple lens shades for all of your lenses. :)

There is a way how to make this lens shade even much more effective than whatever compendium can dream about but that would be yet a different chapter...

Dietrich Floeter
4-Oct-2011, 17:55
Nice descriptive photo Richard and good lightweight idea from GPS. My Lee shade appeared and hopefully that will work for me.

GPS
5-Oct-2011, 04:08
Nice descriptive photo Richard and good lightweight idea from GPS. My Lee shade appeared and hopefully that will work for me.

No wonder you prefer your Lee shade - still the best lens shade on market. I was at the beginning of its appearance...:) Nevertheless, an amateur with optical knowledge and mathematical calculations can still make a lens shade many times photographically much more efficient than whatever Lee lens shade there is. Yet another example where home made can excel.