PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Question (Can I ask it in this forum)

false_Aesthetic
3-Oct-2011, 14:04
Hey Mods, move this if you need to.

It's time to invest in a new monitor.

Every place I've worked I've had the luxury of using a pretty decent monitor. Unfortunately, I'm not able to afford an Eizo. Even a LaCie 325 is a little out of my price range.

Apple's monitors are nice but I'm not so sure I want to buy a monitor that doesn't have built-in color control.

I'd like to keep it around 21" and in the $400-$600 range. I use OSX and have access to an I1.

What are you all using?

Thanks

adam satushek
3-Oct-2011, 17:38
Id recommend NEC. Word has it Lacie's are repackaged NEC's, but I'm sure someone can chime in on the validity of this. Anyway, I have the 2690 WUXI2, 26 in. NEC. I think its discontinued now, but they have lots of other options. Its a nice monitor and cheaper than equivalent ones from Eizo or Lacie. I have eyeone2 calibrator and it works great with NEC's Spectraview calibration software.
Hope that helps!

pherold
4-Oct-2011, 09:46
Whichever monitor you get, you're going to have to have a profiling colorimeter device and software in order to accurately view your images. Since you're getting this anyway, it does not matter that much whether your monitor has on-board color adjustments. When you profile your monitor, the software will bring the color around to where it should be by writing the corrections to your graphics card. You would need a brightness adjustment - which an Apple would have. I'm not saying you should get an Apple, but at least you can keep your options open.

If you can't afford a LaCie or an Eizo, then you probably can't afford an NEC. They are a little less expensive than Eizos. I have found very good deals on the Eizo discontinued or refurbished page of their website.

Brian Ellis
4-Oct-2011, 13:08
You might consider an NEC P221W. It's 22 inches and within your price range (IIRC I paid about $500 with the on-board SpectraView software but without the colorimeter since I already had a compatible colorimeter). I've been using mine for a couple years and it's worked very well for me. SpectraView is excellent, my prints match what I see on the screen about as closely as possible given the different light sources.

IIRC either LaCies or Eizos are relabelled Samsungs.

Preston
4-Oct-2011, 16:26
You might consider an NEC P221W

I have this monitor, as well. I also use the SpectraView-2 software and the NEC-branded Eye1 colorimeter. It's a great system.

--P

false_Aesthetic
7-Oct-2011, 16:51
Thanks guys, I'm looking into em.

T

georgl
9-Oct-2011, 05:35
The Eizo EV2333W is not up the standard of the ColorGraphic-Series, but it's still an Eizo and has PVA-panel and the price (at least in Germany) is similar to NECs or LaCies or Dell put together by some chinese OEM...
I would always prefer the Eizo, as long as they don't lower their quality standards.