PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Inglis Unsharp

SeanEsopenko
3-Oct-2011, 07:23
I'm going to acquire a pin registration device pretty soon. I have some questions about the following:

http://www.alistairinglis.com/unsharp_prices_us.htm

I'm going to get the 3 pin registration device because I shoot 6x7 along with 4x5. I see that there's a "hinged glass anti-newton cover" available and also an easel. What's the use of the easel? If I have the ANR cover for the registration device can I contact print the masks using the device?

I'm assuming the easel is for people who don't want to purchase the mask and just make contact prints with manual registration on a light table. Am I correct?

jeroldharter
3-Oct-2011, 08:29
I agree that the website is confusing.

What enlarger are you using?

You should consider a Radeka kit. I have them for 4x5 and 8x10. The registration is spot on. The anti-Newton glass carrier functions as an easel for making masks. It slides like a cassette into a cartridge device that stays in the enlarger so you can make multiple exposures with different masks and maintain registration.

I think the Inglis is geared more toward contact printing, but is am not sure.

SeanEsopenko
3-Oct-2011, 09:55
I agree that the website is confusing.

What enlarger are you using?

You should consider a Radeka kit. I have them for 4x5 and 8x10. The registration is spot on. The anti-Newton glass carrier functions as an easel for making masks. It slides like a cassette into a cartridge device that stays in the enlarger so you can make multiple exposures with different masks and maintain registration.

I think the Inglis is geared more toward contact printing, but is am not sure.

Hmm $500 for a "complete kit" including a solution for registration for the printing process sounds appealing. Thanks for the info, I'm reading into it more.

SeanEsopenko
3-Oct-2011, 10:24
Just pulled the trigger and ordered it. The fact that it included the registered carrier device and didn't punch the negative was appealing. I'm guessing it'll be a couple weeks until I receive it but I can't wait!

Oh where do I get orthographic film? Preferably a place in the US or Canada (I'm in Canada)

update: never mind, found it here http://www.freestylephoto.biz/12545-Adox-ORT25-Orthochromatic-4x5-25-sheets?cat_id=404

jeroldharter
3-Oct-2011, 13:27
That was quick on the trigger. You just want to make sure that the "cassette" piece fits in the negative carrier of your enlarger. I leave mine in there and seal it up with black masking tape to make sure there are no light leaks.

His workshops are very worthwhile. I am still in the process of getting off the ground with masking. In the meantime of course, Freestyle discontinued their Arista ortho film which was economical. I have a large supply on hand though. The Adox stuff you bought is much more expensive, not so bad for 4x5 but multiply by 4-5x for 8x10 for which I prefer 10x12 masking film.

I picked up some of this too, which I have not tested but you might want to check it out to compare with the Adox:

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ulcotodufi.html

SeanEsopenko
3-Oct-2011, 14:22
That was quick on the trigger. You just want to make sure that the "cassette" piece fits in the negative carrier of your enlarger. I leave mine in there and seal it up with black masking tape to make sure there are no light leaks.

His workshops are very worthwhile. I am still in the process of getting off the ground with masking. In the meantime of course, Freestyle discontinued their Arista ortho film which was economical. I have a large supply on hand though. The Adox stuff you bought is much more expensive, not so bad for 4x5 but multiply by 4-5x for 8x10 for which I prefer 10x12 masking film.

I picked up some of this too, which I have not tested but you might want to check it out to compare with the Adox:

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ulcotodufi.html

I haven't bought the Adox stuff yet because it's quicker to ship than the registration device so I can put that off till later. I was quick at purchasing the calibration device due to a grant I've applied for and the formalities of its requirements. I would have bought it a while ago but they won't reimburse me for anything purchased before the project start date. I had to get the ball rolling on the acquisition of a registration device early into the project. The start date was the 1st of this month. Next weekend I start shooting.

Twenty editions of 5 prints each to be done before march of 2012, one print from each edition framed. Big job to do with only evenings and weekends available. Feels like the final semester of undergrad all over again :D.