PDA

View Full Version : Meopta Magnola - need advice for missing part of hinge

Diver2
2-Oct-2011, 07:38
Hi there :)
I'm new in this forum - and in LF photography....
I recently got hold on an Meopta Magnola and did a few shots for testing - got to work a lot on calculating exposure..;)
There seem to miss a part of the camera though. The shade that covers the ground glass should be hinged - but the part that should hold the shade is missing.
I've come around til now whith some tape, but its not working very well :o
Anyone got a picture of the camera back where the part is???
I migth be able to mashine something if I know how it looks like....

With kind regards,
Carsten = newbie :)

TheDeardorffGuy
2-Oct-2011, 16:22
Try contacting them http://www.meopta.cz/ meopta@meopta.com

Diver2
3-Oct-2011, 09:37
Hi Ken :)
Thanks for the response! :)
I have contacted Meopta but no reply yet - probably just a question of time :)

Jimi
3-Oct-2011, 10:53
I looked around a bit but I only found this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39342599@N00/115779477/in/photostream/

I suppose it doesn't help much, though.

Diver2
3-Oct-2011, 11:12
Thanks Jimi :)
It looks pretty much like my solution at present - double addhesive tape :)
It's not pretty, but it works :)

Jimi
3-Oct-2011, 11:47
Ah, missed that there was tape on this one too. :) Maybe you could make something out of a smallish piano hinge, screwed into the shade and the groundglass part?

Diver2
3-Oct-2011, 11:55
I'm considering something like that - but it sure would helt if I knew how the "missing link" looks like :)
Have done some heavy googling for pictures where the part is visible, but no succes :(
I have a czech girlfriend and she has tried to contact Meopta - hope they can provide pictures or drawings...
(Not hoping for parts - the camera is OLD and hard to find :( )

Jimi
3-Oct-2011, 11:59
By the way, does your camera take "normal" film holders? What format size is it? Looks like a nice (if probably a bit heavy?) camera from the photos.

Diver2
3-Oct-2011, 12:52
No idea what normal is - this is my entry to LF photography :)
The format is 13x18 and I use the 5 film holders that came with set - in a very praktical leather case where everything is stuffed nice and secure :)
The whole thing is HEAVY to put it mild! The tripod adds extra weight too.
So having only 5 film holders makes me think a lot more of what to shoot and I'm trying to figure out lighting and all the basics for getting some good shots in the box :)
I'm trying to find a way to enlarge the negativs, but til then contact prints will do fine :)

E. von Hoegh
3-Oct-2011, 12:58
I'm trying to find a way to enlarge the negativs, but til then contact prints will do fine :)

There's nothing "normal" about large format photography.;)

A perfect opportunity to rationalise acquiring 8"x10" / 18x24cm

notorius
18-Dec-2011, 11:07
The format is 13x18 and I use the 5 film holders that came with set - in a very praktical leather case where everything is stuffed nice and secure :)
The whole thing is HEAVY to put it mild! The tripod adds extra weight too.
So having only 5 film holders makes me think a lot more of what to shoot and I'm trying to figure out lighting and all the basics for getting some good shots in the box :)
Hi,
I own Magnola too, with set of original holders, and 13x18,10x15,9x12 inserts. Both of lenses manufactured for Magnola = Belar 210/4.5(Tessar design) in Compound and Largor 135/6.8 in Prontor and original super heavy case. :-) But the case can be use as solid support in some occasions, easily holds 80kgs person with no problems. :-) Magnola itself is copy(somehow updated) of prewar Linhof Medizin. Even holders are compatible, so You can acquire them from Ebay "rather easily", instead of original holders, which are very difficult to get even here in Czech Rep.
Unfortunately there is nothing, what should suport the shade, this is weak spot of the design for sure. I do not know, why they did not inspire by designs used long ago in e.g Zeiss Ikon Ideal and similar... One solution is to rotate whole back to move the heavier part downwards. Or not to use this shade. Open it (like a door) and use darkcloath as with normal LF camera.

Paul Fitzgerald
18-Dec-2011, 13:44
"There seem to miss a part of the camera though. The shade that covers the ground glass should be hinged - but the part that should hold the shade is missing."

Do you mean the slide that holds it closed?
It does not look like there is something to hold it open, just gravity.