PDA

View Full Version : Best Tripod Head for a Linhof Bi

Frank Petronio
1-Oct-2011, 16:41
Don't ask, don't tell... but it looks like I bought that 5x7 Linhof Bi monorail. I know I can use any decent tripod head with it but, since it uses a rail clamp and round rail design like the Sinar Norma, I think it can rotate in Yaw.... So I would only need a Pan and Tilt type head... like the Sinar Pan-Tilt head of course.

But I know Linhof made a few pan-tilt heads of their own in the same era as the 1960s Bi, and ideally I would like to find something of the same vintage. I saw one illustration that showed the entire bottom of the camera's rail clamp dropped into a "base" clamping receptacle - this looks very solid. Does anyone know what this was called and how well it works in practice? It looks like it has Nylon lining it to protect the finish of the rail clamp?

Here is a photo of the head I am talking about. Anyone ever use one? Pros and Cons?

Is it more suited to a heavier tripod? The twin shank shown looks a bit on the thin side for the size of the head. Would it be OK on a Gitzo #3 or is it more on the #5 size-wise?

Finally, I like everything about vintage Linhofs but what were they thinking painting everything tan, beige, and brown? It doesn't age well and I feel like I'm in an Alan Alda movie.

William Whitaker
1-Oct-2011, 17:12
That's the Kardan Pan/Tilt Mount. It came in two sizes: version I has a 77mm fitting, version II has a 90mm fitting. I suspect that your Bi would require the 77mm version. They are very robust heads and lock down solidly. They are to Linhof as the Sinar head is to Sinar - purpose-built for their respective cameras. The base of the head, as you noted, drops into the receiver and is clamped in place. It's very secure.

The tripod you have shown is, I believe, the "Expert" Twin Shank Profile tripod. My catalog (prob late '60's vintage) suggests it for monorail cameras up to 4x5. If Linhof build means anything, though, it would probably work OK for a 5x7 Bi. But Linhof tripods are not difficult to find on the used market, so you can be a little picky.

I have the Kardan Pan/Tilt Mount II on the heavy-duty twin-shank tripod with geared centerpost. It gets to support the 8x10 Norma. I have the Sinar head, too, but chose to use the Linhof (heresy, I know!). It's massive and solid, but a total pleasure to use. Needless to say, this stuff isn't for traveling and stays put at home. Ironically, it all folds up very easily and can be moved whereas a studio stand is another story.

Frank Petronio
1-Oct-2011, 17:19
Wow I love the Sinar pan-tilt with a Sinar so that says a lot!

Steve Hamley
1-Oct-2011, 17:58
Everything Will said. I have the II version also, and it will hold a 35-pound 14x17 Wisner rock steady. The center column will lift it without effort.

I think your head will be fine, and probably the tripod too, but you might pick up a heavier Linhof leg set if you run across one. Maybe the 3-way leveling head might be a good choice?

If you're interested in one this heavy, I may have a line on another. Oh, and they're still made, as are many of the Linhof leg sets, and in black if you don't like the tan.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31648-REG/Linhof_003323_Heavy_Duty_Pro_Tripod.html

You won't like the price though, and that's without the lift column (another $1K) and head.

jpeg attached. That's a meter stick leaning up against it.

Cheers, Steve

Frank Petronio
1-Oct-2011, 18:15
Thanks. I have this Linhof head right now, and while it is perfect for a 4x5 field camera, I fear it will be on the light side for a 5x7 monorail. Maybe I will just watch for a nice vintage twin-shank and head to pop up on the bay.

The only thing that strikes me as fragile is that long guide piece for the tilt mechanism - it sticks out and looks like it could get bent just laying the tripod down, much less tossing into the back of the car....

Steve Hamley
1-Oct-2011, 18:23
Frank,

You'd have to abuse it to get it to bend. On the II version, those are about 1/4" steel struts. I don't have the smaller version, but I imagine they're fairly sturdy too.

Oh, and I admire your taste in red bellows!

Cheers, Steve

Frank Petronio
1-Oct-2011, 18:33
That camera is on eBay from the guy who bought it from me. In hindsight they were a little loud for me, especially once the camera got covered in black. Live and learn....

Oren Grad
1-Oct-2011, 18:39
That camera is on eBay from the guy who bought it from me. In hingsight they were a little loud for me, especially once the camera got covered in black.

Just found the listing and took a peek. The camera is beautifully color-coordinated with the instruction manual!

Frank Petronio
1-Oct-2011, 19:03
Yeah the bellows works OK but I'd go with a Linhof OEM next time around.

William Whitaker
1-Oct-2011, 20:26
The base of the head, as you noted, drops into the receiver and is clamped in place.

That should read, "The base of the tripod clamp..."

Wow I love the Sinar pan-tilt with a Sinar so that says a lot!

Well, I do have the Sinar head and agree it's very nice. It fits well on top of my Gitzo if I want something that's portable. But inside in a studio-type setting, the Linhof is very nice to work with.

Frank Petronio
1-Oct-2011, 21:57
Does the Sinar Pan-Tilt match up with the Linhof rail clamp well? Are their diameters similar? I agree they are a nice compact, rugged head for travel, etc.

Bob Salomon
2-Oct-2011, 01:41
"The only thing that strikes me as fragile is that long guide piece for the tilt mechanism - it sticks out and looks like it could get bent just laying the tripod down, much less tossing into the back of the car.."

There is nothing fragile about it. I have never seen or heard about one bending. But then anything is possible and I have only been the Linhof Product Manager since 1979 so I may have missed a complaint from before then.