PDA

View Full Version : DeVere 8x10 or 4x5? Need advice

tautatis
30-Sep-2011, 19:18
Nex week I will have an opportunity to buy either an 8x10 or a 4x5 DeVere enlarger. I do not own an 8x10 camera yet, but I do have a 5x7 and 4x5. I have never used any of the two enlargers and do not know their quirks. I hope you guys would be able to advise me as to which one will be best to own given my two cameras that I currently own.

Thanks,

Tautatis.

jeroldharter
30-Sep-2011, 19:41
I don't have DeVere's but they are high quality. If the price is reasonable as it should be, buy both.

8x10 enlargers with a good light source are uncommon or so large as to be un-shippable nowadays. You can use it for your 5x7 which will tempt you to try 8x10!

Fred L
30-Sep-2011, 19:42
Well you're going to need a fair bit of headroom for the 8x10 but if you work in 5x7, then that should settle it for you. Obviously it's a big beast but imagine making enlarged 4x5 contacts 4 up ? Also, 8x10 Devere's would be harder to come by as well whereas 4x5's would be a *bit* easier.

They both operate the same really and I don't notice much workflow difference tbh. Is there a significant price diff ?

Peter De Smidt
30-Sep-2011, 19:52
We're talking vertical floor standers? Both are on the same column and stand. Obviously the 8x10 head is much bigger. If you have the room, get the 8x10, since it would be nice to be able to enlarger your 5x7s; or as Jerold says, both. I have one of the 4x5s, and I used to have an 8x10 horizontal. They are outstanding enlargers.

ic-racer
30-Sep-2011, 19:54
It is always nice to have an enlarger one-size bigger. Especially if you print full frame 5x7.

Len Middleton
30-Sep-2011, 19:54
Tautatis,

You have not indicated what other formats you use. The 8x10 enlarger would handle the 5x7 and of course 8x10 should you go that route. But if you use a lot of the smaller formats (35mm, 120), as well as 4x5, then the 4x5 would be a better bet.

Sounds like both might not be a bad idea, it you can manage the money and space.

Good luck on your decision,

Len

Philippe Grunchec
1-Oct-2011, 03:04
I have both: I use the 504 for small and medium format, the 5108 for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. Excellent machines!
ic-racer is right, it is always better to have an enlarger one-size bigger... and also a lens (using 80mm with small format for example).

evan clarke
1-Oct-2011, 08:24
I don't have DeVere's but they are high quality. If the price is reasonable as it should be, buy both.

8x10 enlargers with a good light source are uncommon or so large as to be un-shippable nowadays. You can use it for your 5x7 which will tempt you to try 8x10!

I have a 4x5 and 8x10 DeVere and as Jaimie said, you can enlarge your 5x7 in the 8x10. KHB sells a bench mount kit which installs on the 8x10 and allows a shorter column..that's what I did with mine, threw the bottom table away..EC

tautatis
9-Oct-2011, 15:35
What a joy printing on a DeVere! After careful considerarations, I made a decision to buy the Devere 4X5 enlarger. I would have loved to have an 8X10, unfortunately, lack of space (& height of my basement) was a big factor and also the pocket, given the times we live in! I bought the enlarger from a lab that has gone completely digital. I got a good number of enlarging lenses - a pitance in the grand scheme of things. It came with an El-Nikkor f5.6 150mm brand new in its container, a 150mm f5.6 Rodagon, an El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6, and a componon-s - 150mm. I also got a number of lens holders. The enlarger came with two film holders each with inserts for 35mm, 120mm (2 1/2x 2 1/2), 6x7, and 4x5 and a set of glass for both. DeVere power source and timer, and two extra sets of mixing chamber/light boxes for the head for 35 mm & 120mm and many other darkroom goodies.

Last evening I was prining until 3:00 AM. It seems to me it was easier working with the DeVere than my Omega DXL 4X5. I plan to sell my omega soon. If you are in MD, VA or DC PM me. We can work out something.

Thx,

Tautatis,

ic-racer
9-Oct-2011, 17:17
I'm curious, what makes the DeVere easier to work with than the Omega?

dap
9-Oct-2011, 17:48

The front hand wheels on the devere are the cat's @$$ - it is a real treat not to have to reach for the controls when making big enlargements. The alignment points on the Devere chassis are superior to the Omega and for me it tends to stay in alignment longer. The build is a bit better as well - more solid, less vibration (mounting the top of the omega to a wall will make that a moot point). That being said, the Omega is a very nice enlarger and can do anything the DeVere can. I replaced my Omega D5 with a DeVere and have had no regrets (other than a general shortage of replacement parts in the US).

tautatis
9-Oct-2011, 19:39
I have owned the Omega DXL for over 10 years. The first thing that to me felt easier was the Thick negative carrier the Devere has. It shuts securely and kept the negative in place with or without the glass. The focusing mechanism is excellent - I do not need to raise my arm high to "crank" the Omega focusing arm. - just moderate turns either up the housing or down the lens. the dichronic head helps printing otherwise challenging negs for Omega. In short these reasons made printing easier with this machine for me. However, the DeVere is a bit noisy!

Tautatis.

Kevin M Bourque
10-Oct-2011, 04:35
I've had a DeVere 504 for a number of years now. It's a real joy to work with. You can take a negative out of the holder, clean it, put it back in and its still exactly in focus. I just don't worry about mechanics any more. I use the glass carrier.

Don't know about the 8x10 but I'm guessing you're going to need some serious head room. That may be your limiting factor. Also, I see lots more 4x5 accessories for sale than 8x10 (negative carriers and lens panels).

bob carnie
10-Oct-2011, 07:57
The focusing for one is spectacular, the two handles at baseboard is wonderful.
Very solid, great drop table , just a well built machine.
I have an 11 x14 that is as easy to operate as my 4x5 Omegas,
My only bitch with the 11x14 Devere is the negative stage, very poorly designed compared to the Italian Dursts.

IanG
10-Oct-2011, 14:40
The focusing for one is spectacular, the two handles at baseboard is wonderful.
Very solid, great drop table , just a well built machine.
I have an 11 x14 that is as easy to operate as my 4x5 Omegas,
My only bitch with the 11x14 Devere is the negative stage, very poorly designed compared to the Italian Dursts.

Have to agree with Bob

I've had and used De Vere Enlargers since the mid 1970's and nothing gets close in terms of build quality and usability except Durst enlargers. and I've used plenty of other makes.

I'd echo Bob in saying a weak point is the neg carriers, the Durst ones are well made and great to use, the De Vere ones are functional though :D I've been used to them for years and they are easy enoughg, just not as easy . . . . . :d

Ian

Luis-F-S
18-Jun-2024, 10:19
[QUOTEDon't know about the 8x10 but I'm guessing you're going to need some serious head room.[/QUOTE]

The 5108 uses the same column as the 4x5 and 5x7 so no more head room is required. My darkroom has 92” to the ceiling and the 5108 fits fine. The heat doesn’t go all the way up but since the cable drops who cares