PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Considering Bankruptcy/Stock Crashing

r.e.
30-Sep-2011, 12:16
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-30/kodak-said-to-weigh-bankruptcy-filing.html

Stock down 55% at the moment.

Daniel Stone
30-Sep-2011, 12:21
stock up while you can on your favorite Kodak products, things might get bumpy :o

-Dan

r.e.
30-Sep-2011, 12:24
Stock currently 74 cents, was as low as 54 cents, from an open of $1.65.

David R Munson
2-Oct-2011, 03:26
Well ****. Good thing I really like Acros? :(

jdimichele
2-Oct-2011, 08:32
Morning,

Yeah that doesn't sound good. Luckily for me I'm a Fuji Astia/Provia shooter. As we all know it's not a good thing when there's no real market competition. Hopefully all works out in the end.

Ivan J. Eberle
2-Oct-2011, 15:12
I am offering one New Old Stock roll of Kodachrome 200 (36 exposures) in trade for 15 shares of the now beat-up common Kodak stock:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=785107#post785107

Offer good until I change my mind, or sometime shortly after the markets open tomorrow morning.

Drew Wiley
2-Oct-2011, 17:22
Well, it's certainly not a Polaroid scenario in the sense that newer technology has
outright killed off a viable film market. There's still plenty of demand for even color
sheet film if the co was based on simple profit margin vs cost of mfg and infrastructure. That's the old-fashioned way, and one distinct reason why, as a professional buyer, I only deal with privately-held mfg corporations whenever possible. Wall St, on the other hand demands a lot of keeping up appearances and
instant gratification which in the long run might become an Achilles heel. This is
certainly one of those instances. My biggest hope is that film will become a sufficiently independent division to carry its own books and not get bounced around
by all the extraneous speculation and smoke-and-mirrors "market share" nonsense
that MBA's routinely inhale without thinking. My worst fear is that a domino effect
will ensue which collapses even more processing facilities into a downward spiral.
Time will tell. But I don't personally regard Fuji's tranny and neg film as suitable
replacements. But then, I could print color until I croak using my already existing
shots. Crystal Archive paper is used by digital laser printing devices as well as in
the dkrm, so is not likely to become extinct any time soon, and even Ciba seems to
be hanging on. Or maybe I'll just convert to black-and-white full time. Gotta take the
punches as they come. You can only freeze so much film, and like my roll of 120
Kodachrome, it ain't no good if you can't process it.

Brian C. Miller
3-Oct-2011, 07:51
Reuters: Kodak shares rise after bankruptcy denial (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/03/us-eastmankodak-shares-idUSTRE7922PE20111003)

"Dead cat" bounce? Or hopeful investors jumping in for a quick bargain?

Greg Blank
3-Oct-2011, 09:31
If I was more of an investor and less a photographer I might be tempted to buy stock. Or a lot more film, I just scored ten boxes of Ektar 4x5 for the photographer in me. Realistically I do not shoot lots of color but it will be nice to have it & 100 sheets will last me at least several years. I can get the film for the time being and resell it for 25.00 making a small profit. Unfortunately I can not compete with places like B&H because they buy it from Kodak direct. As long as I can buy film for a bit less than B&H's price I am happy :)

Greg Blank
3-Oct-2011, 09:34
Hehe and where does one get that processed....then again who wll buy the stock if the Great Yellow Father goes belly Up....seems like a even trade ;)

I am offering one New Old Stock roll of Kodachrome 200 (36 exposures) in trade for 15 shares of the now beat-up common Kodak stock:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=785107#post785107

Offer good until I change my mind, or sometime shortly after the markets open tomorrow morning.

Ivan J. Eberle
3-Oct-2011, 17:57
Well, the way I'm spinning it is that the Kodachrome can be always be processed at some later date as B&W film. And at Kodak's present rate of burn, the Kodachrome might be anticipated to have a longer future in imaging.