PDA

View Full Version : Belerbach with ball/socket head

rich caramadre
30-Sep-2011, 07:22
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using a Belerbach tripod with the ball/socket only. No head. I'd be using it with a deardorff 8x10.
Thanks, Rich

jeroldharter
30-Sep-2011, 07:38
I used to have that tripod.

You could do it with some limitations/nuisances.

The limitation is that the amount of movement of the ball joint is very limited relative to a tripod head. So it would limit things like indirect rise/fall.

The nuisance is that you would have to spin around a huge, heavy camera on the screw every time you put the camera on/off. You increase the risk of dropping the camera or at least swearing a lot. I considered adding a quick release plate to the tripod but the cost/benefit equation did not add up for me.

In the end, I bought a Feisol CF tripod with a Gitzo pan/tilt head which is lighter and more versatile than the Berlebach with just the ball joint.

The Berlebach is a nice tripod though.

LaurentB
30-Sep-2011, 07:44
I'm using it and quite happy, but it's easier with a quick release (which I did use) or a pan "head" (which I now use, very simple device from Manfrotto, which allows only rotation of the camera).

That way. I can first level the tripod's platform and then put the camera on it.

rich caramadre
30-Sep-2011, 07:51
I was wondering how you would attach the camera. I was hoping it would have a finger screw from beneath, similar to a reis head. Oh well. I was also looking at the freisol tripods. They seem like a good compromise of weight, rigidity and price. Are you using with 8x10? If o which model?

Michael Graves
30-Sep-2011, 08:44
Jerold's point is well taken. I have three berlebachs and I won't give up any of them. I love the tripods. But trying to use the built-in ball head by itself lasted about a week. It is NOT easy to mount the camera directly on the head. I added a Photo Clam Pro Gold head to each of the smaller ones and haven't looked back. The larger tripod hosts a Gitzo Rationale 3 with a Cambo QR. These are great combinations.

Bob Salomon
30-Sep-2011, 09:32
Perhaps some correct terminology will help. No Berlebach tripod has a built in ball head. Some have a built-in levelling ball that allows about 15° of tilt in all directions and some have a leveling center column with the same feature. This feature is not designed to replace a tripod head. It is an aid to level the camera when on uneven ground. Although many people do use it when they need to minimize weight and only limited movements are required.
Most Berlebach tripods are equipped with a 1/4" screw that will mount to almost any quick release or ball/pan/leveling tripod head. On special request Berlebach will supply the tripod with a 3/8" screw but we get hardly any requests for that.

There are two different series of Berlebach tripods available from the factory. The lightweight Report series which is the most commonly used one and the much heavier UNI series. Both are available in models with and without the leveling ball feature. But a leveling column is not available for the UNI series.

So the first thing you need to know is which tripod from Berlebach you are interested in, Report or UNI series and which tripod the responder has that is answering you.

rich caramadre
30-Sep-2011, 16:31
Bob, good point about the screw size. So lets forget the leveling ball idea. How about the Belerbach Repot 9013. It says it is rated for 17.6 lbs. Is that going to be sufficiant for my deardorff 8x10 with a 450mm lens? I am using a Gitzo No3 head. Big platform.

jeroldharter
30-Sep-2011, 17:28
I use my Feisol tripod with a Wehman 8x10, longest lens 600 mm.

Some argue that the weight savings and expense of a CF tripod for 8x10 using a heavy camera, heavy lens, and carrying film holders is a pointless exercise. But a tripod is the most awkward and uncomfortable thing I carry, so light is good.

If you like the aesthetics of wood, Berlebach is great and reasonably lightweight. I preferred it to an aluminum tripod by far. The leveling ball is a nice convenience. Wood is relatively kind to your hands in cold weather.

I had one that I think was ash with a clear finish. I have seen pictures of them stained black and I think a shade of green which I liked. Maybe a darker stain as well.

Berlebach was reasonably priced when I bought it. I have seen there pan tilt heads online but they look relatively crude and extremely expensive.

cdholden
30-Sep-2011, 18:45
I use my Feisol tripod with a Wehman 8x10, longest lens 600 mm.

Some argue that the weight savings and expense of a CF tripod for 8x10 using a heavy camera, heavy lens, and carrying film holders is a pointless exercise. But a tripod is the most awkward and uncomfortable thing I carry, so light is good.

If you like the aesthetics of wood, Berlebach is great and reasonably lightweight. I preferred it to an aluminum tripod by far. The leveling ball is a nice convenience. Wood is relatively kind to your hands in cold weather.

I had one that I think was ash with a clear finish. I have seen pictures of them stained black and I think a shade of green which I liked. Maybe a darker stain as well.

Berlebach was reasonably priced when I bought it. I have seen there pan tilt heads online but they look relatively crude and extremely expensive.

Jerold,
How well sealed was the Berlebach against water? Did you ever put it in standing water (rivers, lakes, ocean ,etc)? I'm considering replacing my current CF tripod for something larger. Maybe another CF, maybe aluminum. I've never used wood, and wouldn't unless it was sealed pretty well.
Thanks,
Chris

jeroldharter
30-Sep-2011, 19:35
Jerold,
How well sealed was the Berlebach against water? Did you ever put it in standing water (rivers, lakes, ocean ,etc)? I'm considering replacing my current CF tripod for something larger. Maybe another CF, maybe aluminum. I've never used wood, and wouldn't unless it was sealed pretty well.
Thanks,
Chris

I thought the finish was good, but not like fine furniture. I used it in rain, but not in water. I think it would be ok though. If I did a lot of that, I would do a fine sanding on the lower legs and apply a sealant just to be careful. I bought mine several years ago and have since sold it.

john biskupski
1-Oct-2011, 01:22
For Deardorff 8x10 you would need a tripod from Belebach's beefier Uni range (like Ries A100 series), they have a wider top plate too, and which would match a big ball-head you would need with that camera.

I mount my Rittreck metal 5x7 on a lighter Report 2032 (ie no centre column), with a 60mm top plate. The tripod weighs 2.9 kls, and is rated up to 15 kls load factor. I have the levelling ball, it needs a lot of tightening to block the camera, and I wouldn't fancy a heavy 8x10 on it, maybe a Canham.

I wish I had got the 2032P with rotating panoramic plate, but you can still pan the camera without loosening the ball lock a la Ries, ie slightly unscrew the central tripod screw underneath while turning the camera. It's a fine tripod, made of ash so should resist water well.

In my view it sits between the Ries J100 and J-100/2 for sturdiness. Same ease of use 2-section sliding legs. For many uses the levelling ball is fine. However for ease of mounting the camera to the tripod I got a Berlebach quick release system, their plates can mount a mix of 1/4 and 3/8 screws (which Arca Swiss don't have).

Bob Salomon
1-Oct-2011, 04:40
"I got a Berlebach quick release system, their plates can mount a mix of 1/4 and 3/8 screws (which Arca Swiss don't have)."
Novoflex, Giottos and Berlebach Arca compatible plates are all available with both 1/4 and 3/8" thread screws and many of the Novoflex and Giottos plates are supplied with both screws.

Tim Povlick
1-Oct-2011, 10:27
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using a Belerbach tripod with the ball/socket only. No head. I'd be using it with a deardorff 8x10.
Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich,

I have used the 1032 for several years with Canham Traditional 8x10. Solid tripod and it resists any rotational torque. I use the built in ball head, for landscape it's all that I need. This way the camera is close to the tripod. The 1/4" screw is more than adequate and has a knob under the ball head for tightening. I twist the camera an 1/8 of a turn and it's solid to the base.

Using a heavy (1.85 Kilo / 4 lbs) 480mm lens is not an issue. In fact with this tripod one can easily setup a monopod to tie the front of the camera to the tripod to prevent any 'teeter toter" motion.

Not sure about dunking it in the water. Suggest a good coating of wax before doing this. The joint where the feet and wood come together would have to be sealed. I think that would be the main concern, water penetration in the wood where it joins the metal and can't properly dry out.

_ .. --
Tim

lbenac
1-Oct-2011, 13:55
I have used the 1032 for several years with Canham Traditional 8x10. Solid tripod and it resists any rotational torque. I use the built in ball head, for landscape it's all that I need. This way the camera is close to the tripod. The 1/4" screw is more than adequate and has a knob under the ball head for tightening. I twist the camera an 1/8 of a turn and it's solid to the base.

Same good experience here with a 2032 and 4x5. The only think I would do differently is purchasing the 3032 instead of the 2032. I am 6' and the tripod is too short. It is however perfect for a waist level finder on my Hasselblad.

Cheers,

Luc

Barry Kirsten
1-Oct-2011, 14:29
I recently bought a 2042 for my Kardan JBL. It has two-section legs, a 50 cm centre column and built-in leveling ball which gives 30 degree movement in all directions. I also bought the 57 mm quick-release coupling to make it more user-friendly.

So far I haven't found it limiting in landscape work, but can imagine some situations where not having a three-way head would be a problem. I'll see how it works out over time before parting with another 500 hard-earned bucks. On the matter of height, I'm also 6' and find it plenty big enough with the column fully extended, which would not often be required. I also bought a 10 cm centre column to allow working closer to the ground. So far I think it's a very satisfactory tripod, beautifully made, and I'm looking forward to giving it more work.

Barry.

ki6mf
1-Oct-2011, 16:15
still use one and went to a 3 way over the ball head as its easier to level the camera than a ball head.

john biskupski
2-Oct-2011, 14:00
Many three-way heads are top heavy on a Berlebach Report tripod (even on the 2032 or 2042 which have among the best load rating). The tripod top plate diameter is only 60mm, whereas even Berlebach's (strong and heavy) 3 way head is 90mm diameter to match their Uni range tripods. The Linhoff 3663 3-way head is a better fit, lighter and with only a 75mm diameter. It also has the easy to use clamp-in quick release system. The best ball heads for LF (say Arca Swiss and RRS amongst others) also have a wider diameter of c. 75mm, so they also overhang the Report tripod, but are not quite so top heavy on these tripods.

Two23
3-Oct-2011, 06:42
Jerold,
How well sealed was the Berlebach against water? Did you ever put it in standing water (rivers, lakes, ocean ,etc)?

I've used my Berlebach a few times in standing water. I just wiped it down well after using and applied a little oil to any bare metal. Main thing to watch out for is beavers.

Kent in SD

Bob Salomon
3-Oct-2011, 07:24
Berlebach special sale items:

http://hpmarketingstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=6sp24qr0akpjp163uh091eg7g6

jschaeff
3-Oct-2011, 15:13
Jerold,
How well sealed was the Berlebach against water? Did you ever put it in standing water (rivers, lakes, ocean ,etc)?
Chris

i have been owning a berlebach report 3032 for the last 3,5 years and altough i just recently (august 2010) have been getting into largeformat, i have been using the berlebach quite intensly over the time with a dslr with lenses from 10 to 600mm in for various occasions in various locations - including heavy snow, heavy rain, hard frost, lakes, sea, rivers, torrents. i am not to careful with handeling my tripods, since i regard them as tools. i stood in partly frozen rivers, while the air was well below zero degrees, i put it between rocks, used it as a support while climbing down, had it standing in lakes for hours.

but to the day my berlebach is as rugged as it was when i bought it. owning a sinar system, i now try to avoid using the collum, since it is not too vibrant-free, altough nice to compose (especially when the enviroment does not allow for completely liberated choice of place; e.g. in rivers, lakes, on rocks etc.)

pm me if you want further information (but since i do nottoo regularly check my computer, it can take some days).

regards,
jonathan

Drew Bedo
4-Oct-2011, 17:52
Works great for me when doing landscapes. I put my 8 x 10Kodak 2-D right on the center post mounting screw and shoot away.