PDA

View Full Version : Choosing ULF, how about R T Ritter fields ?

Miguel Coquis
30-Sep-2011, 01:05
I got contaminated with ULF virus and planning to go all the way....
I am very interested in R T Ritter concept.
..."they seem very good with an emphasis on being light in weight", as a was told to me by one of "experts" on our LFF forum, any advises welcome.
Thanks for you comments.
MAC

http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/Selection%20jpgs/DSCN0284.jpg
behind the Aliene

DJG
30-Sep-2011, 08:12
You can order a DVD owners manual of Ritter's ULF cameras here (http://www.circleofthesunproductions.com/ULFOwnersManual.htm).

I don't know if they have a region coding on them, so I don't know if they'd work in Europe or not. But it's an interesting DVD, and shows a lot of the functionality of his cameras.

I have the DVD, but don't have a Ritter ULF camera, so I can't comment further.

John Bowen
1-Oct-2011, 15:42
I have a Ritter 7x17 and just love it. The light weight allows me to use a Ries J-100 tripod and J-250 head. I enjoy the 7x17 so much that I also purchased a Ritter 8x10. I would second the suggestion to get the DVD.

If you decide to move forward please do yourself a favor and give Richard a call. Richard was VERY thorough in making my camera was the best fit for me. By that, I mean he asked me a bunch of questions including asking if I saw myself moving up on the ULF scale. When I mentioned I MIGHT be interested in 8x20, Richard suggested I consider purchasing an 8x20 camera with a 7x17 reducing back to keep the total cost down. Priceless advice!

Welcome to ULF!

Nathan Potter
1-Oct-2011, 16:03
I haven't used any of Richards equipment but I will say that it would be very valuable to have a live person behind the camera that you do buy. Besides most would concede that Richard is a master craftsman in the art of LF camera making with many years of experience and just a plain fine fellow.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

keeds
2-Oct-2011, 02:25
I also have a Ritter 7x17 and it is a fabulous piece of kit. Very versatile, rigid and extremely light. I was on the list for a 8x10 but time and family got in the way of that one...

Fred L
2-Oct-2011, 05:31
Before I got my Korona, I number crunched the feasibility of getting Richard's 7x17 (short rails) with a separate 8x10 rear standard and bellows that could be switched out when I didn't need the wide neg. It's something I would still get if I had a bit more money and wanted to cut down on weight.

jeroldharter
2-Oct-2011, 06:41
I am only up to 8x10 and use a Wehman, not a Ritter. But i have researched my options should I want to move up or get a new 8x10 and I would get a Ritter. Well made, well thought out, light weight, versatile, etc. I second the idea of buying the DVD which is informative even if you don't buy the camera.

Michael Kadillak
2-Oct-2011, 13:28
There is not a camera out there that does not create a love it or it does not work for me opinion. That tells me that the only way to determine if it is for you is to get behind it and make some negatives with it. Only then will you have the ability to use the controls, evaluate the weight and rigidity and see if it works for you.

I tried a Wehman and it just did not work for me. Ansel felt the same way about the Deardorf so it is a very personal thing.

JMB
2-Oct-2011, 13:46
[QUOTE=Miguel Coquis;783984][FONT="Courier New"]I got contaminated with ULF virus and planning to go all the way....
I am very interested in R T Ritter concept.
..."they seem very good with an emphasis on being light in weight", as a was told to me by one of "experts" on our LFF forum, any advises welcome.
Thanks for you comments.

I will bring a 20 x 24 to Berlin by the end of October. Just shoot me a note if you should be in town and would like to have a look at it.

Miguel Coquis
3-Oct-2011, 00:47
Glad to read all positive comments. One particular point that can raise questions is front standard dimensions.
Seems ok for "standard" modern lenses, but...
Any advises that can help, pro&cons ?
thanks all,
MAC

John Bowen
3-Oct-2011, 04:38
Glad to read all positive comments. One particular point that can raise questions is front standard dimensions.
thanks all,
MAC

My ULF kit lens kit consists of:
300 Symmar
305 G Claron
355 G Claron
360 Symmar
450 Fuji
450 Nikon (my most used LF and ULF lens)
19" Red dot Artar
600 Fuji

They are ALL mounted on 4x4 boards. My 1st field camera was a Zone VI (made in VT) 4x5 and my 1st 8x10 was a Wisner followed by a Zone VI 8x10. I already had adapter boards to mount the 4x4 boards on the Zone VI 8x10, so I asked Richard to make my 7x17 and 8x10 cameras so the front standard would take the same boards as the Zone VI 8x10. This kept me from having to purchase additional lens board adapters.

The front standard handles all of these lenses well. Granted, when the Monster 360 Symmar is raised to the top of the front standard you need to be sure EVERYTHING is locked down tightly :-)

A suggestion. Give Richard a call and ask him if he has any ULF owners located near you. I've yet to meet a Ritter owner who wouldn't gladly show off his camera to another photographer.

Miguel Coquis
26-Apr-2012, 18:36
thanks all,
MAC
..... coming back from my last exhibition (http://macoquis.caraldi.com/) and ulf workshops;
now I can say I am glad to work on the field with RR camera and really appreciate front standard size modification and the real generosity on camera movements !!!.
Takes some time, as many things do, to start enjoying it.
Nice job Richard !!!

John NYC
26-Apr-2012, 19:15
What size format did you end up going with Miguel? Love the image of the woman holding the Jesus(?) likeness, by the way. What lenses are you using?

Miguel Coquis
27-Apr-2012, 03:21
Thanks for your appreciation, John
RR 14x17"
CZJ 300 mm f:3,5
Pre Schneider 420 mm f:4,5 fast, clear light lens !!!

John NYC
27-Apr-2012, 08:47
Thanks for your appreciation, John
RR 14x17"
CZJ 300 mm f:3,5
Pre Schneider 420 mm f:4,5 fast, clear light lens !!!

Wow, great setup! And you obviously have the skills to make the most of it. Cheers!

rlee2010
27-Apr-2012, 20:31
I don't know if they'd work in Europe or not. But it's an interesting DVD, and shows a lot of the functionality of his cameras.http://www.dingsme.info/avatar4.jpg

Bengt Fredén
13-Aug-2012, 10:19
I have both Richard's DVDs and they work fine in Europe (PAL 50Hz system)! They are very informative - Richard shows how the camera is set up on a tripod, quick format back changes, and all of the camera movements. The second DVD shows some basic repair of LF cameras in the field.

I was particularly impressed with the use of hard plastic instead of glass in the big ground glasses/ focusing screens. Is there anyone with experience from a Ritter 11x14" with such a plastic ground glass, by the way? Do they flex a lot when a loupe is used or are they as rigid as glass?
regards,
Bengt in Stockholm, Sweden

RichardRitter
13-Aug-2012, 11:15
How much pressure are you wanting to put on the ground glass with the focusing loupe? At the point where the plastic or glass is going to flex the camera will be wanting to tip over.

Miguel Coquis
13-Aug-2012, 13:51
...elementary my dear Watson !!!

evan clarke
13-Aug-2012, 14:43
Not to go against the crowd, but I have been using a Chamonix 11x14 for almost two years now and just love it. I have made about 300 sheets with it and it is almost as easy to use as my 4x5 gear (all my smaller gear are Arcas)

Miguel Coquis
14-Aug-2012, 01:26
Not to go against the crowd, but I have been using a Chamonix 11x14 for almost two years now and just love it. I have made about 300 sheets with it and it is almost as easy to use as my 4x5 gear (all my smaller gear are Arcas)

just to keep near the question...with plastic GG ?

Bengt Fredén
11-Sep-2012, 19:59
Thanks for the reply, Richard!

Most reassuring. So, the plastic GG does not flex more than a glass one. And - it's unbreakable. Very nice on any field trip.

Best regards,
Bengt in Stockholm

Former Member 27732
12-Sep-2012, 04:22
One thing to be careful with.
When you fold the RR make sure the front standard doesn't contact the inside of the GG, otherwise you'll get clear spots appearing on the GG.

/Frank...

Miguel Coquis
7-Dec-2012, 14:37
How about Ritters after sale services ?
Have any body here has go through this already ?
Thanks for sharing impressions.

Former Member 27732
13-Dec-2012, 04:23
Yes, but you'll need to be patient.
Richard has made a couple of modifications to one of his 8x10 cameras I bought from him and the workmanship has been very good. But being on the opposite side of the planet, sending bits back & forth for repairs or mods inevitably means long periods of 8x10 withdrawal.

/Frank...

Miguel Coquis
22-Dec-2012, 04:15
Thanks for your comment Frank.
I am starting to think that there would be need more then only patience !
Will make a first essay feed back on this cameras if necessary.
Meanwhile, wish you all dear fellows/colleagues/friends a sweet start for the new year !

ljsegil
22-Dec-2012, 07:49
Perhaps want to think about Keith Canham's cameras?? Outstanding build and service, though heavier than the RR (don't know by how much).
LJS

thomasfallon
22-Dec-2012, 07:57
I am thinking about a Ritter camera. Very light 8x10 is about the same weight as an Ebony 4x5. Service is not too much of an issue for me as I can drive over to his place.

Riccis
22-Dec-2012, 09:24
Perhaps want to think about Keith Canham's cameras?? Outstanding build and service, though heavier than the RR (don't know by how much).
LJS

I am interested in this as well... Other than weight and price difference these gentlemen are two the best options for a new purchase, correct?

Cheers,

BILL3075
23-Dec-2012, 07:03
Yes. Plus Chamonix.

Re. ULF, Canham's standard bellows, I believe, is longer; but if you go with Ritter's, he can build the camera to accept longer bellows.

I am interested in this as well... Other than weight and price difference these gentlemen are two the best options for a new purchase, correct?

Cheers,

peter schrager
23-Dec-2012, 13:43
no comment on Chamonix but is the camera really going back to China?? they do not have a service center here in the states and I'm assuming it will be richard ritter who will be fixing these cameras
happy holidaze everyone!!
Peter

Miguel Coquis
4-Jan-2013, 17:11
no comment on Chamonix but is the camera really going back to China?? they do not have a service center here in the states and I'm assuming it will be richard ritter who will be fixing these cameras
happy holidaze everyone!!
Peter

Have anybody try to contact Richard Ritter recently ?
One man show could be dangerous. It is perhaps more convenient to have several alternatives.

Len Middleton
4-Jan-2013, 20:50
Have anybody try to contact Richard Ritter recently ?
One man show could be dangerous. It is perhaps more convenient to have several alternatives.

Had Richard do some work for me last year, and the work was first class and the service was excellent.

Everything is a risk, as even large firms can change policies and change their product or service offerings; as an example, see Kodak in Rochester, NY...

With a "one man show", it will greatly depend upon the character of the individual and of course their health and interests.

I would have no qualms about having Richard build a camera for me and I would expect the workmanship level to be high along with the after sales service. I do not however have any experience with his after sales service...

That's my opinion,

Len