PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 C-41 in 3010 - prewet or preheat (or both)?

LF_rookie_to_be
29-Sep-2011, 00:12
OK, this has probably been talked about a few times already, but it seems there are too many variables to have just one definite answer. Here it goes... Equipment: Jobo 3010 drum, Tetenal C-41 minilab chemicals (3-part dev, dev starter, bleach, C-41/E-6 fixer, 2-part stabilizer), Fuji 160S expired 2010. Requirements: Finest possible grain, no streaks at all, no color cast. I don't have a CPA, CPP or a roller base. What do you recommend? Preheating the drum, two prewets and 'drift through' temperature technique all cropped up as possible solutions. Any and all answers are welcome. Thanks.

polyglot
29-Sep-2011, 02:39
2 prewets for at least 5 mins total (drum spinning in 38C water) and spin the drum at about 50rpm (once per second) in 38C water, reversing every 2-3 revolutions while developing. If you don't have a base, use a BIG sink of water and use the tank's buoyancy. Be careful that it stays level though or you will underdevelop one end of each sheet.

LF_rookie_to_be
1-Oct-2011, 01:44
So prewets and a water bath with a constant temperature are what's really important. Thanks for the answer.

polyglot
6-Oct-2011, 02:23
Yes; the prewets are necessary to bring all the tank internals to temperature. Less important with a 3010 (which has an internal water jacket - note the drain slots on the bottom) than with spirals, but nevertheless helps a lot with consistency.

Ari
6-Oct-2011, 05:49
I presoak at 40˚C for only one minute, but I use a 2553 on a motorized base.
The instructions that came with the Tetenal advise that amount of time, but to fill the tank completely.

alps-art.ch
1-Jan-2019, 13:15
Manual for Tetenal Colortec C-41 says, in General instructions" section, p.7:

If development is uneven (sheet films), it is recommended that the rotation speed be
increased and/or the film be pre-washed for two minutes at process temperature.