PDA

View Full Version : Thoughtful writing on photography

Michael Alpert
28-Sep-2011, 09:39
Recently, I reread Bob Thall’s Epilogue to his book of photographs, The Perfect City. The Epilogue discusses Thall’s artistic work and earlier more-strictly documentary photography in Chicago This very clear presentation on Thall’s twenty-one year project is also a very thoughtful brief exploration of artistic photography in general. (I don’t feel that I can copy the Epilogue for the forum without violating my sense of ethical behavior concerning intellectual property. This fine book is easily available in libraries or through interlibrary loan.)

Now to my question: As many of you know, we live in an ocean of half-baked “artist statements” and less than half-baked opinions about photography that are published on the Web and elsewhere. So, what writing on photography have you found to be especially thoughtful? I am most interested in recent writing that in some way expresses what photography is as a vehicle for aesthetic experience.

Mark Sampson
28-Sep-2011, 09:53
The recent book I like best is Geoff Dyer's 'The Ongoing Moment'.

cyrus
28-Sep-2011, 10:18
I suggest reading up on the concept of "Visual Rhetoric" in art in general though it is of course applied to photography.

h2oman
28-Sep-2011, 11:41
If you are a landscape type I would suggest David Ward's "Landscape Within: Insights and Inspirations for Photographers."

Vaughn
28-Sep-2011, 11:55
Art & Fear, Ted Orland and David Bayles

The View From the Studio Door, Ted Orland

Written by photographers, but about making art in general.

anglophone1
28-Sep-2011, 13:26
Art & Fear, Ted Orland and David Bayles

The View From the Studio Door, Ted Orland

Written by photographers, but about making art in general.

+1

Pete Suttner
28-Sep-2011, 17:07
I guess everyone has their favorites. Two of mine are: Frank Gohlke - Thoughts on Landscape: Collected Writings and Interviews, and Robert Adams - Why People Photograph.

Pete

Doug Howk
29-Sep-2011, 02:03
Along with his other book mentioned above, David Ward's "Landscape Beyond" is also an intelligent read.

Though he may occasionally slip into the artspeak that we dislike, Lyle Rexer's books are worth reading. I have his "The Edge of Vision" as well as "Photography's Antiquarian Avante-Garde"

Thom Bennett
29-Sep-2011, 07:33
After Photography by Fred Ritchin.

Brian C. Miller
29-Sep-2011, 12:41
Bill Jay: Negative/ Positive: A Philosophy of Photography.
Bill Jay and David Hurn: On Being a Photographer: A Practical Guide, and On Looking at Photographs: A Practical Guide

Michael Alpert
30-Sep-2011, 12:40
I send my thanks to the forum members for their responses. I have never heard of some of these books. With my fall and winter reading in mind, I plan to look into your suggestions. Thanks again.

anglophone1
30-Sep-2011, 13:15
Bill Jay: Negative/ Positive: A Philosophy of Photography.
Bill Jay and David Hurn: On Being a Photographer: A Practical Guide, and On Looking at Photographs: A Practical Guide

Also +1

Mark Sawyer
30-Sep-2011, 16:44
John Szarkowski's Looking at Photographs

Robert Adams' Beauty in Photography and Why People Photograph

Susan Sontag's On Photography... NOT!!!

Merg Ross
30-Sep-2011, 17:22
Not recent, however an interesting view of photography written over a century ago. I think that some of the points are pertinent today.

Photography As a Fine Art, by Charles H. Caffin, 1901 (Doubleday, Page & Company, New York).

mdm
30-Sep-2011, 17:36
Stephen Shore 'The Nature of Photographs'. Builds an elegant conceptual framework and lots of pictures by all sorts of people and printed many ways.

Darin Boville
30-Sep-2011, 18:01
Not recent, however an interesting view of photography written over a century ago. I think that some of the points are pertinent today.

Photography As a Fine Art, by Charles H. Caffin, 1901 (Doubleday, Page & Company, New York).

I bought this a few weeks back and am looking forward to reading through it. My copy is the (probably) much easier to find "Amphoto Facsimile" edition. It looks like a book from 1901 in terms of cover, paper, font, etc but the copyright says 1972. I wonder what other books where in the Amphoto series?

--Darin

Ari
30-Sep-2011, 18:52
If I'm not in the mood for reading, I just watch 8 1/2; everything's there.

Brian Ellis
30-Sep-2011, 21:12
I like anything by John Szarkowski. For things not already mentioned, A.D. Coleman, "Critical Focus" and "Photography in Print," Vicki Goldberg, ed. (a collection of essays).