PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Deardorff 810 Equipment?

NinerMaine
25-Sep-2011, 17:14
Hello,

I graduated School of Visual Arts over 20 years ago with a BFA in photography. During my last two years at SVA and for about 5 years afterwards I used my Deardorff 8x10. I have not used it or the Gitzo tri-pod, film holders and lens in about 15 years. I am involved in other art media since leaving photography and am now considering selling all my large format equipment and using the funds to resupply what I am currently working in. I live in rural Maine and am out of touch with things photographic. I am really very clueless as to what the value is of this equipment these days and the best place to sell them.

Can anyone recommend some place where I can get a sense of its value?

How about some places where I might be able to sell them?

And most importantly, is large format equipment still sought after like it was 20 years ago, or has the demand for it fallen off the cliff like 35 mm analogue equipment?

Thanks for your input.

vinny
25-Sep-2011, 17:28
Ebay, completed listings.

John Kasaian
Condition is everything.

BarryS
A typical Deardorff V8 (with front swings) in good user condition is worth maybe $1200-1500. If it's a beater with some issues, the price could push below $1000, if it's in very fine condition, then closer to $2000. Film holders $25-45 depending on model, age, and condition. After one month, you can post in the classifieds here--which is an excellent place to sell LF items.

TheDeardorffGuy
25-Sep-2011, 18:56
All really good answers

NinerMaine
30-Sep-2011, 14:02
Thank you for the replies. The problem with Ebay now is that they do not allow access to the data for more than 2 weeks or so. It is much harder to price an item that does not come up very often.

I am glad to hear that the equipment still has some value. It is a good user camera with a very good bottom plate and bellows (both replaced in 87). It is an early camera but was adapted for front swings. All parts and functions work well. The wood had been refinished and there is some wear here and there on the wood. Sounds like it would be around $1200.

Now I will have to sit down and see if I can really let go of this stuff.

It is nice to hear from you again Ken. We communicated via email about 15 years ago and you helped me figure out when the camera was made. Glad to see you are still involved with these great cameras.

TheDeardorffGuy
30-Sep-2011, 14:18
Thank you for the replies. The problem with Ebay now is that they do not allow access to the data for more than 2 weeks or so. It is much harder to price an item that does not come up very often.

I am glad to hear that the equipment still has some value. It is a good user camera with a very good bottom plate and bellows (both replaced in 87). It is an early camera but was adapted for front swings. All parts and functions work well. The wood had been refinished and there is some wear here and there on the wood. Sounds like it would be around $1200.

Now I will have to sit down and see if I can really let go of this stuff.

It is nice to hear from you again Ken. We communicated via email about 15 years ago and you helped me figure out when the camera was made. Glad to see you are still involved with these great cameras.

I do enjoy working on them. I just wish everyone would lube 'em. Good luck with it.

grdglass
19-Oct-2011, 07:34
You can submit online or call keh.com and usedcamerabuyer.com to receive quotes. They will be low. I would also call B&H and Adorama to see if they will give you a rough estimate. Whatever quotes you get, I would almost double them because that is what those dealers do. Then, hope you find an interested person through a private ad. Have you placed an ad on this forum?

I gave up large format a few years ago but just uncovered an 8x10 Deardorff board with a Packard Shutter. I joined this forum and am waiting my 30 days until I can post an ad. These things are hard to sell. Good luck.

John Kasaian
19-Oct-2011, 07:43
Use the thing!
At the very least it is an artifact from your own past and deserves a place of historical importance.
At the most it can be a tool for bringing the beauty of the natural world to a humanity deprived of that beauty.
If you need the $$, sell your platlets to the blood bank instead.