PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Portra 400 in Rodinal

Sean Galbraith
24-Sep-2011, 18:21
I accidentally developed a sheet of new Portra 400 in with some FP4.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6164/6179710102_c1e35f612e_b.jpg

vinny
24-Sep-2011, 19:08
that's why it's $3+ a sheet, it's just that good.

IanMazursky
25-Sep-2011, 01:00
That’s pretty good considering, ive that done accidentally myself a few times when i forgot to label my film holders.
Surprisingly the results are usable when scanned, just don’t try it the other way round.
B&W in C-41 or E6 doesn’t work. Besides the high heat, the bleach will remove all of the silver IIRC.
Ive done that a few times too :D I ended up with some nice clear B&W film.

Emil Schildt
25-Sep-2011, 08:39
That’s pretty good considering, ive that done accidentally myself a few times when i forgot to label my film holders.
Surprisingly the results are usable when scanned, just don’t try it the other way round.
B&W in C-41 or E6 doesn’t work. Besides the high heat, the bleach will remove all of the silver IIRC.
Ive done that a few times too :D I ended up with some nice clear B&W film.

hmm - I'v heard that some reccommend to use C41 developer for Tech Pan (normal fix though..)

Daniel Stone
25-Sep-2011, 08:54
just don't use the bleach step, cause you'll have "no mo silva!"(B/W film souped in E-6/C41 process)

-Dan

IanMazursky
25-Sep-2011, 16:26
What Dan said, the bleach in both C41 and E6 will remove all of the silver.
But if you want to have clear film to test emulsion coating with, that might not be a bad way to go.

Rain Dance
25-Sep-2011, 18:21
So you can develop C41 in BW chems? Gotta try that! Do I proceed as tho I am going thru a normal BW film?

Michael Cienfuegos
25-Sep-2011, 20:39
So you can develop C41 in BW chems? Gotta try that! Do I proceed as tho I am going thru a normal BW film?

Just remember what Vinny said: "$3.00 / sheet !"

SMBooth
26-Sep-2011, 00:20
Don't you still get the orange mask that is mighty hard to print through.

IanMazursky
26-Sep-2011, 01:43
The orange mask is a dye in the C41 emulsion. IIRC it was still there, but this mistake was a while back.
I didn’t print the negs i accidentally developed, just drum scanned them.
It came out ok, the shots weren’t that special to begin with.

If you scratch C41 film, you can see that the emulsion is dyed orange.
You can even make some cool designs by scratching it. Depending on how you look at it, its either a $3 wasted failure or a priceless piece of art :D
I remember seeing someone that in View Camera mag that did something like that on Type 55. I thought it was really cool.

Sean Galbraith
28-Sep-2011, 20:00
Don't you still get the orange mask that is mighty hard to print through.

I don't print, so it isn't an issue. I just scan.

Sean Galbraith
28-Sep-2011, 20:01

Yup. This sheet was in with some other B&W films, and I was developing normally for those.