PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 lenses

Fred_L
24-Sep-2011, 08:09
Hello!

My name is Fred, and I am living in France.
First I would like to appologize for my English. I am not fluent and if you don't understand something, please ask!!!

I am collecting and using cameras for a long time, especially medium format and in black and white

I just need to know where I can find information, or who could help me a little bit.

I bought one year ago here in France a full set 8x10 Sinar Norma with a lot of accessories (4 big aluminium cases). It was the camera of a professional who wanted to be retired.
The camera came with 6 lenses of wich some of them seems to be not used in Europe, but more in USA.
If I did not any mistakes, the lenses are:
Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 12in. f:9,
Schneider Apochromat ARTAR Red Dot 16.5in. f:9.5,
C.P. GOERZ DAGOR Gold Rim 8 ¼ in. f:6.8,
Schneider Trigor Blue Dot 14in. f:11,
Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 90mm f:8,
Nikkor-T ED 600mm f:9 with Copal-3 shutter
Only the Nikkor has a shutter. The 5 others ar on sinar plate mounted. I can send pictures of these lenses.

I don’t know what to think about these lenses because I have found so many different informations about the type of lens, the use of lenses and the value too.
I have not decided if I will keep the camera or if I sell it..It depends on what could be the value exchange in cameras I am collecting.

Thank you very much

Best regards

Fred

cdholden
24-Sep-2011, 08:20
Glass is glass is glass. It makes no difference where it comes from, only what you do with it.
That is a very nice camera set that you received. Some of your lenses will not cover the 8x10 format, so I hope you have reducer backs in your other cases for 5x7 or 4x5.
You have a few lenses that would fetch a nice sum if sold individually. If you work in multiple formats, there is no shame in any of it. I would keep it all. It's a nice tool box to work from.

Chris

EdWorkman
24-Sep-2011, 08:32
Fred
I'd give you an A- for your use of english.
You must understand that, if your message were attibuted to a high school senior in the US, it would receive a grade of A+. One giveaway to your better-english-as-a-second-language-than-most-folks'-first is your "I am collecting..", rather than "I have been collecting", but at that it appears that most USers have forgotten there are verb tenses for a reason, and your use make a heck of a lot more sense than a typical so-called "journalist" 's headline " Man Dies..." which I have always considered to be a one time event. Please deduct several points for my too-long sentence, and don't hesitate to write again.
regards
Ed

cyrus
25-Sep-2011, 06:18
Oh my God your perfect English is terrible!
All items quite desirable. For me, the Gold Rim Dagor and then the Red Dot Artar and then the Super Angulon. You can get an idea of the current prices for these by checking the "completed" auctions on Ebay using their advanced search function plus the websites of major 2nd hand camera stores in your area. Seems to me as an American who visited French used camera stores that things are much more expensive there.

Dan Fromm
25-Sep-2011, 06:39
Fred, look on galerie-photo.info, the French LF site. There are people there who speak your language and use the lenses you have.

I thought I posted this news here in French, have no idea why the post disappeared.

carverlux
25-Sep-2011, 08:12
Hello Fred,

Every one of your lenses listed has been valued by serious photographers over the past 50 years and would be the top choice for a given task. I would be happy to use any one of them with full confidence for the right assignment.

The Gold Rim Dagor and Trigor usually fetch high prices at auctions because of their reputation and scarcity. The Sinar Norma in 8x10 is also getting hard to find now so its value at auction has also been steadily climbing. Therefore, from a purely collector's perspective, you have something very worthwhile keeping.

You can find plenty of information on these items from scans of original brochures at http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html and as already suggested, eBay is a good resource for the current prices. If you do decide to sell anything, please do send me a PM ;-)

Good luck!
carver

Fred_L
26-Sep-2011, 09:55
First of all, I would like to thak you all for your answers..
I have so often been writing in some french forums without any comments.....

I know that glass is glass:) . i just wanted to say that I think some of these lenses are not common in Europe. And I haven't seen auction on ebay Europe for 2 or 3 models.
I send some pictures in order to verify if I am not wrong with the models.
The camera has a lot of accesories, including reduction backs in 4x5in. It has also a Copal shutter and more than 200 gelatin filters. I need to make a precise inventory

I think I will never use this camera. 6x9cm is the largest format I work with. Exceptionnally, I tried 4x5 in on Speed Graphic, but I feel not confortable.

Once again, if you have 2/3 min, please take a look at the pictures... It's only lenses pics, but if you need pictures of the body and accessories, please tell me.

Thank's a lot

Fred

Fred_L
26-Sep-2011, 09:59
I try to join some more pictures.
I don't put picture of the Super Angulon but it is available...
All lenses with front and back covers..

Thank's

Fred

GPS
26-Sep-2011, 10:01

Once again, if you have 2/3 min, please take a look at the pictures... It's only lenses pics, but if you need pictures of the body and accessories, please tell me.

Thank's a lot

Fred

So Fred, you know that selling on this forum is possible only after a 1 month waiting period, don't you... ;)

GPS
26-Sep-2011, 10:19
Hello!

I just need to know where I can find information, or who could help me a little bit.

If I did not any mistakes, the lenses are:
Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 12in. f:9,
Schneider Apochromat ARTAR Red Dot 16.5in. f:9.5,
C.P. GOERZ DAGOR Gold Rim 8 ¼ in. f:6.8,
Schneider Trigor Blue Dot 14in. f:11,
Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 90mm f:8,
Nikkor-T ED 600mm f:9 with Copal-3 shutter
Thank you very much

Best regards

Fred

Ever heard of Google?? ;)

Fred_L
26-Sep-2011, 10:29
Thank you for your message!!

I am sorry, I did not read carefully!:mad:
But nothing is urgent and I am not sure wanting to sell.
It is just because these 4 metal boxes are in my room for more than one year, and I tried to get information here in France with no success.
So I wish to be sure about the exact lenses I have.
When I will be able to have an idea of the value of this set, I will decide if I keep it for collection, or if I sell it in order to improve my classic format collection!!
For sure, I will respect the rules of this forum.
And for sure, if I sell one day, i will remind people and forum who helped me and give them priority!!!

Best regards

Fred

GPS
26-Sep-2011, 10:34
Thank you for your message!!
It is just because these 4 metal boxes are in my room for more than one year, and I tried to get information here in France with no success.
Fred

For goodness sake Fred, you don't have Google in France? You can read tons about your lenses if you wish, see prices of new and old etc. etc.

Fred_L
26-Sep-2011, 10:36
For sure I search via google:D

But no information in French about these lenses:(
All information in English with so many details and so many different names that I am not sure of the exact model. For instance, I suppose the Dagor is a gold rim, because Kevin cameras has one to sell for more than one year!! But I am not sure it is!!
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370411572288&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I suppose you know the capacity of kevin Camera to give a goo price level?:D

Thank you very much!

Fred

GPS
26-Sep-2011, 10:46
For sure I search via google
But no information in French about these lenses:(
All information in English with so many details and so many different names that I am not sure of the exact model. For instance, I suppose the Dagor is a gold rim, because Kevin cameras has one to sell for more than one year!! But I am not sure it is!!

I suppose you know the capacity of kevin Camera to give a goo price level?

Thank you very much!

Fred

Somehow, don't even know how, I suppose that English is not a difficult language for you when speaking about lenses. ;) And the number of details would not be less confusing in French either, you know, the net...
How do you know the capacity of Kevin Camera to give a price level without reading it in French, I wonder...;)
Good luck! :)
(so as Dann said, did you contact the French LF forum? And..?) Bisou!

BrianShaw
26-Sep-2011, 11:18
Hi Fred. Welcome to the forum. I hope you find the information you seek and stay for a while. You actually communicate quite well (or is that "good") in English and have a great disposition. By the way, I've had the same language problems with the Schneider archives... where all of the material is in German, and I speak just schnitzel, wurst, and ausfart. :)

BrianShaw
26-Sep-2011, 11:22
Hi Fred.

Ooops, I should have said, "Bonjour, Fred!"

Fred_L
26-Sep-2011, 11:31
Ah Ah!!:)

It is exactly the same if you know a little bit about wine and want to have more detail about Bordeaux.......
You go to google and try to have informations. You will get some, but I think that after reading all topics, you will be a little bit confused!:D
You look at Bordeaux wine sellers on ebay.......if it is a professional who gives you information, you have chance to pay the good price for him...there's a lot of Kevin wines here..
May be you will prefer to discuss with someone (like me,,,:p ) in a forum, and you will get all what you have ever wanted to know about wine...May be you will get the one you never tasted! for the best price for domestic market..not for toutists.!!
I am ready to give all my knowledge in wines for people who need it!!!
An d as I taste for a long time, you will not be disapointed!!

Don't you think it is easier to discuss than to try to read excel files?

Last point about Kevin Cameras...... When a nice item stands more than one year at same price on ebay with no sales, I don't wonder if price is good. I am sure it is not, event I am American, German, Japanese or French.....:cool:

Fred

arthur berger
26-Sep-2011, 11:39
Fred: Your 12" Apo Ronar, 16.5" Artar, 8" Dagor and 14" Trigor are all in barrels and not in shutters . That makes them worth less than if mounted in a shutter. By the way , the14 " Trigor looks like it is mounted backwards on the lensboard. If I remember that lens it should say Trigor with the blue dot on the front.

GPS
26-Sep-2011, 11:44
Ah Ah!!:)
I am ready to give all my knowledge in wines for people who need it!!!
An d as I taste for a long time, you will not be disapointed!!
Fred

Look Fred,
keep the knowledge, give me the wine! How about that?

Fred_L
26-Sep-2011, 14:46
Impossible....

Wine is something to share only:)
And knowledge comes after long time of tasting...:D

John Kasaian
26-Sep-2011, 15:45
Fred, you'll find plenty of information on lenses by clicking on "LF Homepage" on the blue banner at the top of this page. :)

ashlee52
30-Sep-2011, 10:05
Fred

The set up you have is what a 1990's commercial photographer would use in the studio, particularly for table top and product photography... the combination of electronic shutters, and "shutter-less" barrel lenses" are more accurate and modern. Most of us use the older style mechanical shutters in our lenses because we shoot out in the field and often with a variety of cameras. So your lenses, while excellent are not set up for the majority of non-commercial photographers, even though they could be used in the field coupled with a battery powered electronic shutter. Your camera is of course very valuable... particularly in North America or China where large format is most popular. In round numbers your kit is probably worth $2,000 to $3,000... particularly if you could find a studio oriented photographer who wanted it.

Fred_L
2-Oct-2011, 04:30
Thank you for your post, and for the last one ..!!:)
The reason the lenses are in barrel is certainly due to the fact the camera comes with a copal shutter..
In fact, I am not shure this set will interest someone here in western Europe...
And to sell it in North America or in China is not so easy... It is big and heavy:confused:

I don't really know what to do.....:confused:

Thank you for your support

Fred