PDA

View Full Version : Super Graphic accessory advice: Cable Release Pistol Grip?

unixrevolution
23-Sep-2011, 05:31
After shooting and falling in love with the "pistol grip" shutter release on my Polaroid 600se, I remembered seeing similar things for Mamiya cameras and decided I should look around for something similar for my Super Graphic, since I don't want to rely on either tripping the shutter manually at the lens or getting the dodgy remote solenoid and its 45 volts worth of batteries working.

I haven't really found anything, unfortunately. Does anybody know of a good "pistol grip" that mounts in the tripod socket and has a cable-release remote trigger like the Polaroid/Mamiya Universal?

I've seen what might be exactly that for Linhofs, but they're expensive, and for Mamiyas, but they press the body shutter button directly, and for Nikons, but they mount to the bottom of the camera and for the Super Graphic that'd be more awkward than without a grip at all. Ideally, it should be like a flash bracket/handle with a cable release trigger on the grip.

Ideas?

BrianShaw
23-Sep-2011, 07:31
I use the electric solenoid release, but on the few times i've used a lens that was not on a SuperGraphic board I used a cable release. One can hold the camera with one hand (left, using the strap) and support the camera at the bed with the right hand, and simultaneously with the right had operate a cable release. It's a bit clunky but can be done. I've also used my right had to support the camera weight, under the bed, and operated the cable release with the left hand, which was also steadying the camera with the hand strap.

Kuzano
23-Sep-2011, 07:31
The Graflex XL was the Graflex Press camera and had a very nice side pistol grip. There was also a bottom pistol grip that mounted in the bottom tripod socket.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pistol side grip from a Graflex XL possibly modified to fit. The Graflex XL grip is much like the Mamiya Press/Polaroid 600 SE grip, but is actually surface textured for a better gripping surface. Shutter release protrudes out the front.

It's a very robust grip and has a plate mount that mounts to the side of of Graflex XL which would provide some options for modification. On the Graflex XL, the mount for this grip has a positioning pin and a threaded thumbwheel for mounting. The grip can then be mounted at any angle position you like. In fact, I suspect you can switch the plate around for mounting on either the left or right side of the body. One variant has a threaded stud on top that has a ball swivel for accessories. This swiveling stud could also be used as a tripod socket grip for the bottom of the camera. It's a very versatile doohickey, from the makers who brought you all the wonderful Graflex products.

I have one of these in my inventory somewhere, and would take a picture, but my stuff is in disarray, moving things around right now. Go to eBay and search Graflex XL (either the camera's, or the grip... they often show there).

One with the swivel top:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grip-Cable-Release-Graflex-XL-Left-Hand-/330616613412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfa492a24

One without the top swivel, but showing the standard side mount plate better:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K729-Graflex-XL-Grip-/200654408075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb7ef498b

Pricing is typical of what I see them selling for regularly on eBay. Same for the Mamiya side grips when you find them.

ghe67
23-Sep-2011, 07:34
Hi,
I have one for the 2x3 Century or Speed/Crown Graphic, RH mounting bracket.
If it fit your camera I would be happy to sell it.
Giorgio

unixrevolution
23-Sep-2011, 07:55
I use the electric solenoid release, but on the few times i've used a lens that was not on a SuperGraphic board I used a cable release. One can hold the camera with one hand (left, using the strap) and support the camera at the bed with the right hand, and simultaneously with the right had operate a cable release. It's a bit clunky but can be done. I've also used my right had to support the camera weight, under the bed, and operated the cable release with the left hand, which was also steadying the camera with the hand strap.

This is the other problem. I don't want to have to rely on getting Super Graphic lensboards, either. One of the lenses my SG came with is on a standard Speed lens board so I'm already at a disadvantage.

Jon Shiu
23-Sep-2011, 07:59
I think they are fairly common to have a pistol grip bracket with hole to hold the cable release nearby the finger. Check on ebay.

Jon

BrianShaw
23-Sep-2011, 08:04
This is the other problem. I don't want to have to rely on getting Super Graphic lensboards, either. One of the lenses my SG came with is on a standard Speed lens board so I'm already at a disadvantage.

The Supergraphic lensboards are not easy to find. But as I said try using just a cable release even without a pistol grip. There is plenty of camera to hold on to! You may or may not want a handle. The real disadvantage will be using a lens without cable release capabability!

On a side note, though... It sounds like you plan to shoot hand-held. How are you planning on focussing with a variety of lenses? Will they all be properly cammed?

unixrevolution
23-Sep-2011, 08:15
The Supergraphic lensboards are not easy to find. But as I said try using just a cable release even without a pistol grip. There is plenty of camera to hold on to! You may or may not want a handle. The real disadvantage will be using a lens without cable release capabability!

On a side note, though... It sounds like you plan to shoot hand-held. How are you planning on focussing with a variety of lenses? Will they all be properly cammed?

I'll give that a shot, but as I said, I fell in love with my 600se...I also have a few cameras where a universal pistol grip/trigger thingy will be useful other than the SG.

Here's basically what i'd like, only with a cable release in it. Maybe I can mod it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-Flash-Bracket-Arm-Holder-Wood-Grip-Left-Hand-SLR-/170698560728?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item27be6d54d8

As far as handheld, YES, I plan to do a lot of that, shooting 4x5 Fuji Instant and using the SG as a massive polaroid. My setup has a 90 and a 135, both cammed, and I plan to make or buy a cam for the 150 I have in my Toyo. The overall plan is to put all my 4x5 LF lenses in Graphic boards, and get the Graphic>Toyo adapter board for my Monorail.

ghe67
23-Sep-2011, 09:33
Here some pics of the pistol grip.
Take a look to see if will fit your camera.
Giorgio

John Koehrer
23-Sep-2011, 10:47
There seems to be a little confusion regarding pistol grip and side mount grip.
The link by kuzano for the swivel top is a true pistol grip.
It mounts to the bottom of the camera and centers the weight over the hand. The CR goes to the shutter.
The others are side mount grips and they move the center of gravity to the side almost asking to have the camera tilt.
The bracket in #8 is a side grip. It's upside down in the picture, the grip itself would be next to the camera body. Some of these are available with a cable release.

banjo
23-Sep-2011, 11:15
there is not a tripod mounting hole on the lift side of a super graphic / supre speed
to mount a XL or 23 Pistol Grip to

BUT Giorgio you could send it to me!!

So you would have to Find a Pistol Grip that mounts to the tripod hole then come
up on the lift side to the Grip an"" L braket"" Vivitar like ebay #200645915622

Or then Linhof #290611141474

unixrevolution
23-Sep-2011, 11:48
There seems to be a little confusion regarding pistol grip and side mount grip.
The link by kuzano for the swivel top is a true pistol grip.
It mounts to the bottom of the camera and centers the weight over the hand. The CR goes to the shutter.
The others are side mount grips and they move the center of gravity to the side almost asking to have the camera tilt.
The bracket in #8 is a side grip. It's upside down in the picture, the grip itself would be next to the camera body. Some of these are available with a cable release.

Thanks for the clarification! I called both types Pistol Grips because of the shape of the handle.

The side mount grip is what my 600se has, and is what im truing to replicate. The tilt will be managed because my focusing hand will hold up the camera bed, much as the focusing hand on the SE holds up the lens.

al olson
23-Sep-2011, 13:54
Back in the 50s when I had my first Super Graphic, I had a strobe head that mounted to the top of the battery tube (without batteries, of course) of a standard flash unit. This provided a solid hand grip for the right hand, focusing and shutter release were accomplished with the left.

About twelve years ago when I acquired another Super Graphic, I bought another battery tube (sans reflector) to use as a hand grip. It is very convenient because it attaches and releases in a firm, but quick and easy manner.

In addition, years ago, I procured a Sunpak hand grip (left-handed) that mounts to the tripod socket of any camera. It has a cable release positioned for use with the trigger finger. It also has a hot shoe on top of the grip which can be connected to the shutter with a PC cord. (When I am shooting hand held, sometimes I use both the flash grip and the Sunpak hand grip.) I have not seen these grips available for several years, but with a little patience you might find one on the internet.

ghe67
23-Sep-2011, 14:06
there is not a tripod mounting hole on the lift side of a super graphic / supre speed
to mount a XL or 23 Pistol Grip to

BUT Giorgio you could send it to me!!

So you would have to Find a Pistol Grip that mounts to the tripod hole then come
up on the lift side to the Grip an"" L braket"" Vivitar like ebay #200645915622

Or then Linhof #290611141474

Guys,
the handle grip in the pics has only the side mounting bracket, but like the XL type it could be used as a pistol grip with the accessory mount.
I have this item for my XL and it's just a simple threaded rod on the top of the handle that screws on the camera tripod mount.
This type of handle is a handle grip and pistol grip at the same time but I have not the accessory for the job.
Giorgio

al olson
23-Sep-2011, 14:11
After my earlier response, I checked Adorama and B&H to see if they have the grip I mentioned. I did not see any new ones, but there is a used Pro grip that could be what I have. There is no photo so you would have to call and get a description.

http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/Default.aspx?searchinfo=sunpak%20grip

Jim Andrada
23-Sep-2011, 19:00
Something like this???

Jim Andrada
23-Sep-2011, 19:06
I just got this camera a week or so ago and someone had fitted a Linhof grip to it. It really does need support from the right hand. I've thought about getting one of the two handed grips that the video guys use or maybe even a shoulder stock of some kind.

unixrevolution
24-Sep-2011, 22:53
I just got this camera a week or so ago and someone had fitted a Linhof grip to it. It really does need support from the right hand. I've thought about getting one of the two handed grips that the video guys use or maybe even a shoulder stock of some kind.

Jim, that grip would be absolutely perfect if it had a cable release in it.

unixrevolution
29-Sep-2011, 08:01
Update: John K. is selling me a Vivitar side-mount tripod-screw grip handle cold shoe cable release...thingy. I think it may be exactly what I wanted. We'll see when it arrives. :)

Neal Chaves
1-Oct-2011, 09:11
On a Graphic that had a side-mounted flash bracket, I made a useful grip with a wood dowel the right diameter to fit in Graphic flash gun clamps. Then I drilled a hole through at an angle to take a cable release. Worked great.

unixrevolution
4-Oct-2011, 05:21
Another Update: The side-mount grip with cable release that John K sent me is absolutely exactly what I wanted. I'll post a pic of the SG with the grip attatched soon.