PDA

View Full Version : Considering a new print/film washer

John Kasaian
22-Sep-2011, 13:08
I ran some film through the Versalab this afternoon and was thinking about getting something which could do the job with less water(yes, we got put on a water meter this year :( and while I irrigate my landscape with the wash water our local authorities mandated watering lawns on specific days so technically I could get a citation for washing my film on the wrong day while reusing the dischaged water :eek: ). Ideally it would handle 16x20 prints and 12x20 sheet film, but even something that only accomodates 8x10 would be of interest since 90% of what I do is 8x10 contacts.
What do you use? :confused:

Daniel Stone
22-Sep-2011, 16:01
8x10(or 4x5) contacts are my "norm". Occasionally an 11x14 enlargement from 2 1/4. Not as much these days though. I'm saving up for an Inglis 8x10 washer. Larger prints than 8x10 I'll use a tray siphon with a 16x20 deep tray, with tiny holes drilled at one end(like 1/32"). Hypo is heavier than water, so exiting out the bottom, rather than flowing over the top is the best thing, IMO. I don't have stacks of 11x14 paper floating in it, usually 2-3 at a time MAX, so I can rotate the prints for a good, thorough wash. It also lets the paper diffuse the fixer out, rather than blasting it out, potentially damaging the emulsion.

Lots of people like them:

http://www.alistairinglis.com/archival_washers.htm

-Dan

DanK
22-Sep-2011, 17:41
I use the Gravity Works 20x24 print washer, no complaints and plenty of room for long printing sessions (I print 8x10 primarily)...can regulate the rinse water through the bottom, and over the top....

If I were to replace it, I'd probably go the same route. But, would enjoy a washer with completely isolated slots (or 4 sets of 3 slots isolated together) and separate water controls for each....so I wouldn't have to fill the entire washer for only a few prints....

Dan

Richard Wasserman
22-Sep-2011, 17:56
I have a couple Summitek washers which I like a lot. Unfortunately they are no longer in production. Used maybe?

Ari
22-Sep-2011, 18:12
Kostiner 11x14; I rarely print larger than 8x10.

jeroldharter
22-Sep-2011, 21:48
For the prints, see if yu can find a Rosy Products/Arkay stainless steel washer. It has a plastic insert for prints.

For film, Inglis would suit your needs.

Steve Goldstein
23-Sep-2011, 04:13
Why couldn't the Inglis 8x10 film washer be used for prints?

joselsgil
25-Sep-2011, 14:03
John,

I would second the Gravity Works print/film washer. I picked up a 20X24 inch used one for dirt cheap and it works great and uses very little water once it fills up. To date, I have only washed up to 16X20 inch prints with it. IIRC, these were also sold under the Calumet brand name. Dividers are easy to come by, as they look just like my kitchen's flush panel lights.

The little amount of runoff water can be saved and used for landscaping. The discharge hose is a small 3/8" or 1/2" hose.

I am very surprised that you guys up in the Central Valley area have been put on a tight water restrictions. But FYI, most cities that have water conservation programs, don't have the manpower to have weekend patrols. Also, many cities are a very cautious about giving out tickets as many lawyers are itching to take them to court and fight the citations. The most any will do at this time is talk to you about using too much water. With the high snow pack in the Sierras, there has not been too much discussion about water rationing this year.

GhoSStrider
27-Sep-2011, 06:46

Before this thread sinks too low and gets forgotten about, I'm curious about this, as well.

Michael Kadillak
30-Sep-2011, 06:45
Before this thread sinks too low and gets forgotten about, I'm curious about this, as well.

You could in fact put prints in the film washer if you trimmed the printing paper to the precise proportions of 8x10 sheet film so they would fit in the dedicated side slots as they are proportion specific. You would need double weight paper to be rigid enough but it is a great idea and there is absolutely no reason why this would not work.

jeroldharter
30-Sep-2011, 07:44

The Inglis film washer does not have dividers. It has fairly precise, angled slots for the edges of each sheet. Paper would flop around too much and the sheets would stick together.

Inglis makes print washers with dividers, but film might scratch if used in a print washer.

Michael Kadillak
30-Sep-2011, 07:51
The Inglis film washer does not have dividers. It has fairly precise, angled slots for the edges of each sheet. Paper would flop around too much and the sheets would stick together.

Inglis makes print washers with dividers, but film might scratch if used in a print washer.

That said if one used correct sized double weight paper that was more rigid and used the top aligner drop in slot device I bet it could serve a double purpose. I realize that this is a very narrow potential dual purpose and appreciate that the Inglis print washer is the best alternative for prints, but it just might be possible. I am going to give it a go next time I print some Lodima.

ic-racer
4-Oct-2011, 17:48
I ran some film through the Versalab this afternoon :

So does that one need a certain minimum rate to get the siphon going? Is this for film? How long does it need to wash film in that one? If it takes a long time, have you tried using Permawash?

Brian Ellis
4-Oct-2011, 18:27
I used a Zone VI Studios 11x14 washer for prints and a Salt Hill film washer for 4x5 film. For 8x10 film I used the print washer. Salt Hill went out of business many years ago but if you ever see their film washer available used grab it. I don't think Calumet still sells the Zone VI Studios washer but I'm not sure.