PDA

View Full Version : Bino Viewer or ground glass?

David G Hall
2-May-2002, 20:10
Howdy all...

I was walking around drooling at B&H yesterday, and was looking at a used binocular viewer. I've neither used one nor seen one used.

How are they? How does using a viewer compare to using a ground glass and darkcloth? Faster? Easier? Is it worth the added bulk?

And, this is a little naive, but how do you fine focus? Are they magnified enough or do you somehow pop it off and put a loupe to the gg underneath?

Thanks!

dgh

Ellis Vener
2-May-2002, 20:57
"...And, this is a little naive, but how do you fine focus? Are they magnified enough or do you somehow pop it off and put a loupe to the gg underneath? "

I am using the Bino reflex viewer for the Arca-Swiss. It is great especially on hot muggy days, for exterior shooting.

But for interior and still life work where the viewing light level is lower doing as you suggest and am checking my fine focus with a loupe.

zippy
2-May-2002, 23:12
Ellis, I wonder how difficult the Arca Swiss Bino is to remove for focus?? Is it something one could pop off and on repeatedly? Can the whole 4x5 frame be seen at once?? And does it weigh much?

Thanks-- David

Jennifer Waak
3-May-2002, 00:18
David (Goldes), the viewer is easy to pop on and off, has a magnifier in it, and allows you to see the entire frame. I live in Minneapolis and know you work at MCAD so if you would like to see/borrow my A-S viewer some time let me know. I hardly shot using the dark cloth because I always felt suffocated under it -- buying the viewer completely changed my LF experience.

-Jen

Fender
3-May-2002, 22:35
I have to agree that the bino backs was one of my better purchases. I used the one for my old Sinar F2 and as Ellis pointed out, on a hot day there is no comparision, you don't mind taking the extra time to really study the composition. However, while very light, the Sinar unit was quite large and I could never figure out how to get it into a backpack along with the other gear, so it was pretty much only used for shots made at walking distance from the car. Perhaps the A-S unit is smaller.

I do a lot of pictures of puppies and show dogs. When I was using 4x5 for them, I found it was much easier to compose at a clients house using the bino then a dark cloth.

marcus schwier
7-May-2002, 17:25
The bino viewer at the Arca is a good choice, especialy you are shooting landanscapes and architecture, as I do. For studio work I have no experiance in that. Marcus Schwier