PDA

View Full Version : Enlarging lens as ULF lens?

cyrus
21-Sep-2011, 17:53
So as the For Sale/Wanted forum shows, I'm in the market for an old-timey inexpensive brass lens for an 11x14 I recently acquired which I will be using for wet plate. While I'm waiting for the right lens to collide meet the right credit card at the right time, I was wondering why not use an enlarging lens? I have two extra Schneider Componon 360mm's, and an extra 300mm, and a few Roddy 240mms. I think these should works, right? Is there a data source on their coverage etc? yes I know that enlarging lenses are "optimized for flat fields" but what does that mean, in practice anyway?

johnielvis
21-Sep-2011, 18:13
if the lens covers, it will work...acceptable? you must judge that for yourself.

ic-racer
21-Sep-2011, 20:20
So as the For Sale/Wanted forum shows, I'm in the market for an old-timey inexpensive brass lens for an 11x14 I recently acquired which I will be using for wet plate. While I'm waiting for the right lens to collide meet the right credit card at the right time, I was wondering why not use an enlarging lens? I have two extra Schneider Componon 360mm's, and an extra 300mm, and a few Roddy 240mms. I think these should works, right? Is there a data source on their coverage etc? yes I know that enlarging lenses are "optimized for flat fields" but what does that mean, in practice anyway?

There is a Schneider PDF out there that has the coverage when enlarging. That would be the coverage for 'macro' work when used with a camera. The enlarging lenses will be flat field at close range when used on a camera. The camera lens will be flat field when used at or near infinity. If you use the enlarging lens at infinity it will no longer be flat field and its coverage will be less than indicated in the Schneider enlarging lens brochure.

cyrus
21-Sep-2011, 20:38
if the lens covers, it will work...acceptable? you must judge that for yourself.

young grasshopper..
snark! :p

Dan Fromm
22-Sep-2011, 01:36
Cyrus, looked at from a great distance a Componon looks very much like a Symmar and a Rodagon -- these are what you have, aren't they? -- looks much like a Sironar.

Y'r question makes me wonder whether ULF is shrinking. A 360 Symmar will cover 10x12, all of the others you mention are for 8x10 or smaller.

Now go ask your lenses what they can do for you.

RichardRitter
22-Sep-2011, 04:37
Mount one of lenses and take the camera outside and try it. All you need to do is look at the focusing screen and you will find out if it will work.

cyrus
22-Sep-2011, 07:05
Well the problem is that to test it out I'd need to drill a new lensboard so I was hoping to save the hassle.

Tri Tran
22-Sep-2011, 10:03
Well the problem is that to test it out I'd need to drill a new lensboard so I was hoping to save the hassle.

There is another option for you to avoid all the hassle. As we often say no pain no gain so I ended up with a hole in my garage door dedicated for all my ULF IC lens test .
You might want to check this out, it covers 16x20 and possibly inexpensive but you will never know. It's Oboy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Large-Format-Goerz-14-F7-7-Dagor-SK-Grimes-Copal-NO-3-Shutter-/250896080306?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3a6a925db2

cyrus
22-Sep-2011, 10:22
There is another option for you to avoid all the hassle. As we often say no pain no gain so I ended up with a hole in my garage door dedicated for all my ULF IC lens test .
You might want to check this out, it covers 16x20 and possibly inexpensive but you will never know. It's Oboy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Large-Format-Goerz-14-F7-7-Dagor-SK-Grimes-Copal-NO-3-Shutter-/250896080306?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3a6a925db2

Thanks but I think the price there will at least double or triple the current bid before the auction is done - and I really don't need a shutter for wet plate work. (I do need a good lens cap though . . . )

RichardRitter
22-Sep-2011, 10:30

Card board or mat board and duct tape is good enough to test the lens to see the coverage of it.

cyrus
22-Sep-2011, 10:33
Card board or mat board and duct tape is good enough to test the lens to see the coverage of it.

The Comp 360 is far to heavy for cardboard. I'm going to try some old wall paneling or masonite but I don't have a drill bit to make a hole that size. We New Yorkers don't drive and don't have the room for tools etc. so getting stuff done takes more effort. It is quite hard to even find cut glass since the glaziers only work weekdays and keep bankers hours

cyrus
22-Sep-2011, 14:22
Eh, picked up an old 21" Eastman Anastigmat - should cover.

rjmeyer314
23-Sep-2011, 06:55
I have an 11x14 Seneca view camera. I've used a 360mm Schneider Componon on it, and it covers with plenty of movement. You can remove the front lens element and get a 620mm (a poor mans Symmar). This also more than covers.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Sep-2011, 07:08
Eh, picked up an old 21" Eastman Anastigmat - should cover.

I have used my 21 1/4" Anastigmat Kodak on my 8x10, 11x14, 8x20 and 14x17! Yes it will cover and is a great lens! Sharp as hell and a real sleeper. Great find. I got mine for about $50.00 and one sold on the bay for about that a while back.