PDA

View Full Version : Bill Brandt lighting methods

John Conway
21-Sep-2011, 15:34
I wasn't sure where to post this one, but this seems to be the right place. I am a Bill Brandt fanatic. Just today, I was reading one of my Brandt books. He didn't talk about his methods much at all. Even though I have searched the web for info on his lighting methods, I can't seem to find anything. Most of the outdoor work seems to be natural light, and even the portraiture seems to be available light, mostly. But the interior nudes, semi nudes, and tightly cropped surreal images are the ones I have tried to figure out. Most seem to be a basic one light flood set up with maybe a small second light thrown in there on some images. A hard ,direct light source, based on the shadows. I know he hated flash. I figured maybe some Brandt fans might know about his lighting.

Michael Alpert
28-Sep-2011, 10:00
There is a four-part interview on YouTube with Brandt that may offer some clues, at least, toward an answer to your question. The interview is from a series of interviews that was produced by the BBC in the 1980s. Brandt did not like to talk about his work. He even says that in the interview. He was a gentle soul who spoke in whispers, as you will see and hear. There is also a book called Bill Brandt. Behind the Camera. Photographs 1928-1983 that may offer more information. This book is easily available in the 1985 Aperture reprint. You should be able to find this book by searching ABE.com or Bookfinder.com or a similar website. I suspect that Brandt's lighting methods were very straightforward.

John Conway
1-Oct-2011, 22:50
I actually have four books on Bill Brandt, including the one you mentioned. A lot has been written about his cameras, but not the lighting. I'm going to check out the interview on Youtube. Thanks.

mdm
2-Oct-2011, 21:10
Its been years since I saw any of his pictures. Thanks for reminding me.

Frank Petronio
2-Oct-2011, 21:30
Just going by the era and level of sophistication, most likely common photo flood bulbs in spun aluminum reflectors, inexpensive and effective.

A generation ago, those "were" artificial lighting to most photographers.

He may have had better quality gear than that but his images look like bulbs and reflectors to me, no umbrellas or bouncing/diffusion.

anglophone1
2-Oct-2011, 23:51
Just going by the era and level of sophistication, most likely common photo flood bulbs in spun aluminum reflectors, inexpensive and effective.

A generation ago, those "were" artificial lighting to most photographers.

He may have had better quality gear than that but his images look like bulbs and reflectors to me, no umbrellas or bouncing/diffusion.

Two generations Frank!